Using stock MBT and borderline knock table

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

tbaggins
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Using stock MBT and borderline knock table

Post by tbaggins »

Background info
Attached for reference is a JPEG of the stock maximum brake torque and borderline spark tables from my ECU, as well as the default and extrapolated stock table put into TunerStudio.

I wanted to see if everything looked kosher before I start tuning the VE table. I chose to use the stock table because it was comparable to the default table in tunerstudio, and followed the same general trends. This year of mustang uses load calculated from MAF air charge. I got the car started and worked on the idle to 2000 rpm area of the VE table last night, I want to go and drive it to get some more of the map filled in, but honestly spark related stuff scares me. All of the checks are done, timing was spot on with a timing light, all my signals look good except my TPS which bounces 2-3% when the car is running (I need to get shielded wiring, the coil packs are really close to the wiring). Currently using a custom BIP373 spark box, full sequential with MS3X, 47lb EV6 injectors, idling beautifully. The car worked reasonably well on the stock ECU with a quarterhorse piggyback up to a few trials 12lbs of boost, usual was 7lbs. There were some fuel shutdown issues that I couldn't resolve so I decided to go MS.

My questions:
  • Is it ok to assume that MAF load from the stock tune is equivalent to the kPA load from tuner studio? Load is unitless isn't it (kPa current/kPa @ max * 100, or MAF current/MAF @ max).
  • Do the values look acceptable? The car is a 2V modular V8, 9.8:1 compression, stock internals (hypereutectic pistons, hence my fear of aggressive spark & detonation). The car will be seeing 5-7lbs of boost until I work on the internal engine.
  • If a number is closer to 0, it is retarded correct, which is a safer place to be? If the number in the borderline spark table (values are advance) is less than my maximum break torque value in the same area, how should I deal with it?
Attached is my MSQ file as well, just in case.
2003 Mustang 2V stock harness splice, MS3X v3.0 parallel install, full sequential, HPX MAF, Ford Ev6 47lb injectors, COP, custom 8 BIP373 box, E85 pump, teflon lined return style fuel system, 39 lb base fuel pressure, Twin Turbo @ 7lbs boost, Dual 4 port boost solenoids, Dual 14point7 widebands
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Using stock MBT and borderline knock table

Post by turbo conversion »

Are you planning on running 400 kpa (43.5 pounds of boost) at some point as your timing map indicates?

If not I would rescale it a little above future target, you will get a little more table to play with.

David
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd
tbaggins
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Using stock MBT and borderline knock table

Post by tbaggins »

That is the default map you are looking at. Mine is the one sandwiched between the two white maps. The max kPa is set to 200. I guess it is kind of confusing adding that to the picture, I just wanted it for reference to show how the stock map and the default map correlate.

I took it out for a drive and stayed below 3000 rpm and went through all the gears and as much loading range as I could up to ~2/3 throttle while autotuning. I subtracted 5 degrees of timing across the entire map above. My car was running great within 20 minutes, it would have taken me weeks with my old setup to get to this point. So glad I switched to this system. It took about a month to wire and re-do any 2nd rate work I had previously on things like the fuel and vacuum setup, but my attention to detail meant I only had one mis-wire and no noise on any of the wires that are notoriously noisy on these mustangs. The only issue I have is that as time went on, the idle went from 800 to 1500, but I think my idle set screw is moving, the nut on the end disappeared.

The TPS signal is better today, I moved it away from a coil that it was sitting next to. I tried to log the entire drive, but I am still figuring out the log settings I guess (I used the composite logger instead of the datalogger...)
2003 Mustang 2V stock harness splice, MS3X v3.0 parallel install, full sequential, HPX MAF, Ford Ev6 47lb injectors, COP, custom 8 BIP373 box, E85 pump, teflon lined return style fuel system, 39 lb base fuel pressure, Twin Turbo @ 7lbs boost, Dual 4 port boost solenoids, Dual 14point7 widebands