Speed sensor

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

billjam
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Speed sensor

Post by billjam »

Some time ago, I spliced into the wire which runs from the car's speed sensor to the speedo and connected it to MS3X pin 11.
I must have had a good reason at the time, but now I can't remember why I chose pin 11 and I can't find any documentation on the subject either.
Anyhow, can someone point me in the right direction for getting a speed reading in TS.
I have added a speedo gauge to my dashboard in TS, but can't figure out how to get it working.
MS3X on a Porsche 3.6L engine with Triumph Daytona ITBs, Toyota COPs (12) and sequential injection.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Speed sensor

Post by grom_e30 »

pin 11 on the ms3x card is 'launch in' this is a ground switching input. can you post a msq file for the ecu

edit typo
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
billjam
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by billjam »

MSQ file attached.
MS3X on a Porsche 3.6L engine with Triumph Daytona ITBs, Toyota COPs (12) and sequential injection.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

the msq looks like its set up correctly my be an idea to look at the sensor & wiring it should be high 5v or 12v and go low when a vane passes the sensor.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
Dennis930
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Dennis930 »

Bill,

Pin 11 is correct for VSS input. Pin 11 is looking for a grounded signal which happens when the reed switch on the transmission "makes" as the magnets inside the transmission pass by when the vehicle is moving. There are 8 pulses per revolution. Don't forget to enter your overall tire/wheel diameter, and transmission gear ratios and final gear ratio. The wire you spliced into in tunnel must be the one that does not go to the grounded side of the speedometer so when the reed switch "makes" the signal goes to ground.
Porsche 930 3.0 Slantnose
MS3/MS3X Sequential Injection & Spark, MS Knock, Dual plug, LS2 coils, Siemens 55 lb/hr HiZ injectors, ALM-ADV Wide Band,
Carrera Intake, Extrude honed, Ford 70mm Throttlebody, GTX3071R Turbo
billjam
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by billjam »

Thanks guys.
Dennis, I am hooked up to the correct (green) wire in the tunnel. The other sensor wire is brown and goes to the gauge housing (ground).
All the gear ratios, etc are set up but I don't know what is correct setting for Input.
The next challenge is how to setup the speedo in TS dashboard. Got any hints? :?
I was also trying to figure out how to get a gear indicator to work on the dashboard. It seems that it would use the data setup here, but I can't figure out how to make the gauge work.
Speed sensor settings2.jpg
Dennis930
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Dennis930 »

Bill,

Input should be "Launch In" for pin 11.
MS3/MS3X Sequential Injection & Spark, MS Knock, Dual plug, LS2 coils, Siemens 55 lb/hr HiZ injectors, ALM-ADV Wide Band,
Dennis930
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Dennis930 »

Bill,

Also in TS, change VSS1 type from "off" to "digital".

For TS dash setup, right click on the gauge cluster screen. This bring up a dialog box, then select "More gauges", then select "Sensor Inputs2", then select "Vehicle speed 1". Then you position, size and shape the new speedometer gauge within the gauge cluster screen.

For gear selection indicator, do the same as above except select "Gear" instead of "Vehicle speed 1". I made my "Gear" selected indicator into a box within the speedometer gauge dial.
Dennis930
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Dennis930 »

Bill,

Here is a snap shot of my dash as an example:
billjam
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by billjam »

Dennis,
I have added the gear and speed indicators as "basic readout" type but for the life of me I can't get them to indicate anything, so something is wrong with my setup.
The car's speedo works and I have hooked into the un-grounded sensor wire from the transmission. Is there an easy way to test if I have a vss signal at the ECU?
Putting the indicators on the dashboard was the easy part.
The gear indicator uses output channel "gear".
The speed indicator uses output channel "vss1". I have just added a round analogue gauge for speed as well but haven't road tested it yet, however it is looking at the same vss1 output channel, so I expect it to be as dead as the digital indicator! :( I like the idea of putting the gear indicator within another gauge, so I just added it to my new speedo!

Once I get these functions working (and log-able), I am hoping to be able to do some performance measurements .. e.g. 0-60, acceleration, power, etc.
It would be interesting to have a wide screen shaped like a 911 dash that could be used to replace the standard gauges. I see your dash, and raise it another level ...
TS dash1.jpg
Dennis930
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Dennis930 »

Bill,

That's one of the great things about TS. You can get very creative designing a dashboard.

To check your VSS1 input I would disconnect the MS3X plug at the ECU and connect a meter in pin 11 with the other lead connected to ground. Jack up the back of the car and spin a tire and see you get a pulsed signal with the key on reading DC voltage.
Dennis930
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Dennis930 »

Bill,

Here is a snap shot of my VSS1 input settings in TS. My set up is working fine. Be aware that the speed showing in TS will probably be lower than what the speedometer reads because most read higher than actual in our Porsche's.
billjam
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by billjam »

We must be running different versions of TS 'cos I get slightly different setup options.
One obvious difference I have is the selection for Digital Input, or "Input" in my version (3.0.16). I had 'tableswitch" so I will change it to "launch in" and see what happens.
My version doesn't have "digital" as an option for the first input field, in fact "VSS1 Input Type" seems to have been replaced by "Analogue Sensor" !! I have selected "Off".
Speed sensor settings3.jpg
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Nothing to do with TS.

You are running an old firmware version, that's the difference.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
billjam
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by billjam »

jsmcortina wrote:Nothing to do with TS.
You are running an old firmware version, that's the difference.
James
James,
Is firmware the software in the ECU?
Is using old firmware a problem?
If it is not a problem, what should my settings be for Analogue Sensor and Input?
Bill
billjam
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by billjam »

Dennis930 wrote:Bill,

Input should be "Launch In" for pin 11.
Dennis,
Yes, this was the problem.
Before I got a chance to road test with Input set to "Launch In", I confirmed that I had a pulsed signal at pin 11.
Just love the way the gear indicator works, and you were right about the difference in speedo readings. At 70kph in TS, my car speedo is showing 80!

Thanks for your help.
Bill
Dennis930
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Dennis930 »

Bill,

So, I guess you got VSS working. That's good. By the way I am running version 1.4.1 software.
Also, recently I found out that you adjust the output for Tacho if your tachometer does not match what TS shows. My tachometer reads a little high compared to what TS is showing, so I adjusted the output to 98% under the "Tacho" settings. But, I have not verified if it is correct, been too busy with the holidays.
billjam
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by billjam »

That's interesting that you can adjust the tacho in TS, but I would have expected the TS tach to be 100% accurate. How can it not be so if it is all electronic?
If there is a mismatch between the TS tach and the gauge in the car, I would expect the latter to be wrong ... just like speedo error?

Get off this forum and enjoy the rest of your holidays!
Dennis930
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Dennis930 »

That is what the adjustment is for, to bring the car tachometer in line with what TS shows. TS should be close to 100% accurate with respect to RPM's.