Advice for possible wideband controller shorting-w/datalogs

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Moody
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Advice for possible wideband controller shorting-w/datalogs

Post by Moody »

I have a Microsquirt install on a turbocharged 6 cylinder motorcycle that has been running great for quite some time now. Fuel injected about 2 years ago now, but the Innovate LC-2 wideband controller (w/lsu 4.2 sensor, so must be a earlier version of the lc-2) was installed when turbo charged and carb'd about 3 years ago.

This concern is that intermittently the bike will start running lean like its running out of gas. At first glance, I noticed the afr gauge is sitting at 9 for about 20 seconds just like the controller reset or lost power or ground (similar to when the key is powered on). It starts running lean because the MS sees a full rich condition and I had the EGO correction to +/- 25%, so it was pulling 25% fuel for about 20 seconds when this would happen.

Then, it will start to actually lock the ecu up. Possibly shorting down the 02 signal to MS? At least thats what was crossing my mind. I first replaced the Main relay because I had thought that it was lossing power to the fuse panel causing the wideband to reset and the controlled to intermittently shut down.

The datalog below, is the trip home the other day after relay replacement. 8 total afr drop outs: 592s, 605s, 1408s, 1600s, 1667s, 1728s, 1738s, 1807s
Notice the "lost sync counts" when the MS would lock up. It would require power reset to restart engine.
1st half - afr shorting_modified.zip
Half way home, I pulled over and removed the fuse to for the wideband controller and turned off the EGO correction in the MS with msdroid app.... Was able to drive home with zero issues but of course no afr reading was available. This indicated to me that the problem was either the O2 sensor or the LC-2. Today I located a new bosch lsu 4.2 sensor at the local parts store. Installed and performed new sensor calibration procedure as per Innovates user manual. Within a few minutes of idle time the ecu started locking up and shutting off again. This time I had the seat removed form the bike and was able to watch the green flashing light on the LC-2 and when the engine was stalling the green light would go from being solid green to an extremely rapid flash and then stall the engine.

The 2 datalogs below are after I disabled the wideband.
2nd half - afr disabled 1 of 2.zip
2nd half - afr disabled 2 of 2_modified.zip
I believe now that the LC-2 has an internal fault. I would like to hear thoughts from others and maybe others have had similar issus.

Thanks in advance,
Dustin