PCV issues

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: PCV issues

Post by kaeman »

why run the pcv valve at all, you have itb's and the manifold isn't really set up for the pcv, Just use a large breather for each valve cover going to a oil separator/catch can and skip oiling the intake runners. I haven't run a pcv with itb's and never had any problems, the large breathers get rid of crankcase pressure and the intake doesn't suck oil.
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Just breathers alone isn't good enough for long engine life. You need to get some fresh air going in there to dilute the "acid rain" vapors caused by combustion products in the blow-by. Before PCV valves, road-draft tubes were used for this purpose, and had been there in most engines since very early times (1920s?)
Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Raymond_B »

You can also run an external vacuum pump. Although these are mostly used in race cars and generally do not last that long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1995 Ford Lightning. Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, etc. MS3X/v3.57
http://www.buildpics.org/
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

billr wrote:Just breathers alone isn't good enough for long engine life. You need to get some fresh air going in there to dilute the "acid rain" vapors caused by combustion products in the blow-by. Before PCV valves, road-draft tubes were used for this purpose, and had been there in most engines since very early times (1920s?)
Exactly, currently I have connected the Pcv to my airboxes in the hope that in that way some vapors will be sucked into the engine. NonethelessI don't think the vacuum is enough
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

Digger wrote:
Yves wrote:8 inchHg

That's your problem. You don't have enough vacuum to shut or throttle the valve at idle, making your PCV unsuitable for your setup. However an orifice is not the answer either. You need to buy a PCV valve that is matched to your idle vacuum or buy an adjustable.

Also important, do you have proper baffling in your valve cover? This will also cut down on the amount of oil sucked into the intake.
Yes there is baffling.
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

how about the exhaust evacuation/suction tubes they weld into the collector to pull a vacuum on the crankcase, you might need some more baffles in the valve covers, I don't know how much vacuum the collectors pull, but I have seen them on several cars, just cant remember if there ok for street use. might pull to much vacuum for daily driver.
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

kaeman wrote:how about the exhaust evacuation/suction tubes they weld into the collector to pull a vacuum on the crankcase, you might need some more baffles in the valve covers, I don't know how much vacuum the collectors pull, but I have seen them on several cars, just cant remember if there ok for street use. might pull to much vacuum for daily driver.
Long time ago I had that, but on the street with a muffled car, they don't work.

Think I'll stick with the current setup of connecting the pcv to the air boxes. Not ideal, as ideally you would want as much of the gases being pulled out, but it's not any worse than a road draft system.