Step one...How to approach a stalled project

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Racersk
MS/Extra Newbie

Step one...How to approach a stalled project

Post by Racersk »

This question is hard to search for, so I will start by saying "sorry" if this has been covered a bunch already.

I need some input on how to approach a 1st start on a +10 tear old project car I have been working with on and off. This is what I have:

1974 Toyota Corolla (TE27)
1947cc 2T-GTEU (4cylinder) turbo'd
MS1 v2.2
440cc Supra Turbo injectors
Inovate LC-1 Wideband
36-1 Ford EDIS (set up the old way)
T3/T4 turbo
water temp activated 84 Celica Fidle (fidle set spark out)

I was able to start the car after a friend, who runs ITB's on a N/A 2TG on the same MS1 v2.2 platform, same EDIS sold me his working 2.2 MS1. It started and died...I then sorted out the fuel system, now I have a stock EFI tank/pump from an earlier Toyota Pickup grafted in the trunk. I also have his tune (N/A) on the ECU I will be running.

I have some MS experience, I set up a fuel only on a 22RE on a 2.2 pcb and running stock distributor and tuned with MegaTune-1st time TS user.

Now here we are.

How would YOU start working out the bugs and get this car on the road?
I have TunerStudio v3.0.18 registered and MegaLog viewer
I have a laptop and PC both talk to MS, Squirt n Spark extra 024s12*** firmware now-the one my friend also uses
I have good gas in the tank an no leaks
I used the standard universal harness, relay PCB, GM sensors - fuel pump is jumped, because the friends tune threw a fuelpump flashing error (tune error) I want to utilize the relay PCB f/p relay though

When I get home I will screen shot the errors I get when booting the ecu in Tuner Studio- There are x2 lines of code that don't jive in TunerStudio-my friend used MegaTune, and MegaTune is ok with his tune, but flashes the fuel pump. Like I stated, there are some issues to be sorted...But it DID start.
error2.JPG
What all can I provide to the forum, other than TS screen shots and an exported .MSQ to get this beast car on the road?

Thank you for reading my post.
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Step one...How to approach a stalled project

Post by prof315 »

Step 1: Just about everything MS related to your project is outdated and obsolete..... From Megatune to the MS1 V2.2 Mainboard to to the 024s12 firmware. Update. Do the firmware first unless you are going to update the ECU. The downloads link at the top of the page has the current firmware . You already have TunerStudio. Next, read the MS1 manuals linked at the top of the page.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Also, I encourage you to upgrade to the MS2 daughterboard. That isn't a huge cost, and will get you into many more features and a better chance of support.
Racersk
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Racersk »

Updating the PCB would set me back more than just money, it needs to be running and driving soon(possibly moving), I get why there is the need, but this isn't an option at this time.

Will Updating the firmware mess up my current proven N/A tune?

There are x3 choices for the S19's, 'MS1/Extra 029y4a Firmware' correct? My 2.2 setup can't do high res, correct?

Also, I finally found the 1st start up link in the manual, thank you prof315! The link is still named MegaTune setup still, but opens to Megatunix setup.

I will read up and update firmware tonight- I wil post an MSQ when I get it done.
:RTFM: :RTFM: :RTFM: :RTFM: :RTFM: :RTFM:

Thanks for some direction fellas! I will eventually get back up to speed!
Alot has evolved from the last fuel only project I did!
Racersk
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Racersk »

billr wrote:Also, I encourage you to upgrade to the MS2 daughterboard. That isn't a huge cost, and will get you into many more features and a better chance of support.
Ok, I just got what your putting out there... There is a UPGRADE to the 2.2PCB?! I was not aware of this before now. So if I by this $129 kit my MS1 becomes and MS2 on a 2.2PCB?
So then I can do all the extra stuff in MS2 codes, like boost control and launch control?

That won't put my timeline off that badly. Thanks for that info billr! :yeah!: