V10 - Wasted Spark - One Coil Not Firing

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

pjkinsella
MS/Extra Newbie

V10 - Wasted Spark - One Coil Not Firing

Post by pjkinsella »

I'm back again with another problem. One day I'll be in driveable condition, but not today!

Essentially, I have what seems to be a software bug, but I'm assuming it must be caused by a hardware or wiring issue.

I'm fully installed in a Viper V10 (gen 2) with wasted spark, running BIPs in a module I made myself. The car runs, but I discovered that two cylinders were not getting spark (2 & 3, which are on the same coil, as expected). I check resistance on the coils and found that coil to be bad. I then replaced the coils and lo and behold, it's still not being fired. I checked in test mode and all of the plugs fire fine.

I was told by a very helpful individual to try burning a different ignition configuration, power cycle, burn the correct one again, and power cycle again, just to get the software to reset the ignition config. This actually worked. Miraculously I was getting spark. I was stoked beyond belief, until I started it the next time and the cylinders were dead again. I proceeded to update the firmware and cycle the ignition config again and was not able to get the spark back while in the running state.

SO, what could cause this? I'm being told that a noisy power feed could be the culprit. I am going to add a dedicated relay (as I probably should have from the beginning) to get a cleaner 12v feed. Is there anything else that I should check?
Current Project: 1998 Dodge Viper GTS
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: V10 - Wasted Spark - One Coil Not Firing

Post by Matt Cramer »

Is that spark output dead in output test mode, or only while running?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
pjkinsella
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by pjkinsella »

Matt Cramer wrote:Is that spark output dead in output test mode, or only while running?
Only when running. Works as expected in test mode.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Can you post an engine log of what's going on and a copy of your MSQ?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
pjkinsella
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by pjkinsella »

Matt Cramer wrote:Can you post an engine log of what's going on and a copy of your MSQ?
MSQ is attached to my OP. I'll have to get a log.