BMW m20 off idle stumble

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Eskie
MS/Extra Newbie

BMW m20 off idle stumble

Post by Eskie »

325iX_2017-09-19_20.51.39.msq
I'm having a hard time getting rid of a "stumble" that occurs when I throttle off of idle. It is most prevalent if I free rev the engine. It also happens when I take off in 1st gear. Its like a misfire for a second. When I first started tuning this car a couple months ago I figured I could just fix it without accel enrichment. The more and more accel enrichment I added it just seemed to make it worse. At this point I am wondering if I have a rich spot that I need to lean out. It feels like a misfire due to an over rich mixture. When looking at the log it shows lean spikes right when these stumbles occur though. It is definitely more prevalent when the car is in warm up enrichment but still happens when the car is fully warmed up. This again leads me to thing something is too rich.

This engine runs very well otherwise and has definitely picked up power over the stock Motronic.

Any suggestions? Thanks
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: BMW m20 off idle stumble

Post by Matt Cramer »

Looks like it's rolling through a lean spot on the VE table.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Eskie
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Eskie »

I just noticed that my tune file didnt upload..I will get that up shortly
Eskie
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Eskie »

Here is my tune .msq
Tech85
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Tech85 »

Hey, just wondering if you were able to work out the stumble by tweaking the VE table?

If not, any recent developments?
Eskie
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Eskie »

It turns out that it was in fact, too lean. I enriched the VE table directly above idle all the way up to 100kPa. This fixed the stumble when the engine is completely warm. I tried to increase the WUE thinking it would fix the stumble while the engine was cold but it ended up just making the entire map too rich. I then turned on AE TPS and increased the cold accel and so far the stumble has been gone. I did noticed that this morning there was a slight stumble when I did a free rev test right after starting, but it was a lot colder than the past couple of days. I'm going to try either enriching the cold enrichment in AE or increase the low TPSdot PW adder to fine tune things.