Keep blowing head gaskets 4g63 ms3pro

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

beans
MS/Extra Newbie

Keep blowing head gaskets 4g63 ms3pro

Post by beans »

Hello all, I have a 92 Plymouth Laser that I just recently installed MS3pro on. I have been loving it so far but still trying to learn the new software. A little about the car: 4g63 forged internals, 10.5:1 wiseco HDs, half filled block kiggly girdle, felpro permatorque head gasket with L19s, freshly surfaced block and head, 60mm turbo, and some spray to get on the converter. I have been getting help on the tune from some very knowledgeable tuners that are very familiar with MS. The car was tuned on the dyno and I have made a few small test hits on the street but first pass at the track the head gasket let go after shifting to third. The last couple years I have been fighting head gaskets and cant seem to keep one in place. The last couple have ended in destroying the head. Im looking for any advise on tune and parts to help from keeping this happening again. If you have any questions let me know I will post a couple logs.
Thank you in advance,
no prep 2_modified.msl
\
newpull12.msl
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Keep blowing head gaskets 4g63 ms3pro

Post by elutionsdesign »

Need the tune file that corresponds with those logs.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Less timing, more octane, or if you're REALLY pushing things, a dry deck build.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
beans
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by beans »

Matt Cramer wrote:Less timing, more octane, or if you're REALLY pushing things, a dry deck build.
Less timing everywhere? Or less at peak torque? The car is on e85. I wish I could go with a full fill on the block but the car is still a street car and plan on doing a few events like rocky mountain race week.
elutionsdesign wrote:Need the tune file that corresponds with those logs.

Sorry about that I will post it up when I get home.
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by turbo conversion »

I have never tuned E85 so not sure about afr numbers.

What I do find odd is the afr at idle is richer than under full boost.

Also AE needs tuning, throttle tip ins are going very lean.

David
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd
beans
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by beans »

Here is the current tune that is in the car.
theshop_g.msq
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

It already doesn't seem like much timing for an E85 tune. Two things do stand out to me in the logs, first your actual timing isn't always matching your commanded timing from the table and it's dropping to 0 quite often at the lower (200 KPa) boost levels, I'd focus on sorting that out to make absolutely certain the crank pulley timing is where it's supposed to be for the tune. Second your battery voltage is dropping at max boost, is that something you're doing deliberately?
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!