Unusual AFR changes each startup

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

gonzo87107
MS/Extra Newbie

Unusual AFR changes each startup

Post by gonzo87107 »

I'm having a problem that has me chasing my tail with my tune. I'll drive the car to work and it will auto tune to a nice running set up, but when I get into the car to go home it will run extremely rich especially at idle (11:1 or worse). I let it auto tune on the way home, it leans everything out, and the next morning I go to start it up and it is so lean it will barely run (18:1 or worse). The cycle repeats each and every day. I do have a charging issue that I am sorting out tonight (battery voltage is fluctuating due to a miswired alternator). I'm hoping it's just a voltage issue causing this problem, but I wanted to see if anyone else has some ideas or has experienced a similar problem.

The VE table is a mess on my .msq because of a short drive to work today and I didn't have a chance to let auto tune smooth it all out.

It's a Lexus 1uz-fe running MS2/Extra 3.4.2
12-1 tooth crank wheel
wasted spark with edis-8 coils
Innovate MTX-L wideband o2 sensor and controller
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Unusual AFR changes each startup

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Get the car up to operating temp.Try not to let IAT get too high. Set the VE for the block of cells around idle, use the AFR that gives best idle quality. Now lock those cells out in VEAL so it cant change them.
This is pretty much your reference. Now you can readjust warm up and ASE as/if needed on the next couple of cold starts.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
gonzo87107
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Unusual AFR changes each startup

Post by gonzo87107 »

Thanks! I'll give it a try.