Twin Turbo Delorean Not Starting

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Mr Bombjoy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Twin Turbo Delorean Not Starting

Post by Mr Bombjoy »

Wolfman11 wrote:OK, the distributor said it all. Sorry for me wrong. I read about the history of this engine and the article pointet at it´s strange even fire sequence. Read again, very early ones were odd.
No worries! It's a weird, unloved motor lineage, build with peculiar methods, a meandering history, and equally confusing nomenclature.

Fortunately with a little boost they really wake up, which improves the cars character immensely.
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by TwinTurboDeLorean »

Wolfman11 wrote:Hi, I like the look of your build, even from the small picture. Nice!
I have followed this thread from the beginning and have not really understood it´s problems and especially not how they got solved. It sems some issues just disappered.
It is fine when errors disappear, but usually this does not happen without intervention by the operator. So maybe some points I noticed can make further tuning easier for you.

1. You moved the earth point from the intake to the engine block, this solved a major problem. Why? Grounding this and any other ECU is most important! Also, a wide band lambda like the Innovate can be way of without proper grounding.

2. While working on the car, what kind of charger do you use? Some chargers can put out noise that disturbs sensors, even more with weak grounding and a low battery. If you want to power the ECU directly, the 12 volt source has to be stabilized.

3. You should figure out theoretically what engine you have and how it fires, which sequence and on what degrees. No need to measure this!

4. Proper grounding is not something to do some time, when the engine runs, but all further programming depends on it and consistent sensor readings. You get all kinds of strange, non repeatable faults from mistakes you have there.

I hope this might help a little, good luck,

Chris
Having the ground wires on the intake caused interference. Probably due to the distributor being directly below. Moving them down below the distributor didn't cause interference.
I use an Optima battery and Optima charger (The smaller one). I did not do any tuning with the charger connected.
As stated previously, the engine is odd-fire 2.85 PRV
1981 DeLorean, 5-Speed, 2.85 PRV Odd-Fire, High Lift Cams, Ported/Polished Heads, Stock bottom end, 8.8:1 Comp, Twin Garrett GT1548s, MS2Extra 3.57, Innovate LC-2 WB, Jeep IAC, 36-1 T-Wheel, Stock Dizzy(Mech Adv Locked), 45 PSI fuel, Accel 24 lb Inj, Vibrant evac can recirculating system, TPS
ImageImage[/url]
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Wolfman11 wrote:Hi, as far as I could find out ist the Peugeot/ Citroen engine a 90° even fire. It is no GM product! This explains why your engine is running. It is timed like a straigt 6. So, mystery solved.
This is not a Citroen or GM engine. Its an odd-fire PRV.
1981 DeLorean, 5-Speed, 2.85 PRV Odd-Fire, High Lift Cams, Ported/Polished Heads, Stock bottom end, 8.8:1 Comp, Twin Garrett GT1548s, MS2Extra 3.57, Innovate LC-2 WB, Jeep IAC, 36-1 T-Wheel, Stock Dizzy(Mech Adv Locked), 45 PSI fuel, Accel 24 lb Inj, Vibrant evac can recirculating system, TPS
ImageImage[/url]
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

All, I had put this project off for a couple months while i was busy with life. I am getting heavily back in to it.
Last night i started it up and let it idle. I happened to do this with the garage lights off and noticed the passenger side header is glowing. The driver side is not glowing. I have been researching what may be causing this. I have ruled out timing because then both sides would glow (if too retarded). I have ruled out the fuel injectors because i swapped them.
I would like to possibly add a second wide-band setup, LC-2 (identical to the driver side) to the passenger side. However, I haven't figured out how to wire it to megasquirt and if i can independently control both banks. I am assuming that the passenger side is running lean for whatever reason; I can't find any vacuum leaks.
Do any of you know how to wire a second LC-2 wide band to the megasquirt (see my signature) and then control the banks independently with batch-fire?
ImageImage[/url]
panel
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by panel »

'65 VW Bus with a Subaru EJ20 Turbo conversion , Air to water I/C , LS coils , 14Point7 Spartan 2 & Solid Air Fuel Ratio 52mm gauge.
MS2 Extra V3.0 board
Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Raymond_B »

If it were me I'd simply swap the wideband over to that side first and confirm your suspicion before spending money. If it is truly lean then you'd have to ask yourself, why are the two banks of my engine so different in fueling?
1995 Ford Lightning. Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, etc. MS3X/v3.57
http://www.buildpics.org/
Wolfman11
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Wolfman11 »

If you find no cause in the MS setting, I would have a look at cam timing. It should have one cam per bank (I have been wrong about this engine before, I am careful now), if one is off for a tooth (opening early), there will be no mechanical problem, but you will notice a change in exhaust temperature. So, to put it clear, this will not change AFR significantly. The simple way to check this, is to make a compression test. If one bank is lower than the other, it gets more probable this might be the cause. I dont think you will notice to much difference in the idle or running, because this is odd fireing anyway.

About timing of turbo engine, because the turbo needs energy too spool, the exhaust should open a little earlier, compared to naturally aspirated. You take away some pressure from the piston and give it to the turbine. So if you intentionally set the cams wrong, it should be that way. With an aspirated engine, you would move the intake to closing later, to move the power up the rpm band. Off course, you are not that flexible with one cam per bank, if you got two cams ber bank, things get complicated.
But as long as you stay with mild cams, there is not much to worry about. Also, your small turbos will spool good enough, even on stock timing.
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

2017-09-15_21.30.09.msl
ImageImage[/url]
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

20170915947.msq
ImageImage[/url]
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

messing around with the ve tables, i added more in the bins around idle and the glow from the passenger side went away. Though i can smell its running rich.
ImageImage[/url]
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Just an update. I have the ignition table set where I want for now until i can get into dynotuning it.
Currently it fires about 2 seconds slower than I'd like, compared to modern cars. No pedal is required however. I am curious to what all i can adjust besides fuel cranking and idle cranking to shorten fire time. Otherwise, it's not terrible, im nitpicking.
Right now my bigger issue is with idle rpms. Im running open loop currently and randomly when starting it will race up to 1500-1700 rpms and then after a minute or so it will drop down to the desired target of 850-900 rpms...the iac is at 0/completely closed during this to eliminate it as the culprit. Any ideas?
Another thing i am working on expanding to is in addition to the fuel ve table, incorporating the A/F table. Is there any good documentation on here besides the manual for getting both to get along together?
Thanks for all of the help guys.
ImageImage[/url]
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

:msq:
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Sorry for the delay as this is a side/weekend project for me.
Attached is the msl and msq files for just a moment ago. what happens is when i give it gas when idling, it takes a long time to settle back down to idle.
Would anyone be able to diagnose how to fix this?
Attachments
2017-10-14_10.41.33.msl
(460.05 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
CurrentTune1014171040.msq
(119.4 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
ImageImage[/url]
LAV1000
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LAV1000 »

I see some thing s on the log:
TPS doesn't drop to zero.
MAP ae is trigger happy.
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

LAV1000 wrote:I see some thing s on the log:
TPS doesn't drop to zero.
MAP ae is trigger happy.
I noticed tps too and adjusted it and it doesn't go to zero, ill mess with the calibration some more.
How do I fix mapae?
Thanks for the help
ImageImage[/url]
LAV1000
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LAV1000 »

I don't run a map setup, but check accel enrichment, time based accel enrichment.

How is voltage compensation on the injectors.
First part of log Battv is at 12.7 Volt and at speedy idle it is 13.6 Volt
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

tps adjusted. now it idles high. see attached.
Attachments
2017-10-14_18.17.23.msl
(201.57 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
CurrentTune1014171040.msq
(119.4 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
ImageImage[/url]
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

at 176 degrees it lowered to target rpm...it still hangs and slowly works back to idle.
ImageImage[/url]
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

increased slider to 90% tps and it resolved issue. thanks. it doesnt seem to like 100% tps.
ImageImage[/url]
TwinTurboDeLorean
Helpful MS/Extra'er

LAV1000 wrote: How is voltage compensation on the injectors.
First part of log Battv is at 12.7 Volt and at speedy idle it is 13.6 Volt
i apologize, not following. what change should i make?
ImageImage[/url]