Dyno timing/tuning help for a JZ motor

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

cardelino18
MS/Extra Newbie

Dyno timing/tuning help for a JZ motor

Post by cardelino18 »

Well,

I have the car up and running good right now on right about 17psi. Next week im about to hit the dyno for some tuning that i would be doing my self. Now keep in mind that this will be my first "real tune" that i have ever done. Ive tuned my own cars on piggy backs, but i dont count that as i only played with fuel...

That is my background, now my set up is a stock block 1jzgte non vvti (keep in mind 1jz are 8.5:1 compression), with 272 cams, 660cc injectors, water/meth & 93 oct gas.

Currently at 17psi im around 10.3 degrees of timing. but that is without using the water/meth yet. I have a couple of questions on how to go about tuning the ignition timing on the dyno with water/meth.

1) How do i tell from a dyno graph if i start to see some knock activity on my engine?
2) From my set up without meth, is 10.3 degrees timing on the "safe" side of things, or is it a little aggressive?
3)i will have my meth kick in at around 13psi, and im going to up the boost till around 25-27psi. How much advance timing could i add on the meth?

With some answers, i will most likely have a better idea of what im doing at the dyno. Please keep in mind that i am new to timing & dyno tuning.

Any tips will also be very appreciated!

thanks!
Suprazz
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Dyno timing/tuning help for a JZ motor

Post by Suprazz »

1) you can't, but the gain in power will drop at some point. So if 2 degree of timing gives you 20 hp, and 2 degree more give you 5hp, then go back to previous settings.
2) it's safe for 93 octane. You'll see on the dyno again when you gain less power by advancing timing, it's time to stop. Also, knocking will occur mostly at mid-range rpm.
3) You could add a lot... like 20-25 degrees... Start tuning without any meth, then tune with meth.

Try to keep a steady time between your dyno runs (like 5 mins) to keep the car in the constant same conditions. This will help to have a steady runs and more reliable results.
Best looking and most advanced CAN-bus gauge
Toyota Supra 7MGE, 7M-GTE and 1JZ-GTE Plug and play ECUs: http://www.perfecttuning.net
Serial to Bluetooth or Serial to WiFi
DIYAutotune Canadian, EFI Source and ECUMaster reseller!
suberimakuri
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by suberimakuri »

And keep in mind it may be harder on the engine on the road compared to the dyno.
I like the advice above.
Chase reasonable and safe power, not max power.
cardelino18
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by cardelino18 »

thanks for the info guys!