Help me understand ReqFuel and VE map values

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

gjestico
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Help me understand ReqFuel and VE map values

Post by gjestico »

I am currently tuning a turbo 6.0 LS V8 motor. 60 LB injectors on Gasoline, MS2 controller. Alternating batch fire. AFR target incorporated.

Putting those numbers into the "Engine and sequential settings" results in a Required Fuel of 7.9. As I understand it (possibly mistakenly) This is the injector pulse width for one cylinders worth of fuel at 100% volumetric efficiency at 14.7 stoich (minus any air density calcs) ; And the VE map values are a scaling of this, IE 100 on the VE means 100% of the required fuel ? Then this number is multiplied by the AFR target. ?

I ask because I am getting 23ms pulsewidth at 140 on the VE map and an AFR target of 11:1. Whereas by my rough math the PW should be around 15ms. Engine is way rich as a result. I am lowering the numbers in the VE table gradually as a result, Just want to make sure there is not something wacky with this situation.

Thanks for the help.
67 Chevelle, LSX V8 engine, EFI., cuppa 80's TPI projects....I like wires.
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Help me understand ReqFuel and VE map values

Post by whittlebeast »

:msq:

Andy
gjestico
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by gjestico »

Thanks.

Ok I found this line in the end of the setting up manual :

PW = DT + (ReqFuel * MAP * Stoich/AFRtarget * VE[RPM,MAP] * AirDen * BaroCor * corrections)

I had not expected the MAP reading to be part of the equation. I thought only the Value in the VE table corresponding to the MAP value would be used. It appears both are used ? Does this explain the "Multiply Map" option in the setup window ? If so that explains a lot. Including the VE table numbers at idle.

So a 100 value in the VE table at 100kpa will be twice the PW as a 100 value at 50kpa ?
67 Chevelle, LSX V8 engine, EFI., cuppa 80's TPI projects....I like wires.
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

Yep that is exactly what that option is talking about. Include MAP flattens the VE table somewhat.

Andy