PCV issues

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

PCV issues

Post by Yves »

I experienced a situation where, coming off high rpm, the engine creates a large amount of vacuum and it effectively sucks oil through the pcv into the intake manifold. Now the engine is non-standard so the Original pcv with it's spring actuated pintle is not suited for the engine. I use fixed orifice type PCV with an oil catch can in between.
To combat the situation, would connecting the outlet of the PCV to the airbox (ITB system) be an alterntive ?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: PCV issues

Post by jsmcortina »

You need a sprung PCV when connecting to the manifold. The spring prevents exactly the problem you had.
Or change to no PCV and vent into a can.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Digger
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Digger »

Yves wrote:I experienced a situation where, coming off high rpm, the engine creates a large amount of vacuum and it effectively sucks oil through the pcv into the intake manifold. Now the engine is non-standard so the Original pcv with it's spring actuated pintle is not suited for the engine. I use fixed orifice type PCV with an oil catch can in between.
To combat the situation, would connecting the outlet of the PCV to the airbox (ITB system) be an alterntive ?
What makes a spring-type not suited for you engine?

There are adjustable type out there too.
'69 Bronco, lifted, coiled, linked, locked, caged, ZF5, Atlas II, BB 9inch/HP44, 37s
MicroSquirt, roller 351W .030"over, FAST throttle body, alum heads/intake, header, forged rotating bits. 370HP / 440 lbft daily driver
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

Can you point me to one. At the time I was checking into these I only found the ones that you couldn't set.
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

jsmcortina wrote:You need a sprung PCV when connecting to the manifold. The spring prevents exactly the problem you had.

James
The pcv's for my engine have a 3/4" hose and no regulation of the spring force. What happens is they are full open at anything except decel which acts as a very big vacuum leak.
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by turbo conversion »

Yves wrote:
jsmcortina wrote:You need a sprung PCV when connecting to the manifold. The spring prevents exactly the problem you had.

James
The pcv's for my engine have a 3/4" hose and no regulation of the spring force. What happens is they are full open at anything except decel which acts as a very big vacuum leak.
I am confused, if your PCV valve has a spring it should be closed under full throttle and wide open under decel.

How exactly do you have your PCV valve system plumbed?

David
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd
cactus
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by cactus »

I've been curious to hear other impressions about this adjustable PCV valve.

http://mewagner.com/
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

"I am confused, if your PCV valve has a spring it should be closed under full throttle and wide open under decel."

Yes, I think you are confused. That is opposite to all I have worked with, and that goes back to when they first became required in 1965.
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Are you saying with out vacuum the valve is open and with vacuum the valve is closed?

David

EDIT: I am not talking about the breather side but the valve it self.
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Yes, manifold vacuum closes the PCV valve to restrict flow. It has to be installed in the correct direction though...

All PCV valves I have seen have just a single hose barb for the hose to a manifold, with the other end going into a grommet on the engine; so installing "backwards" would be a very difficult mistake to make.
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

cactus wrote:I've been curious to hear other impressions about this adjustable PCV valve.

http://mewagner.com/
This is the one I have :D
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

billr wrote:Yes, manifold vacuum closes the PCV valve to restrict flow. It has to be installed in the correct direction though...

All PCV valves I have seen have just a single hose barb for the hose to a manifold, with the other end going into a grommet on the engine; so installing "backwards" would be a very difficult mistake to make.
Of course...

However the spring is set according to engine vacuum. If your vacuum is lower than what the engine for which the valve is designed for has, then it's going to stay open.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Then you need a PCV valve with a weaker spring, or a better "adjustable" one. Just how bad is your idle vacuum?
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

8 inchHg
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

That should be enough. If I had to, I would cut open a stock valve and change out the spring; make my own "adjustable" one.
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

The article James posted says under high vacuum the valve moves against the spring restricting vacuum, it does not close the valve.

At full throttle or atmosphere the PCV valve does not have vacuum rendering it ineffective hence the breather side now acting as the vacuum source.

If you put a catch can in the the PCV valve side and the breather side you can eliminate oil in the intake manifold, that's all I have to say about that. :lol:

Forest Gump
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

The breather clearly doesn't stop the oil being sucked through.
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Yves wrote:The breather clearly doesn't stop the oil being sucked through.
That is why I use 2 catch cans.

David
Digger
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Digger »

Yves wrote:8 inchHg

That's your problem. You don't have enough vacuum to shut or throttle the valve at idle, making your PCV unsuitable for your setup. However an orifice is not the answer either. You need to buy a PCV valve that is matched to your idle vacuum or buy an adjustable.

Also important, do you have proper baffling in your valve cover? This will also cut down on the amount of oil sucked into the intake.
'69 Bronco, lifted, coiled, linked, locked, caged, ZF5, Atlas II, BB 9inch/HP44, 37s
MicroSquirt, roller 351W .030"over, FAST throttle body, alum heads/intake, header, forged rotating bits. 370HP / 440 lbft daily driver