Can I use multiple inputs for tableswitch, using diodes?

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Subaru_EA82_4EAT_AWD
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Can I use multiple inputs for tableswitch, using diodes?

Post by Subaru_EA82_4EAT_AWD »

Hi everyone, I am really enjoying my MS3+X and I am so impressed with how good it is so far,
The next thing I want to do is add a tableswitch for an extra VE table as my engine seems to want to run at slightly different AFR's when under load to when it's free-ballin'.
What I plan to do is use my 'Neutral' and 'Park' outputs from my Trans (both switching ground) to trigger the tableswitch.

Is there a way, using diodes I can make them both share the one tableswitch input that won't cause one to feed-back into the other?
I could do it using 2 relays, but diodes would be neater.
Please see the below picture, I am thinking that maybe I could put diodes where the dotted lines are, with the arrows pointed towards the MS3X, but I don't know enough about diodes to be sure.

thanks for the help!

Want a neat way to Check & Set Ignition timing AND CRANK the motor at the same time BY YOURSELF?
A little thing I made up... https://youtu.be/PajlPNF5mmQ
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Can I use multiple inputs for tableswitch, using diodes?

Post by slow_hemi6 »

I do this in an older car. As my car only allows the starter to operate in park or neutral I use the starter relay as the common trigger for table switch. I do this via a second small relay that grounds the input. The diode solution might work provided the voltage drop of around 0.6v does not prevent the cpu from seeing the input as a low. If the input circuit already has a diode in it (MS2 does) then 2x0.6 could have the low input at 1.2V. You would have to try it I guess.
The cathode (stripe end) of the diode has to go toward the grounding switches in the selector. This will block the voltage,present due to the indicators, when P or N is not selected but allow the input circuit to work when the selector grounds P or N switches.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
Subaru_EA82_4EAT_AWD
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Right, thanks!
Good to know my relay idea wasnt stupid, i think i'll do it that way to be sure.

For now ive set up a toggle switch to switch tables for testing purposes.
When ve table 3 is active, does ms3 use the same ignition table as ve1?
Also, is my idle ve table still valid in ve table 3?

I copied the settings from ve1 straight into ve3 and it runs a lot different...
Want a neat way to Check & Set Ignition timing AND CRANK the motor at the same time BY YOURSELF?
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

I would check what you have enabled upon switching on the Table Switch/ Dual fuel page. You also don't want any dual fuel stuff happening.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
Subaru_EA82_4EAT_AWD
Helpful MS/Extra'er

I tried it again this afternoon, and it is definately the 'idle VE' mode that is affecting it, with 'Idle VE' disabled, both maps run the same,
With it enabled, and when in the 'idle VE zone' VE1 runs nice but VE3 is aweful

Is 'Idle VE' only meant to alter VE1?

Would I be better using the 'Dual Fuel switching' function as it has more available options to toggle?

thanks.
2016-12-05_21.35.55.msq
Last edited by Subaru_EA82_4EAT_AWD on Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Subaru_EA82_4EAT_AWD
Helpful MS/Extra'er

...Actually now I look at it again, I am wondering if the Idle VE map labelled 'Idle VE Table - Dual Fuel' is chosen when using the table switch function.
I figured it was only for when actually using dual fuel, but it's worth a try.

I'll give it a go tomorrow.