opinions on my progress

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

trtinker6
MS/Extra Newbie

opinions on my progress

Post by trtinker6 »

MS Extra V3.4.2 and Tuner Studio V2.6.19
Ford 5.0 from Explorer, 64mm TB, custom open upper plenum, AFR 165 heads w/58 cc chambers, Comp XE264HR cam, 24# Ford injectors, tube headers, EDIS.
I have been fine tuning the tune for a while, and have a decent idle and running. I have enabled closed loop idle, but have not begun acc. enrichment.
I sometimes see A/F on the dash gauge that would indicate a very lean mix - one that doesn't exist in the AFR table. Perhaps the VE for that bin is off?
Have a look at my data, and offer any suggestions. I do plan a dyno tune in the near future.
Thanks in advance,
Dennis
Drew442
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: opinions on my progress

Post by Drew442 »

If you have EGO control enabled and the VE table is way off it won't have the authority to bring it back in range of what is in the AFR table. That's not what it's for.

What you're looking for is VE analyze live. This will have the authority to make those large changes. The calculations are done on your laptop, not the controller.

What I do is disable EGO control, start VEAL and then drive around for a while, try to hit those problem conditions, after some time it'll be pretty close. Close enough to enable EGO control again and have it hit the AFR targets.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by turbo conversion »

VEAL is programmed to work with EGO enabled so no need to disable it.

If you don't have VEAL I highly recommend it, what you save in fuel alone trying to tune it your self will pay for it.

David
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd
trtinker6
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by trtinker6 »

Thanks for the suggestions, and yes, I have been using VEAL. My uncertainty is whether I have a proper AFR table, and if it is incorrect, I am tuning a bad set of data.
Also, I am unsure of the injector settings. I have .950 dead time set in, and .2ms/volt. I have Greg Banish's book, and he puts considerable emphasis on
injector data, although many others don't seem as concerned. Well, any more suggestions will be gladly accepted!
Dennis
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by turbo conversion »

There are two things that you need to address before going any further.

One is dwell type should be set to Fixed instead of Standard for EDIS.

The other is your battery voltage is jumping around to much, it needs to be stable for MS and TS to work correctly.

Is all your grounding per the manual, if not that is a problem and needs to be fixed.

David

EDIT: Look on you tube under Megasquirt fuel injector dead-time flow testing for how to get dead time for your injectors.
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd
trtinker6
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by trtinker6 »

David, Thanks for looking, many thanks! I looked, and the information to set the EDIS dwell to fixed seems a little hard to find.
I have done that now, and will proceed with connections checks and the alternator. I had wondered about the
voltage trace. I have a rear mount battery with #2 copper to the starter, and #4 copper to a firewall mounted post. The same for the
ground. I have a relay to power the MS, and will replace it to ensure it isn't the problem.
It will be a while before this is accomplished, and I will report back.
Dennis