5SGE help!

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Tarzan92
MS/Extra Newbie

5SGE help!

Post by Tarzan92 »

Long in the sort of it I have swapped the head from an 86 3SGE onto my 2.2l 1990 5sfe. Result? Gnarly flow, more displacement, and with oversized pistons and a shaved head and block, wonderful compression. Problem is, I have just finished my MS2 V3.0 and am in need of a good base map to tune from, this is my first build, and I don't want to start with all 0's in my afr target tables, or my VE tables. thought about using the ka24de map, but not sure, anyone have any suggestions? Also keeping naturally aspirated, no boost. Allmotor. Thanks for any help! :yeah!:
suberimakuri
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: 5SGE help!

Post by suberimakuri »

I think you'll find using a 4age 'map' to be reasonable starting point.
You will have different injector sizes which will alter the req fuel and give you more gas compared to 4AGE.
But you could also use the VE table generator

Load whatever base map.
Go through and check AFR table and timing table are what you want.
Setup ego correction and give it a wide authority.

Test you don't have any fuel leaks, bring it up to pressure using test mode.
Bring engine oil pressure up by cranking without ecu connected. Either on gauge or to sound of it.
Then you'll want to warm up your o2 sensor if it's not already. I normally have mine on fused ignition switch for this purpose, not fuel pump relay.
Then it's a matter of getting it started by altering the cranking map and then altering the fuel table.
Autotune may be helpful if it's not farting and missing.... autotune doesn't like mis fires, it gets confused.

If you've done any sort of tuning with MS before then this should be straight forward.
You can go through the whole process until the start point and see what you think. If too daunting at that point then I suggest getting someone to help you.
DiyR
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by DiyR »

Tarzan92 - how'd you make out?

I'm setting up a DIYPNP w/ MS2/Extra 3.4.2 on a 5SFE and am struggling with the triggering wheel. Are you using a 24 tooth distributor? I've got both the 93 4 and 1 tooth wheels and a 91 24 and 1 tooth wheels. Curious on your settings.

-Chris
suberimakuri
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by suberimakuri »

DiyR, 24 and 1 is good. Settings are in the manual under nippondenso.