Twin Turbo Delorean Not Starting

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Twin Turbo Delorean Not Starting

Post by TwinTurboDeLorean »

Latest engine log attached...It still will not start but i here some combustion. pulling plugs is one option. does anyone have any other suggestions?
does the ignition look close enough that it should start based on this log and msq up above? factory spark for this engine at idle is 13 degrees
1981 DeLorean, 5-Speed, 2.85 PRV Odd-Fire, High Lift Cams, Ported/Polished Heads, Stock bottom end, 8.8:1 Comp, Twin Garrett GT1548s, MS2Extra 3.57, Innovate LC-2 WB, Jeep IAC, 36-1 T-Wheel, Stock Dizzy(Mech Adv Locked), 45 PSI fuel, Accel 24 lb Inj, Vibrant evac can recirculating system, TPS
ImageImage[/url]
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Have you put a timing light on it and checked the timing when cranking?
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

With this odd-fire, basic-trigger, single-coil system I would check spark timing on every cylinder. I see too many chances for #1 to be set right on, but some others not follow as you think they will.
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

billr wrote:With this odd-fire, basic-trigger, single-coil system I would check spark timing on every cylinder. I see too many chances for #1 to be set right on, but some others not follow as you think they will.
How do I check spark timing on every cylinder?
1981 DeLorean, 5-Speed, 2.85 PRV Odd-Fire, High Lift Cams, Ported/Polished Heads, Stock bottom end, 8.8:1 Comp, Twin Garrett GT1548s, MS2Extra 3.57, Innovate LC-2 WB, Jeep IAC, 36-1 T-Wheel, Stock Dizzy(Mech Adv Locked), 45 PSI fuel, Accel 24 lb Inj, Vibrant evac can recirculating system, TPS
ImageImage[/url]
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

slow_hemi6 wrote:Have you put a timing light on it and checked the timing when cranking?
I have new plugs arriving tomorrow and I will recheck with a timing light. I appreciate the help. Thank you.
ImageImage[/url]
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Connect the light to each other cylinder's plug wire, instead of just #1. You will have to add timing marks that represent TDC for the other cylinders, but nothing real accurate, just dabs of paint or pieces of white tape. We just want to be sure there isn't some gross mistiming, like cross-fire in the dizzy.
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Ok, so I have made some progress. Currently it will start with throttle pedal help but not idle on it's own yet. I can keep it running until it reaches operating temperature, love the whistling of the turbos :)
If anyone has any pointers on the steps to take one by one I'd appreciate it. Otherwise I am going to go back to the manual to figure out how to get it to start and idle without touching the pedal....
ImageImage[/url]
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Sounds like it needs some type of, or more of, Fast Idle or IAC for warmup.
Cheers Luke
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

What has changed in the MSQ from 5/24/17, when it wouldn't start?
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

After letting it sit and cool down i tried it again and it started up fairly easy and held an idle. I tried to attached the log but it is bigger than the size allowed. how do i make it smaller?
ImageImage[/url]
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Attached is the msq that worked(this is a restore point file). I started making changes and it died. I will have to wait until tomorrow to resume.
would anyone mind taking a look and let me know if you see anything obvious?
It was with this tune that, when letting the car sit and cool off/fuel evaporate, that it started the best yet and actually held an idle for 5-10 minutes. I did a facebook live video of it.
ImageImage[/url]
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I think both the priming pulse and WUE need to be increased. For a shorter MSL, they can be "trimmed" in MLV, but it really would be easier to simply fire the engine again and take another log.
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

billr wrote:I think both the priming pulse and WUE need to be increased. For a shorter MSL, they can be "trimmed" in MLV, but it really would be easier to simply fire the engine again and take another log.
Thanks for the tips. Will do. Also, will redo the log. Thanks
ImageImage[/url]
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Everyoneone, please see my latest log. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I can get it to start and idle, but it "hunts" up and down. I do have performance cams in the engine, but it is not running as smoothly and as steadily as it did before with the k-jet setup.
ImageImage[/url]
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Also, attached is latest msq. Thank you all.
ImageImage[/url]
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

There is continuous sync-loss in that latest MSL, reason 14. I'm guessing that may be because this is odd-fire and the dizzy reluctor may not have even spacing between teeth, maybe just one edge of each tooth is different. Can you post a picture of that reluctor? Maybe a new "tooth log", too.
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

billr wrote:There is continuous sync-loss in that latest MSL, reason 14. I'm guessing that may be because this is odd-fire and the dizzy reluctor may not have even spacing between teeth, maybe just one edge of each tooth is different. Can you post a picture of that reluctor? Maybe a new "tooth log", too.
Link to image:
http://store.delorean.com/popup.aspx?sr ... 109092.JPG
ImageImage[/url]
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Ah, yes, that tooth spacing looks as ugly as I feared; but I'm not certain it really is the "lost sync" problem. We need a real MS expert to join in here...
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

How do we summon them?
I added the 10k resistor that was recommended by matt cramer at diyautotune.
ImageImage[/url]
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

It might be the other way around, a bad connection or perhaps pot adjustment might be causing it to loose the tach input and each time it does that, it might be registering sync loss. Most systems record a sync loss when you key off but keep logging. The zero rpm might be triggering the sync loss counter.
Cheers Luke