Cold start issue Zetec on ITBs

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

radiogareth
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Cold start issue Zetec on ITBs

Post by radiogareth »

I've a MS2E install on my sons 2.0 Zetec with ITBs. We have had it running nicely and tuned with a 14.7 WBO2 around the area of the map we can get to just sitting in the car running off load (idle, fast idle and off load acceleration). Everything has been re-checked (fuel pressure, actual flow measured over 1 minute, req fuel calc etc). With the recent cold weather (around 5C in the garage) we have been unable to get it started. Tuner studio suggests that 'up to 300% extra' fuel will be needed, we are wondering where to start with additions.
My first tune was on the olde MS1. The new code does a tidier % addition to standard fuelling, but I am still wondering...
When under cranking RPM it used 'cranking%' addition. As soon as it fires and goes above cranking it moves onto warmup enrichment%. So at any given temp, Cranking % and WUE% should be the same? Is that right?
The DIY Autotune site offers this guidance https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tec ... up-tuning/ which is where we should start I guess.
I'm familiar with the concept and understand reasonably what is required - a combustible mixture at a given temp. If anyone has any experience of the vagaries of ITB's and cold weather that would be handy. Like should we add fuel in 5% increments or more/less? Remember that this starts and runs fine from 15 Degrees. Limited cranking time as its only a small battery so I'd be grateful for some/any guidance of where to go 'next'.
Thanks.....
Gareth
2016-12-30_13.11.14.msq
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Cold start issue Zetec on ITBs

Post by turbo conversion »

Have you tried starting fluid to see if it will fire?

David
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Your cranking pulse is pretty low (<200% at 5C). Don't be shy bumping it up toward 300-400% at max (min temp). Get it to fire reliably, even if smelly-rich for the first few seconds, then back off from there.
suberimakuri
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by suberimakuri »

And grab a spare battery and double them up.
Nothing worse then trying to tune start up with a flat battery
radiogareth
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by radiogareth »

Thanks, work in progress whilst its still cold (January in the UK....)
radiogareth
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by radiogareth »

OK, We got up to 320% cranking yesterday before the laptop went flat :-( Still no lifesigns at this point. Rain stopped play so no sparkplug investigations.
Assuming we reach the point where it fires (reliably) the cranking pulses only last whilst below some threshold (500rpm on our tune).

At which point it jumps to the Warmup enrichment which for a few 100 cycles is additionally modified to by the Afterstart enrichment table and Afterstart enrichment taper.

So at the point we get it to fire reliably, we need to make sure that the warmup enrichment is pretty close fuel volume wise to the Cranking pulsewidth that it fired up at.

Have I got that right??

TIA....
radiogareth
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by radiogareth »

IT RUNS.....I pulled the plugs and gave then a clean & burn on a propane torch. Popped them back in, started first prod @+330% and 5 degrees temp. Even colder next day (about 3) but it was a tad rich up at 350% so a quick tweak on that and its fine today.
Autotune warm-up doesn't seem to be making much difference (we were happy with the map above 10 degrees anyway) so it can't be far off now. Next step is book it for an MOT so it can be driven a few miles, have the tracking, brakes (all new) checked on rollers and emissions optimised at test RPM then IVA appointment and away we go.
Thanks for the pointers....
Gareth