Fuel Pumps, Fuel Pressure, and Frustration

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ironwill11
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Fuel Pumps, Fuel Pressure, and Frustration

Post by ironwill11 »

slow_hemi6 wrote:When you shift into gear the MAP goes from 28kpa to 42kpa. Your spark table is pulling about 0.5 degrees of timing out when this happens. You actually want the opposite, try adding 2 degrees of advance in your 35,40 & 45kpa (701rpm) cells.
Thanks, I am going to tinker with this. I was wondering if the rows and columns on the spark table were set up more similar to the VE table if it would make it run smoother.

Will
ironwill11
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ironwill11 »

turbo conversion wrote:Have you done a compression test to make sure the cylinders are balanced?

If you have a cylinder imbalance you will never achieve a smooth idle.

David

I didn't think to do a compression test. I actually like how smooth it is when it idles in neutral so that did not even occur to me. I believe I have a compression tester though.

Will
ironwill11
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ironwill11 »

slow_hemi6 wrote:When you shift into gear the MAP goes from 28kpa to 42kpa. Your spark table is pulling about 0.5 degrees of timing out when this happens. You actually want the opposite, try adding 2 degrees of advance in your 35,40 & 45kpa (701rpm) cells.
Since my idle is lower then 701 rpm, would it be more beneficial to have a column lower then 701 on my ignition table?

Will
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

I have one column below my normal idle, but I could only dream of idling under 700rpm. My 288/292 cam will stall out that low.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
ironwill11
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ironwill11 »

So I have tried around with adding 1 degree, 1.5 degrees, and 2 degrees. It seemed to run very slightly different but nothing for the better. I would think the timing would be advanced more there as well so I left it with the 2 extra degrees of timing. I am not that good at tuning, and seems a little worse at tuning timing.

Will