Loss of RPM signal (Possible Loss of ECU)

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Spike243
MS/Extra Newbie

Loss of RPM signal (Possible Loss of ECU)

Post by Spike243 »

Hey everyone! I am having a weird issue where I am losing rpm signal and possibly everything from the ECU on some weird conditions. It seems to happen under acceleration and moderate boost and then cures itself when I back off the throttle. I will attach a datalog and the tune file below. I couldn't seem to capture the event with the composite trigger logger but I havent used it before.

Here is my setup
6 cylinder L28et
MS2/Extra 3.4.0
Chevy coil near plug ignition
Low impedance 440cc supra injectors
Optical crank sensor on DIYautotune 12-1 wheel
I am using the relay board if any of that matters

The event occurs on records 241-243 on the datalog. (The last run where I build up boost)

Thanks for helping me out with this issue!
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Loss of RPM signal (Possible Loss of ECU)

Post by turbo conversion »

After looking at your log I don't know for sure what caused this glitch.

There is no sync loss recorded but after the glitch it goes back into ASE.

Maybe the controller lost power for a split second which could cause this issue?

I would check all grounds and main power to the controller, other than that I have no idea.

David
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

secL drops to zero so the ecu did reset.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
Spike243
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Spike243 »

I assume that SecL is seconds live? Is there anything I need to check on the ECU itself?

I will double check the power and grounds to everything. Its so strange because I only have this issue under heavier load. Thanks guys!
Spike243
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Spike243 »

turbo conversion wrote:After looking at your log I don't know for sure what caused this glitch.

There is no sync loss recorded but after the glitch it goes back into ASE.

Maybe the controller lost power for a split second which could cause this issue?

I would check all grounds and main power to the controller, other than that I have no idea.

David
This is a bit off topic but is there any way I could peek at your spark map? Or possibly the entire tune? I see that you are running a L28 as well.
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by turbo conversion »

Does it do this every time while in boost and only while in boost?

Help your self, not responsible for any damage :lol:

David

EDIT: My firmware is different (3.2.5) so some settings are different.
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd