Injector dead time and sqruits per rev on 5.0 fox Mustang

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Musse91
MS/Extra Newbie

Injector dead time and sqruits per rev on 5.0 fox Mustang

Post by Musse91 »

I have tunerstudio MS Lite! v2.6.19 (ms2/extra relase 3.3.1 20131206 18:45GMT(c)KC/JSM/JB PNP) EFI Simplified

My tuner has beter Tuner software version.

Now I have wide afr meter only no conection to mega.

I have trick flow top end kit + vortech. I'm wondering what should injector dead time be. Now it's estimated at 1.00 ms. Also i have 4 sqruits per rev. I have read somewhere that v8 would like 2 sqruits per rev.
This is street car what I take few times in sumer to road race track.

My injectors are: TRE Flow Matched 42 LB/HR Fuel Injectors

Specifications:

Condition: 100% BRAND NEW
Flow Rate in CC per minute: 440 CC/min @ 43.5 PSI
Flow Rate in LB per hour: 42 LBS/HR @ 43.5 PSI
Resistance: 12 ohms (High Impedance, High Resistance)
Voltage: 8-15 Volts, nominal 13.5 Volts
Amperage: 1.0 Amps
Pressure: Min 30 PSIG / Max 100 PSIG
Spacers/O-rings Included: YES, on the injectors
Injector Body Design: Metal and composite plastic
Fuel Delivery: Upgraded Four-hole disc fuel delivery nozzle for superior fuel atomization
Electrical connector type: EV1 (Minitimer, Jetronic)

I'm not about to tune this thing my self. I'm total novice when it comes to tuning. It's now driveable but drinks too much gas even on light throtle. I was thinking that Injector dead time and sqruist per rew might be of. Naturally if changes is made in those values hole chart must be done allover again.

I don't have log file and now is winter so I'm not geting one soon and teling the truth I don't know how to take it. low rpm ignition advance in program is also one thing I'm wondering.
Blown88GT
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Injector dead time and sqruits per rev on 5.0 fox Mustan

Post by Blown88GT »

Your tune says:
1. you still have narrow band O2's.
2. you have no idle valve.
3. 36 lbs of boost.

Dead time is fine for now, you have bigger issues to deal with.
1988 Mustang GT, 59k miles, Orig Owner
ProCharger 600B I/C, 12psi, FRP Hdrs, Flwmstr F2, 3G Alt, Contour Fan & DCC, 3.55's, Prog Sprg, Subfms, UCA, LCA, FCA, Tokico 5's, Bridgestone RE-71R 245/40R17, Crane HI-6, Kirban FPR, MS2, DIYPNPF60, Spartan 2, C&L76mm blo-thru MAF, 47lb FRP-LU47
Musse91
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Musse91 »

For now I need info on the dead time and sqruits per revolution. Program will be made again in spring but I need these values for starting point.

Under load it work fine and afr is in good range. On normal driving pretty well too but it drinks much more fuel than before vortech and with stock ecu with chip.
Laminar
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Laminar »

What do you mean by, "It drinks too much gas." Do you mean you're calculating mpg after a tank and it's low?

When you adjust the squirts per rev, the ECU divides the req fuel by the number of squirts. So adjusting the squirts per rev has little effect on the total fuel into the engine. Now if your injector dead time specs are way off and your squirts per rev are too high, putting the injector into its non-linear region for most of the squirt, you can run into issues.

How are your injectors wired up? Two banks?

Really, you can't do anything without a wideband. That will tell you when and where you're running rich.
Musse91
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Musse91 »

Yes my mpg went from 22 to 18 and its on country roads not city at all. Also my rpm vent down about 200rpm on fifth gear, so it's worse than just numbers. And this is normal driving not driven like I have stolen it.

Is the difference in injector wear or durability if you use 2 sqruits vs 4? That is also one my concerns.

I have to check how my injector banks are set.

I have wideband meter but not wideband connected to ecu. If I want to connect wideband also to ecu it needs controller to the sensor? I think you can't just connect it straight to the ecu is that right?
What I mean is if you want use two sensors one for ecu and other to meter.

These electric stuff and programming is realy my week point. :?
CRSTune
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by CRSTune »

You absolutely need to have the wideband wired into the ECU for any of us to even begin to really help you. Yes, you need an external controller for the sensor itself. MS cannot process the raw O2 sensor readings. Wire the 5V analog output from the gauge/controller into either the O2 input or any spare 5V analog input on the aux plug.

The running AFR and timing will ultimately dictate what your MPG is. You want the minimum best timing with the least amount of fuel under cruising conditions. With that said, your ignition table looks odd. Closed loop fuel control with readings from the wideband will help for any fueling corrections. If the engine runs fine with 4 squirts, leave it that way. It can help with consistency when running batch fire.

You don't have overrun fuel cut enabled. You're wasting gas on deceleration.
I'm in the VA/DC area! Let me know if I can help you locally! I offer tuning and troubleshooting services.
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 37&t=64269
Email me directly at CRSTune@gmail.com

Personal Vehicle:
'92 Nissan 240sx, KA24DET, GT2860RS, MS3X, Coil-on-Plug
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Are you reading AFR on a gauge connected to the WB? If so, you already have a controller for the WB sensor. Tell us what brand and sensor the WB system is, somebody can give more specific info.

This is a shaft-driven supercharge system, always connected (no clutch)? That would lower fuel economy due to extra load on the engine at all times.
Blown88GT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Blown88GT »

billr wrote:Are you reading AFR on a gauge connected to the WB? If so, you already have a controller for the WB sensor...
His wideband is not connected.
Musse91 wrote:...I have wideband meter but not wideband connected to ecu. If I want to connect wideband also to ecu it needs controller to the sensor? I think you can't just connect it straight to the ecu is that right? ...
Having difficulty communicating, is English not your first language?
1988 Mustang GT, 59k miles, Orig Owner
ProCharger 600B I/C, 12psi, FRP Hdrs, Flwmstr F2, 3G Alt, Contour Fan & DCC, 3.55's, Prog Sprg, Subfms, UCA, LCA, FCA, Tokico 5's, Bridgestone RE-71R 245/40R17, Crane HI-6, Kirban FPR, MS2, DIYPNPF60, Spartan 2, C&L76mm blo-thru MAF, 47lb FRP-LU47
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Musse91 wrote:I have wideband meter but not wideband connected to ecu. If I want to connect wideband also to ecu it needs controller to the sensor? I think you can't just connect it straight to the ecu is that right?
What I mean is if you want use two sensors one for ecu and other to meter.
wideband sensor --> wideband controller --> ECU and/or display

See the hardware manual for you Megasquirt version from the Manuals link above for wideband wiring.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Musse91
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Musse91 »

Thanks for tips. My tuner said that at least one time you couldn't use the meter and wideband connection to mega at the same time. It was different version of mega sqruit and could be different meter also.
Mine is AEM. It has second wiring wires for connecting from meter to ecu. I could use it.

In my mind when you have made the program you wouldn't need widepand all the time?
Laminar
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Laminar »

Once your engine is dialed in, you don't have to have a wideband connected.

Modern cars have O2 sensors hooked up at all times for several reasons beyond just emissions checks - they can sense if a cylinder or bank has gone lean or misfired and they can perform long-term fuel trim adjustments, both of which are useful to you. AFR safety shutdown can help you from blowing up an engine if your AFR spikes lean under hard acceleration. And the Megasquirt can perform short and long term fuel trimming to keep the engine operating at your specified AFR.
Laminar
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Laminar »

Musse91 wrote:Also my rpm vent down about 200rpm on fifth gear, so it's worse than just numbers.
Are you saying that you can't reach a certain RPM when topping out 5th gear? Or are you running a non-lockup automatic?
Is the difference in injector wear or durability if you use 2 sqruits vs 4? That is also one my concerns.
The biggest danger to injectors is running the duty cycle too high - above 85-90% is not recommended. This is much more of a concern than simple number of cycles.
Musse91
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Musse91 »

I changed my trans from T5 to Tko 600. So my 5th cruising rpm dropped.