Twin Turbo Delorean Not Starting

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Twin Turbo Delorean Not Starting

Post by TwinTurboDeLorean »

Hello,
I have just completed building and wiring my 1981 DeLorean Twin Turbo Setup for MS2 3.57 With Batchfire and Ignition Control.
It will not start currently because it is "Not RPM synced". I have verified that I do have the distributor pickup correctly wired to MS2 (VR, no crank trigger) and that MS2 is correctly wired (brown wire) to the negative side of the coil.
I took the top of the MS2 and am aware of the potentiometers that can be turned but haven't touched them yet.
I have come here seeking help first to see if there is anything else to check or adjust in settings or hardware before turning those screws.
I can provide any information if needed, again, I am brand new to this so forgive me for being green.
MSQ attached.
If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it

Thank you,
Josh Q
1981 DeLorean
Columbus, OH
1981 DeLorean, 5-Speed, 2.85 PRV Odd-Fire, High Lift Cams, Ported/Polished Heads, Stock bottom end, 8.8:1 Comp, Twin Garrett GT1548s, MS2Extra 3.57, Innovate LC-2 WB, Jeep IAC, 36-1 T-Wheel, Stock Dizzy(Mech Adv Locked), 45 PSI fuel, Accel 24 lb Inj, Vibrant evac can recirculating system, TPS
ImageImage[/url]
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Twin Turbo Delorean Not Starting

I adjusted the pots and have "rpm synced", ase, and wue in the green along with "ready". However, no matter how I adjust them, I can't get the loud noise from the engine bay to go away without losing the signal....any ideas how to resolve this?
1981 DeLorean, 5-Speed, 2.85 PRV Odd-Fire, High Lift Cams, Ported/Polished Heads, Stock bottom end, 8.8:1 Comp, Twin Garrett GT1548s, MS2Extra 3.57, Innovate LC-2 WB, Jeep IAC, 36-1 T-Wheel, Stock Dizzy(Mech Adv Locked), 45 PSI fuel, Accel 24 lb Inj, Vibrant evac can recirculating system, TPS
ImageImage[/url]
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

how are you driving the coil? with the on board bip373? do you get sparks in test mode. also a data log of a failed start may help
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Coil is driven by MS. In test mode I can hear spark clicks that change in frequency when i change the interval.
I can do a data log of a failed start. Forgive me for the newbie question, but are there any settings i need to have for the data log before creating and sharing such as logger type?
thank you for the help.
ImageImage[/url]
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

you may want to double check your 'spark output setting' see the tool tip for info.

as to the data log along the top menu go to 'data logging' click start logging try to start it, after click stop. this will record all the info like sensor readings and injector p/w ect.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

See data log attached. I went ahead and started it , despite the noise and it attempted to start/coughed....
ImageImage[/url]
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

tps sensor reading looks odd how it steadily climes up. also rpm reading looks odd it appears to be reading 1600 or so rpm when the engine is not cranking

edit the sound may well be your coils and injectors firing as the ecu thinks the engine is running
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

I currently dont have tps setup, just the pigtail ready. How do I disable?
Any ideas on why rpms showing high?
Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.
ImageImage[/url]
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

if you tie the tps signal to ground it will stop it floating, you may need to re calibrate it in the tools menu so it reads zero.
what type of sensor are you using for rpm?
spittybug
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by spittybug »

As messaged, get the MAP connected, put on a rev limit and get some VE bins above 100 since you are turbo....... I think your clicking is injectors/spark working but obviously engine won't start without a MAP signal........
'81 Delorean DMC-12 V6, 90* oddfire, 2.85 L, MS2e 3.4.0, TSv3.0.28

1.21 Gigawatts of raw EFI and spark controlled power! :yeah!:
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

grom_e30 wrote:you may want to double check your 'spark output setting' see the tool tip for info.
per my build sheet, "Modify Megasquirt II V3.57 for single Bosch BIP373 ignition output on pin 36. Uses JS10 for spark A output pin. Spark output needs to be set to Going High. "
ImageImage[/url]
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

msq is set to 'going low'
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

grom_e30 wrote:if you tie the tps signal to ground it will stop it floating, you may need to re calibrate it in the tools menu so it reads zero.
what type of sensor are you using for rpm?
Grounded the TPS and it stopped floating, hopefully resolved for that.
As for the type of sensor for rpm, using the stock distributor that has had the mechanical advance weight arms tacked, confirmed correctly done. The signal comes from the reluctor,magnet impulse coil. There are two wires; one is the signal wire, the other is the sheild/ground. I have the signal wire going to pin 24 "tach in", the other wire, which is bare copper strands/ground/shield, is going to pin 1, "crank sensor ground". This wiring has also been confirmed correct.
ImageImage[/url]
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

grom_e30 wrote:msq is set to 'going low'
weird, it was set to going high and as you stated, it was at low. I have corrected it. Thank you!
ImageImage[/url]
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

spittybug wrote:As messaged, get the MAP connected, put on a rev limit and get some VE bins above 100 since you are turbo....... I think your clicking is injectors/spark working but obviously engine won't start without a MAP signal........
Map Connected, i forgot to reconnect when i removed ecu to remove cover to adjust vr pots.
VE bins corrected to a good start from calculation table i found from megamanual website.
Thank you!
ImageImage[/url]
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Current MSQ Attached. Please let me know if you see any additional issues with tables or settings.
Thank you all for the help with this. I sincerely do appreciate it.
ImageImage[/url]
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

TwinTurboDeLorean wrote:The signal comes from the reluctor,magnet impulse coil.
i have no clue what that is, is it connected to the flux capacitor?? sounds like a vr sensor
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Latest data log attached....
ImageImage[/url]
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

grom_e30 wrote:
TwinTurboDeLorean wrote:The signal comes from the reluctor,magnet impulse coil.
i have no clue what that is, is it connected to the flux capacitor?? sounds like a vr sensor
yes, its a vr sensor....the stock components in the distributor
ImageImage[/url]
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

ah ok, well good news is you are not reading 1600rpm when the engine is not moving, you tps is not floating and you map reading is good. bad news is the rpm signal is braking up and your rpm is dropping to zero when the engine is still cranking