Did I gas down the main bearings?

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

RUMbleBUGgy
MS/Extra Newbie

Did I gas down the main bearings?

Post by RUMbleBUGgy »

It seems that I had an WBO2 computer failure while driving my car. My MSPNP2 was in closed loop mode when the Innovate MTX-L that I purchased about 2 months ago preceded to shut off (I've checked the source voltage with key on at the pwr feed for the unit with my probe and got 12V but when the computer is connected to the wire the circuit has 3V. I guess the computer has some kind of short in it.) and would not pwr back on. I had to limp home slowly in closed loop mode as I did not have my laptop with me. Maybe 5-10 minutes of light load usuage, should I be scared that I gassed down the main and rod bearings in my engine? It wasn't idling poorly but any kind of light throttle input was causing the engine to bog and then surge slightly in a pattern until I reached my driveway.

Opinions needed!

Thanks,
Nick
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Did I gas down the main bearings?

Post by turbo conversion »

What does the oil smell-look like, has your oil pressure changed?

David
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd
RUMbleBUGgy
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by RUMbleBUGgy »

I haven't dropped the oil yet but the oil pressure seemed nornal. How pungent should contaminated oil smell? As to the oil pressure, it would just fluctuate slightly off of normal if it was getting contaminated?
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

If you have had enough fuel in the oil to cause a bearing problem you won't miss it. It will smell like fuel and the oil will be thin. Just pull the dipstick and see if it is 1. overfull, 2. smells like fuel and 3. thin.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

The bogging and surging suggests to me a weak mixture rather than rich, and for short use on light load won't have done any harm at all.
But how is your wideband control set? The authority would normally be set to limit how far it could change the mixture to prevent anything silly happening if the WB failed.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
RUMbleBUGgy
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by RUMbleBUGgy »

I had just changed the oil an hour prior and it was slightly overfull to start with (6 qts 5.7 capacity).

Just checked the dipstick, oil is still quote viscous. Has a faint smell of fuel but it doesnt reek.

I guess having my ego authority at 20% is a little impatient.
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

if the oil pressure wasn't low and the engine wasn't making any noises from the bottom end, it is very unlikely that you got enough fuel into the oil to create an issue with the rods and mains, if the oil smells like fuel then change the oil and be on your way. If the oil doesn't have the strong smell of fuel then just fix the sensor and change the sensor failure settings to give yourself piece of mind and happy trails.
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.