Quick throttle movement causes loss of power

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Smegmium
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Quick throttle movement causes loss of power

Post by Smegmium »

Finally got my project turbo mini fired up on the Microsquirt.

I am using 2x 440cc injectors in a custom intake to create what is effectively a "Wet manifold".
The auto-generated fuel VE table is WAY off according to the wideband, seemed to be idling at about 10:1 AFR!!!!!

Anyway I've brought the table closer to 14:1 (as a whole) on idle.

The first issue before i start any road trials is that it idles fine, and if i increase revs slowly its happy, but any quick increases in throttle cause it to die.

The car is not on the road yet.

The setup:
- A+ engine in a classic mini (Lets just ignore the turbo for now!)
- Microsquirt V3 with 3 bar MAP (reading correctly) + TPS (Calibrated), EDIS4 (working fine).
- 14point7 wideband controller (reading correctly)
- 2x 440cc Bosch "Green Giant" injectors
- adjustable rising rate fuel reg set to 3 bar (without vacuum)
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Quick throttle movement causes loss of power

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Acceleration Enrichment?
:msq:
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
Smegmium
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Smegmium »

I cant post a tune/log right now but will do this evening.

I had a play with AE last night and it certainly helped a LOT - however I seemed to hit it's limit just as the hesitation is nearly gone.
Is there are hard limit? (TPSdot only) I raised the "Added ms" and it wouldn't let me add any more than 25.5ms at any TPSdot on the curve.

I presume I'm going to need to play with the VE map to add extra fuel around idle rpm just above the idle kpa? Its already idling rich.

Additional: when the revs drop back to idle after a throttle blip, it bogs down a little before coming back up, how could this be countered?

tune & log to follow!
5.0Thunder
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 5.0Thunder »

When you rev the throttle, you're exploring different areas of the VE table, which if not tuned, will give you poor response. Adding a random guesstimated Accel Enrich on top of this won't help. In my experience it has been best to leave Accel Enrichment off (turn the threshold way up in the settings so that AE is never activated) and work on cleaning the VE table up first. You'll find most often that you can get it to rev pretty clean without an AE at all when the VE table is solid. Once that happens, you can turn the AE threshold back down to activate it, and slowly creep up on the enrichment values so that your throttle response is crisp.

I've found that the bog after revving is due to the low-load area of the map being too lean (IN MY CAR/TUNE, yours may be different).
1990 Mustang: MS3Pro Gen 1, 306ci, 72mm turbo, 80lb inj, 36-1 + Cam Sync + D585 coils, World heads, TFS1 cam, GT40 intake, auto, Speed Density
1987 Mustang: MS2v3.57, direct coil control, MSD VR Dizzy, SBE, Weiand 174,190cc heads, F303 cam, TBI w/ (4) 160lb inj, GT500 MAF