Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

maych87
Helpful MS/Extra'er

open loop warmup idle issues

Post by maych87 »

2017-06-09_22.44.40 idles above 140.msq
2017-06-10_08.44.46.msl
Hi All

I have an aircooled porsche that I am trying to dial in the warmup settings for. I recently set up my mx3 got the vehicle running and took it to the dyno shop to have it tuned. They told me they new the tunerstudio program but ended up not really knowing it at all. They did a good job at tuning the car once they figured out the program. Cold start has been a bit of an issue. They set it up on closed loop which was giving me lots of idle issues cold and hot. I didnt really want to take it back to the shop where they were charging me as they learned the tunerstudio program. I switched it to an open loop warmup setting and it immediately fixed idle when the vehicle was warm. I played around with the idle warmup duty steps and got it idling fairly well over 140 degrees. The car is aircooled the and is at opperating temp cylinder head temp around 250 degrees. The issue is below 140 degrees i have to use the trottle to keep it running. It fires up right away but dies within a few seconds if I do not feather the throttle. I am in the learning phase of tuning and not sure if i should be touching the fuel or ignition since i dont really know what i am doing and the tuning shop supposedly set this up. it does seem like wideband reading is way to rich. I have not done the tune for you warmup enrich either as i figured i should have it maintaining an idle while warmup in before I did it. Attached is my msq the datalog. If someone could help me get it idling properly when cold that would be a huge help.
Last edited by maych87 on Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
SwedCharger-67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: open loop warmup idle issues

Post by SwedCharger-67 »

In the Tune Analyze Live you have the option to choose the Warmup Enrichment and Auto Tune. I seem to remember it worked ok when I tried it some time ago.
It might be worth a try.
Martin, Sweden
Mopar 512 cui, 8.4 liters, high compression, fuel E85, full sequential control by MS3X, burning rubber just blipping the throttle... :D
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Post a log (MSL), too.
maych87
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by maych87 »

the data log is now posted in the first post
ironwill11
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ironwill11 »

maych87 wrote:
2017-06-09_22.44.40 idles above 140.msq
2017-06-10_08.44.46.msl
Hi All

I have an aircooled porsche that I am trying to dial in the warmup settings for. I recently set up my mx3 got the vehicle running and took it to the dyno shop to have it tuned. They told me they new the tunerstudio program but ended up not really knowing it at all. They did a good job at tuning the car once they figured out the program. Cold start has been a bit of an issue. They set it up on closed loop which was giving me lots of idle issues cold and hot. I didnt really want to take it back to the shop where they were charging me as they learned the tunerstudio program. I switched it to an open loop warmup setting and it immediately fixed idle when the vehicle was warm. I played around with the idle warmup duty steps and got it idling fairly well over 140 degrees. The car is aircooled the and is at opperating temp cylinder head temp around 250 degrees. The issue is below 140 degrees i have to use the trottle to keep it running. It fires up right away but dies within a few seconds if I do not feather the throttle. I am in the learning phase of tuning and not sure if i should be touching the fuel or ignition since i dont really know what i am doing and the tuning shop supposedly set this up. it does seem like wideband reading is way to rich. I have not done the tune for you warmup enrich either as i figured i should have it maintaining an idle while warmup in before I did it. Attached is my msq the datalog. If someone could help me get it idling properly when cold that would be a huge help.
I am not that familar with your set up but it sounds like you are not getting enough fuel. Is the wide band reading rich when you have your foot on the pedal or before you put your foot on the pedal. The answer to that question can mean too different things from my understanding.

You generally want to have the idle tune down before you tune the warm up as it relates by percentages. I used the VEAL for warm up a couple times and it worked ok, but I am still working on my closed loop tuning. I did the warm featuer of VEAL just to prevent it from stalling or having to use the throttle everytime.

Will