Rich Idle Cold, Great Idle Hot

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

MustangMike
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Rich Idle Cold, Great Idle Hot

Post by MustangMike »

I see, I will try that, using 1ms as the dead time I added .17ms to the Ford offsets and will use those as %
Thanks guys, may not be able to try this until next weekend but I will reply.

Wow that throws a wrench into figuring out my Ford blue 39lb injectors on my terminator...
MS-III 3.0, MS3x
65 Cobra Daytona FFR, Terminator 4.6 4v, TKO 600
MustangMike
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Rich Idle Cold, Great Idle Hot (Mostly Solved)

Post by MustangMike »

Just an update. The cold idle is much better now but we can still work on it a little.
It starts right up at 77 deg and idles up to operating temp keeping the AFR close to commanded with no throttle. Log attached.
I believe the biggest issue we had was what Ashfords diaged, being the incorrect deadtime adding too much unaccounted for fuel. We went from 1.4ms to .7ms or 1/2 at 13v.
Advice we used to get this far...
-Used TurboConversions advice - Changed a 9 cell block in the idle area to all the same values for AFR VE and timing to get a stable idle.
-Used Ashfords suggested and tested dead time settings for the Ford/Delphi 60lb injectors.
-Set ASE to 10-1% mostly linear. (Way less than normally suggested)
-Set WUE to 120-100% linear. (Way less than normally suggested)
-Set Idle to closed loop-This was a failed experiment as the idle remains constant and does not seem influenced at all by the IAC in closed or open loop.
We used testing mode and it extends and contract smoothly but there may be some other setting to fine tune there per the manual.

Some things still just don't seem right like having to use almost no WUE or ASE, as well as auto tune not working.
We logged and drove around 20 min trying to retune the lower with the new dead time but even though 90% of the data was not filtered and despite autotune saying "changing cell" or whatever the terminology was only a few cells seem to change and those seemed to coincide with starting or stopping the data log.
However when I ran the same log and MSQ through MLV VE analyse it came back with a whole table of new cell changes as big as 8 ve numbers??
Also i noticed a filter pop up a few times saying "O2 out of range".
We have an autometer linear O2 and calibrated the AFR table, the gauge and MS3 running values seem to match as well.
I assume Datalogging and autotune don't interfere with each other, and at one point I was DL on the SD card too as a test which i guess wasn't a great idea.
I checked and EGO was on, i think those settings are close to stock, not sure what else autotune requires that I may have disabled?
Should I open a new post on this?
MS-III 3.0, MS3x
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

In that log, the CLT never gets above the 160F threshold for VEAL to be active. I assume it does get over 160F when fully warmed-up, correct?

Your dead-time is set to 1 msec in the MSQ posted, not .7 msec
MustangMike
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MustangMike »

Yes the log is cut off but the engine warms up to and runs at 180-190.
The dead time is set to 1ms but the offset table is set to around 69% at 13.2v so 69% of 1ms is .69ms.
I was worried this did not match MS format of having 13.2 v set to 100% and the rest scaled to match but it seems to work fine. Unsure if it affects any calculations elsewhere.
MS-III 3.0, MS3x
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Got it. You changed the curve rather than base DT for default curve.
Blown88GT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Blown88GT »

MustangMike wrote:I see, I will try that, using 1ms as the dead time I added .17ms to the Ford offsets and will use those as %
Thanks guys, may not be able to try this until next weekend but I will reply.

Wow that throws a wrench into figuring out my Ford blue 39lb injectors on my terminator...
Found the data we've been looking for here:
http://injector-rehab.com/shop/lag.html

UPDATE
I tried 0.50 deadtime. It started & idled but AFR was very high during WUE.
Would require a complete retune to make it work & evaluate.

Deadtime seems like a starting point for whatever tune you end up with. Probably doesn't matter that much in a batch fire.
1988 Mustang GT, 59k miles, Orig Owner
ProCharger 600B I/C, 12psi, FRP Hdrs, Flwmstr F2, 3G Alt, Contour Fan & DCC, 3.55's, Prog Sprg, Subfms, UCA, LCA, FCA, Tokico 5's, Bridgestone RE-71R 245/40R17, Crane HI-6, Kirban FPR, MS2, DIYPNPF60, Spartan 2, C&L76mm blo-thru MAF, 47lb FRP-LU47