When the tune is done

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

joelittel
Helpful MS/Extra'er

When the tune is done

Post by joelittel »

When I get to the point where my tune is "as good as I'm going to get it" what should I do?

Is it as simple as unplugging the laptop and leaving the ECU to do it's thing? Or are there any final settings that need to be taken care of to tell the ECU that it's on its own from here?
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: When the tune is done

Post by nathaninwa »

Nothing to set. Let the ecu do its job! There are things like canbus gauges that will allow you to monitor live data, but not needed. Just keep an eye on the wideband and have fu
The true test to a tune that is done is letting someone else drive it and have them report any oddities

Plus it's always good to save a good tune to your project folder and a thumb drive
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
joelittel
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by joelittel »

Thanks nathaninwa
ironwill11
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ironwill11 »

joelittel wrote:When I get to the point where my tune is "as good as I'm going to get it" what should I do?

Is it as simple as unplugging the laptop and leaving the ECU to do it's thing? Or are there any final settings that need to be taken care of to tell the ECU that it's on its own from here?
Your MS will run whatever the last settings that were stored in it were. And yes I would keep a couple back ups of the file that you like.

Will
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

I like to change something like the intake or exhaust so I have something to make perfect again.

Go under <Tools> <Un/Lock Calibrations> and lock them.

I would hook up the computer every few months just to verify everything looks reasonable. On most street cars you rely on CEL on the dash to do this for you.

Andy
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

That last comment begs the question, does MS support OEM CEL's? This is something I never read in the docs so assumed error code indication left with the factory ECU.

Jim
MSPNP on 3sgte
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
MSPNP2 with 3.57 mainboard
Innovate WB O2 & soon to be external GM 3 bar MAP
FTDI USB interface on SD Android 5.1 head unit
TD05SL2-18g with external WG
HKS EBC running 17psi boost.
A2W IC with WI 50/50 meth/water
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

Later versions (1.4.x and 1.5.x) of code have a CEL like setup page. I don't recall if that idea got back ported to other versions of code. You choose what limits you want on many of the sensors to trigger a single CEL.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

benckj wrote:That last comment begs the question, does MS support OEM CEL's? This is something I never read in the docs so assumed error code indication left with the factory ECU.

Jim
MSPNP on 3sgte
The MSPNP Gen 2 simply turns on the check engine light whenever the fuel pump is not on. This will cause the light to blink if you have a sync loss or flash on and off at 1 second intervals if you have a config error. Not much, but we figured it was better to have some functionality than none at all, and the MS2 doesn't have very many outputs.

MS3s have a more detailed check engine light function.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

That's all good to know at least if not reported. Figured there wasn't much info on the CEL's using MSPNP.
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
MSPNP2 with 3.57 mainboard
Innovate WB O2 & soon to be external GM 3 bar MAP
FTDI USB interface on SD Android 5.1 head unit
TD05SL2-18g with external WG
HKS EBC running 17psi boost.
A2W IC with WI 50/50 meth/water