Innovate MTX-L wideband settings

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ironwill11
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Innovate MTX-L wideband settings

Post by ironwill11 »

Does anyone else use the LC1/LC2 settings for their innovate MTX-L wideband? I have found that my digital gauge is giving me about 0.5 afr lower then what the gauge in Tunerstudio MS is showing. I was thinking about using the manual settings and just entering the voltages myself.

Will
mustangjp
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Innovate MTX-L wideband settings

Post by mustangjp »

I have that issue as well, and probably everyone else with an Innovate system. In talking with the tech department for Innovate the reason given for the difference is that gauge is showing the digital output from the controller and is the most accurate. What is shown in Tuner Studio is an analog output and due to some variance in the digital to analog conversion there's a error induced. I've never taken the time to make the adjustment, but I understand it's not to difficult.

Base upon what I was told, when making adjustments you'll want to make TS match the Innovate gauge.

Let us know how it goes if you make the changes.
MS2 on Ford 351C, custom internal crank trigger, FAST EZ-EFI TBI, LS truck coils in wasted spark
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

I run the same gauge and sensor which was out by approx 1 point in TS. My Tuner hAd same offset and recommended to change lower cal figure from 7.4 to 6.3 and now TS matches across range as well as with dyno O2.

Jim
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
MSPNP2 with 3.57 mainboard
Innovate WB O2 & soon to be external GM 3 bar MAP
FTDI USB interface on SD Android 5.1 head unit
TD05SL2-18g with external WG
HKS EBC running 17psi boost.
A2W IC with WI 50/50 meth/water
2swe
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 2swe »

I set the LC1 controller to output 2,5V during sensor warm-up, checked both outputs with multimeter (2,5v both) TS is showing 14,9 (right), gauge 15,0-15,1 (wrong).
with engine not running and LC1 on (full lean), TS sees 22,3 (right) and gauge 21,8 (wrong).
I tried different voltages, and the offset is still there, gauge 0,1-0,5 leaner.
I rather adjusted the gauge output to match TS..
1978 vw golf gti 16v itb cop full sequential MS2
1992 vw corrado 16v moonlight blue MS2
joelittel
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by joelittel »

How do I adjust Tuner Studio to match the gauge?
ironwill11
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ironwill11 »

joelittel wrote:How do I adjust Tuner Studio to match the gauge?
Go to where you select your O2 sensor type in the tool bar. Then use the custom settings and change the AFR to the corresponding voltage. I had to adjust the lower voltage down.

Will
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

Same here adjust lower value from 7.3 to 6.3. Leave upper one at 22.7 I believe.

Jim
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
joelittel
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by joelittel »

Thank you both.

Spent some time on this over the weekend and got them very close.

By next weekend they'll be dead on

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
BigBlockMopar
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by BigBlockMopar »

When I provided my MTX-L with its own relayed powersource, I got them AFR and MS3X to within 0.1 from each other.
But the MTX-L was still grounded at the steeringcolumn then.
As the MTX-L kept going into Error-mode and showing glitches and high spikes and stuff, I changed its groundwire to go directly to the battery.

Now the difference between them is 0.5 again.

And the MTX-L still has glitches and high spikes. Probably the O2-sensor that's acting up.
Daily driver: 1973 Dodge Dart - 360ci engine - 11.3:1cr - MS3x - ignition only. 42RH/A500 OD+LU transmission / 3.23 gears
--------------
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BigBlockMopar
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

Doubt if its the sensor as other controllers use the same Bosh sensor without an issue. Like you I also used a switched relay from battery to supply power to controller and wired exactly like manual states including grounds. If you search most of us that use the Innovate MTX have the same issue.
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by turbo conversion »

BigBlockMopar wrote:When I provided my MTX-L with its own relayed powersource, I got them AFR and MS3X to within 0.1 from each other.
As the MTX-L kept going into Error-mode and showing glitches and high spikes and stuff, I changed its groundwire to go directly to the battery.

And the MTX-L still has glitches and high spikes. Probably the O2-sensor that's acting up.
Ground the o2 sensor to the same place the MS is grounded (not at the battery) and then if needed calibrate voltage then leave it alone.

David
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd
ironwill11
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ironwill11 »

BigBlockMopar wrote:When I provided my MTX-L with its own relayed powersource, I got them AFR and MS3X to within 0.1 from each other.

Careful with this. I had a very similar problem and very shortly the MTX-l burned out. I did some research online and they did have a problem with this. I contacted innovate and they replaced it for free however, I was warned that the ground NEEDED to go back to the battery or they would not be responsible if it burned out again.
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

On a separate issue I notice my Gauge and TS data is still noisy even though its grounded all together (gauge better than TS). I'm fairly confident that the average reading is correct but when I look at other logs their AFR's are much more steady than mine. Does anyone use the averaging function in TS to smooth out data and what sort of values are used?

Jim
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
ironwill11
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ironwill11 »

benckj wrote:On a separate issue I notice my Gauge and TS data is still noisy even though its grounded all together (gauge better than TS). I'm fairly confident that the average reading is correct but when I look at other logs their AFR's are much more steady than mine. Does anyone use the averaging function in TS to smooth out data and what sort of values are used?

Jim

I am interested in this information as well.
joelittel
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by joelittel »

+1

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
BigBlockMopar
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by BigBlockMopar »

Just today I decided to re-ground the MTX-L to the engine block at the same ground-point the MS3x is connected.
Got sidetracked and forgot to check/compare the gauge's AFR-values with the MS3x-ecu.

For the comments above concerning noise, here's a screenshot of about a minute engine idling. Green line is AFR.
Daily driver: 1973 Dodge Dart - 360ci engine - 11.3:1cr - MS3x - ignition only. 42RH/A500 OD+LU transmission / 3.23 gears
--------------
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

All my ground wires are tied together at the block but I have much more noise than that. One of my issues is that the engine is located in centre of car and battery is up front. Large dedicated cable from battery to engine bay but there will always be cable resistance & capacitance. Still interested in smoothing the AFR curve through TS.

jim
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
SwedCharger-67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by SwedCharger-67 »

BigBlockMopar wrote:Just today I decided to re-ground the MTX-L to the engine block at the same ground-point the MS3x is connected.
Got sidetracked and forgot to check/compare the gauge's AFR-values with the MS3x-ecu.

For the comments above concerning noise, here's a screenshot of about a minute engine idling. Green line is AFR.
The AFR looks good there, very stable. What smoothing factor are you using?

It's a big no-no to have different grounding points. Between the different grounds you have a certain amount of resistance, and it creates strange voltages and currents in the system, worst case it can destroy electronics...doesn't matter what brand electronics you are using.
Martin, Sweden
Mopar 512 cui, 8.4 liters, high compression, fuel E85, full sequential control by MS3X, burning rubber just blipping the throttle... :D
BigBlockMopar
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by BigBlockMopar »

I don't recall having done any noise-filtering with the AFR.
It's probably the steady nature of an engine running on LPG fuel.

My setup is doing ignition-only for now, so AFR is just measured and logged.
I'm not quite happy how the engine's LPG carb is handling fuel (load) delivery lately.
But if I were to start controlling Fuel as well, I sure want the AFR gauge to be able to keep working longer than 5-10minutes and not go into E8-error code.
On another site somewhere I read some think it might be caused the O2-sensor is getting too hot, and some copper/aluminum heatsink on the outside could help here, or mount the sensor further downstream.
--------------
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

I'm going to try smoothing the lambda averaging lag (under general settings) a tad and see if it makes a diff. Notice it's set to 60% and all other sensors are 50%. Will knock it down to 50 and see how it looks.

Jim
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte