Twin Turbo Delorean Not Starting

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Twin Turbo Delorean Not Starting

Post by TwinTurboDeLorean »

I was able to get missing over 3500 rpms resolved: i messed with the rev limiter, trying different rpms to test, and then reset it to 6000 rpm and now the miss is gone!!
Now the next major issue to resolve is why tunerstudio reads a constant 12:1 AFR with no change.....help? I replaced the sensor today thinking it was bad, recalibrated it as well and no change. is there a setting i have wrong that is not allowing me to see actual AFR? Its an Innovate LC-2.
see attached msq
1981 DeLorean, 5-Speed, 2.85 PRV Odd-Fire, High Lift Cams, Ported/Polished Heads, Stock bottom end, 8.8:1 Comp, Twin Garrett GT1548s, MS2Extra 3.57, Innovate LC-2 WB, Jeep IAC, 36-1 T-Wheel, Stock Dizzy(Mech Adv Locked), 45 PSI fuel, Accel 24 lb Inj, Vibrant evac can recirculating system, TPS
ImageImage[/url]
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

if you plug the computer directly in to the lc-2 what does it report?
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

grom_e30 wrote:if you plug the computer directly in to the lc-2 what does it report?
11.5/11.7 through logworks 3. and it changes when i rev it up too. but not in tunerstudio. Why is this?
1981 DeLorean, 5-Speed, 2.85 PRV Odd-Fire, High Lift Cams, Ported/Polished Heads, Stock bottom end, 8.8:1 Comp, Twin Garrett GT1548s, MS2Extra 3.57, Innovate LC-2 WB, Jeep IAC, 36-1 T-Wheel, Stock Dizzy(Mech Adv Locked), 45 PSI fuel, Accel 24 lb Inj, Vibrant evac can recirculating system, TPS
ImageImage[/url]
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Did you calibrate the sensor/controller or did you Calibrate AFR Table under Tools in Tuner Studio?
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

slow_hemi6 wrote:Did you calibrate the sensor/controller or did you Calibrate AFR Table under Tools in Tuner Studio?
Its grayed out. Why wont it let me select the option?
ImageImage[/url]
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

Under <Tools><Un\Lock Calibrations>
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

also did you connect the yellow or the brown wire to the megasquirt as they are set to output different voltages?
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

grom_e30 wrote:also did you connect the yellow or the brown wire to the megasquirt as they are set to output different voltages?
Yellow to pink o2 sig on diyautotune harness
ImageImage[/url]
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

ok that should be the 0-5v signal the ecu is expecting unless you changed it in the lm programmer software
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Ok, so O2 is working properly and I'm back to testing. Currently I am getting a popping sound upon deceleration and at low rpm and idle out of the exhaust; so much so that it is distracting and I need to fix it. I attempted to attach a log file but its too big due to the time I spent on the drive, I will work on cutting it down. In the meantime is the attached MSQ from tonight's test.
ImageImage[/url]
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Have you checked spark timing on all cylinders? I'm thinking your odd-fire phasing may have to be set to "custom".
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

billr wrote:Have you checked spark timing on all cylinders? I'm thinking your odd-fire phasing may have to be set to "custom".
As far as I recall, the GM V6 is standard oddfire 90-150. This has been run with a distributor in oddfire mode too.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

oddfire first angle = 90
oddfire phasing = alternate (not custom)
skip pulses = 3
Rising Edge, Going High
These are in the MSQ, right?
ImageImage[/url]
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

OK, so this PRV engine is a 90* V6 with common crank-pins; settings are the same as for a similar GM odd-fire. Still, it wouldn't hurt to check timing on all cylinders, to be sure there isn't some other problem, would it?
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

billr wrote:OK, so this PRV engine is a 90* V6 with common crank-pins; settings are the same as for a similar GM odd-fire. Still, it wouldn't hurt to check timing on all cylinders, to be sure there isn't some other problem, would it?
Forgive the "green" question, but how exactly do I do that after putting the inductive clamp on each cylinder wire? What am I looking for on the timing pointer at the crank pulley for each cylinder when doing this to verify? I am also going to do a compression test to make sure mechanically the engine is good as well as start checking for electrical issues with the ignition system (from plugs to coil) and the fuel injectors (from injectors to ecu).
ImageImage[/url]
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Log attached, also here is video of it during the same attached log: https://youtu.be/meq3-kCOU2Y
You can hear it randomly pop every few seconds....
Any thoughts?
ImageImage[/url]
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

You need to add timing marks to the pulley that indicate TDC (or whatever you want to check it at in "fixed timing") for each of the other cylinders. This should only be three more marks, at most. They can be temporary (dab of paint or piece of tape) and don't have to be super-accurate. I'm only looking to eliminate something simple and gross, like cross-firing in the dizzy cap or along plug wires.

It looks like you MAP AE is way too sensitive, try turning AE off (highest thresholds possible) until you are past the basic issues of getting it to run OK steady-state.
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Ok, question, my distributor cap looks like the following at the link. I understand how tuner studio knows where cylinder 1 is. But how does it know where the other 5 cylinders are when the terminals on the cap are not evenly spaced?
http://m.oreillyauto.com/h5/r/oap/site/ ... &ppt=C0334
ImageImage[/url]
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

there the odd fire angles. it knows that cylinder one fires then 90 later the next cylinder, then 150 later the next cylinder and so on......
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I now understand that this PRV V6 has 90* banks, but do we know for sure that crank-pins aren't split? I think I have heard of odd-fire V6s that have split pins, they just aren't as "odd" as those with common pins. Obviously, I'm still touting use of a strobe light on all cylinders. It cuts through all the theory and possible problems and shows where the spark is occurring.