MOTORCYCLE ENGINE CRANK TRIGGER

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

senna
MS/Extra Newbie

MOTORCYCLE ENGINE CRANK TRIGGER

Post by senna »

Hi all
Anyone used ms3 etc to run a Suzuki bandit 1200 engine on throttle bodies,, my problem at the moment is what to use for the crank trigger reference,
the std trigger is as can be seen on the image, i would like to use a 36-1 common shape disc, but the problem is the disc trigger area with sensor is in oil and to do a
fixed timing check just cranking would be messy, but high rpm test would be a lot worse, plus there is no fixed timing area to check against, i could make that, has anyone done any work on a bandit 1200 engine,
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MOTORCYCLE ENGINE CRANK TRIGGER

Post by grom_e30 »

the 3 short 1 long suzuki trigger pattern is not compatable with megasquirt you would be bettor off converting to a conventional trigger pattern like 36-1 or 24-2 ect. does your timing cover have an inspection plug for checking the timing?
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
senna
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by senna »

No inspection hole,, just timing is fixed,, CDI i would think need to use a different coil setup, like a coil pack NO edis,, just trying to find out 100% if the location of
the crank sensor trigger is housed in oil,, i've had 3 of these bikes, and cant remember for sure as i know i had the engine cover off one and there was oil,, but i think it was
from a faulty oil pressure switch,, no timing cover to strobe against,, yes i would use a different trigger disc,, The main issue is if the trigger location is housed in oil.
i will do a car project,
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

VR sensors are commonly operated in (hot) oil, and I expect most Hall sensors are sealed well enough to do so also. The oil environment should not be a problem. Heat may be an issue for a Hall, but not likely.
ArttuH
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ArttuH »

Hi. I have done few MS installations on these engines.

As already mentioned the stock trigger wheel isn't compatible with any MS version so you need to change it. Probably the simplest option is to replace the trigger wheel with something more suitable and keep the stock VR sensor. 36-1 isn't the best option IMO as tooth/gap width gets too small for the sensor. 24-2 seems to be ok. I can deliver a plug-and-play wheel if you are interested :)

Yes, checking the timing with strobe light is messy but doable. And strongly recommended as usual.
Arttu
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

There is a code patch for the 1L3S trigger, but it requires knowing how to compile modified code, which can be a bit of a pain. It also requires a modified input circuit.

As Arttu said, the easiest solution (where possible) is to simply upgrade the trigger wheel. I haven't checked the Suzukis, but there are good options for the late 90s+ Yamahas and Kawis. As for tooth count, all the Japanese OEMs use 24-2 for their late model high-revving sport bikes except Honda, who really like their 12-3 wheels.

I can't think of any bike that doesn't have SOME means of strobing the ignition timing. It might require a little head-scratching to set things up to get usable info for a new MS install, but it shouldn't be *hard*.
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
ArttuH
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ArttuH »

dontz125 wrote:There is a code patch for the 1L3S trigger, but it requires knowing how to compile modified code, which can be a bit of a pain. It also requires a modified input circuit.
If we are talking about the same code patch for MS2 I think it didn't work perfectly in the end.

Just for reference, here is how my 24-2 wheel looks like.
Arttu
red-racing
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by red-racing »

I just grinded the long tooth and run 4-1