Practice tuning for free?

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

5.0Thunder
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Practice tuning for free?

Post by 5.0Thunder »

This is a slippery-slope question but I'm wondering how many people learned to tune and gained experience by tuning other people's cars for free..

I know you can go through schooling, classes, etc., which I anticipate doing, and I tune the crap out of my own cars (soon my friends as well), but at what point can you really charge people or call yourself a pro if you haven't tuned a boat load of other peoples cars? I wouldn't want to charge people for my lack of experience, but is it okay to help them for free with the point that "you may get what you're paying for"? Have people had trouble with "customers" wanting payment for engine damage that occurred during your tuning?

I'm comfortable with my cars and I think it would be fun for me to learn on other peoples cars as well. I'd be learning in return for their tune.

Maybe the safest method is do apprentice under a real professional. What if your local guys don't want to deal with that?
1990 Mustang: MS3Pro Gen 1, 306ci, 72mm turbo, 80lb inj, 36-1 + Cam Sync + D585 coils, World heads, TFS1 cam, GT40 intake, auto, Speed Density
1987 Mustang: MS2v3.57, direct coil control, MSD VR Dizzy, SBE, Weiand 174,190cc heads, F303 cam, TBI w/ (4) 160lb inj, GT500 MAF
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Practice tuning for free?

Post by benckj »

Your considered a professional once you get paid for the service. If you have considerable experience but still need more practice to widen your skill base convey this to prospective clients (friends) and offer reduced rates as your in a learning phase. My Tuner does this as he isn't competent with all EMS systems so it takes him several hours of his own time to come up to speed. Often we work together with my tune sharing knowledge and ideas while on his dyno. Afterwards I continue to pop around with my laptop and discuss changes for free. Its a good system and works for both of us as he can now charge others for professional MS tunes.

jim
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
MSPNP2 with 3.57 mainboard
Innovate WB O2 & soon to be external GM 3 bar MAP
FTDI USB interface on SD Android 5.1 head unit
TD05SL2-18g with external WG
HKS EBC running 17psi boost.
A2W IC with WI 50/50 meth/water
DHH
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by DHH »

I'll throw in my opinion.

When I was a trades person, I never charged my customers for me to "learn" on their time.
As a business person, I refuse to pay someone for anyone to "learn" on my time.

If I am going to pay someone to tune my car, I would expect it to run near perfect. If they damaged my motor, you'd better believe I would expect them to pay for it.

Now that being said, if someone was 100% up front with me that they've done a bunch a tuning, but are still learning, and their rate reflected their (in)experience, then that is something I may consider. If I went that route, then I would have to accept the outcome; good or bad.

If you help people for "free", as you mentioned, then no one should be able to complain if the outcome is not as they expected....including a damaged motor. Just be 100% up front with them that you don't guarantee anything.

If you're worried about someone wanting you to pay for a damaged motor, the reality is; anyone can sue for anything. The other reality is; the law is only concerned that you provided what the customer paid for. The law does not take into consideration the quality of the service. If someone pays you to tune their motor, and you tune it perfectly....you provided the service they paid for. If you tune it badly....you provided the service they paid for.

If you're tuning for "free", then I would doubt you could be held liable for anything. If you are worried about liability, then have them sign an agreement stating you are not responsible for the quality of the tuning and/or any damage caused. I would have no problem signing an agreement if someone was willing to help me for free.

Now...for liability reasons...my disclaimer: The above is only my opinion and I take no responsibility for what you do with it, and the outcome of its use.
6.2L LS3, Procharged, MS3X V3.0
22' Donzi Classic
Not yet running...
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread. ... 502-to-LS3 (Disclaimer: Contains naive info :D )
5.0Thunder
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 5.0Thunder »

Good info guys. In the Mustang world with the PNP system offered, it's pretty common for people to grab one with no knowledge of tuning, install it, and get the car running in an hour. Then they see the vast multitude of features and become overwhelmed, asking for other people's tune files (I did this in the beginning with a lot of help from Ashford). I'd like to be able to start helping people like this for free since that's my bread-n-butter platform. Free help as my free time allows with the understanding that it likely won't be 100% optimal. Then I can branch into LS platforms, miatas, etc. as I feel more comfortable. I think it'd be fun.
1990 Mustang: MS3Pro Gen 1, 306ci, 72mm turbo, 80lb inj, 36-1 + Cam Sync + D585 coils, World heads, TFS1 cam, GT40 intake, auto, Speed Density
1987 Mustang: MS2v3.57, direct coil control, MSD VR Dizzy, SBE, Weiand 174,190cc heads, F303 cam, TBI w/ (4) 160lb inj, GT500 MAF