Is there a good source of Toyota temp sensor calibrations?

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Danbob
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Is there a good source of Toyota temp sensor calibrations?

Post by Danbob »

Hello,. I'm looking at getting my Coolant and air temp sensor calibrations setup in ms3.

I'm using all OEM Toyota sensors (3SGTE Gen3).

So far all I can find for resistance Vs temp values for these sensors is in the vehicles service manual where you are given some values in order to troubleshoot the sensor.

Interpreting that grainy little graph doesn't seem very accurate though and also doesn't match the values given for Toyota sensors in tuner studio.

Does anybody know a good source of info on Toyota OEM sensor calibration values?
Maybe from another aftermarket ECU support documentation?

Or can anyone confirm which engine the tuner studio Toyota values are from?

Thanks
Dan
tryingbe
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Is there a good source of Toyota temp sensor calibration

Post by tryingbe »

You can confirm it yourself? Measure your sensor's resistance and compare.
1985 Dodge Omni GLH Turbo MicroSquirted 367whp http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=67324
turbo conversion
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by turbo conversion »

Enter the numbers from the manual, ohms to temperature.

David
1976 Datsun 280Z L28ET Garrett GT35R T3-T04E stage3 50 trim 63 A/R housing custom grind cam 2000-6000 rpm 440cc injectors intercooled 18 lbs. boost
3" exhaust turbo back LC-1 o2 sensor Hallman manual boost controller EDIS 6 ignition batch fire 60mm throttle body 5 spd T5 borg warner 3.54 lsd
pit_celica
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by pit_celica »

Hi, please see the joined Excel file. I have the values for ST215 engine (3SGTE gen4).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1dzg47axgnajn ... .xlsx?dl=0

Have a good day!

Sam
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

Running a 3sgte myself and the only Toyota temp sensor I use is coolant. The IAT isn’t accurate, responsive or repeatable. Save yourself some grief and install a GM fast response sensor. Could always recut thread to suit plenum position if running gen 3 engine.

Jim
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
MSPNP2 with 3.57 mainboard
Innovate WB O2 & soon to be external GM 3 bar MAP
FTDI USB interface on SD Android 5.1 head unit
TD05SL2-18g with external WG
HKS EBC running 17psi boost.
A2W IC with WI 50/50 meth/water
Danbob
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Danbob »

pit_celica wrote:Hi, please see the joined Excel file. I have the values for ST215 engine (3SGTE gen4).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1dzg47axgnajn ... .xlsx?dl=0

Have a good day!

Sam
Thanks very much for sharing that. They look in line with the figures I've come out with so if working for you that gives me some confidence! Thanks very much!
benckj wrote:Running a 3sgte myself and the only Toyota temp sensor I use is coolant. The IAT isn’t accurate, responsive or repeatable. Save yourself some grief and install a GM fast response sensor. Could always recut thread to suit plenum position if running gen 3 engine.

Jim
That's interesting to hear. I am running a Gen 3 plenum. Only reason I'd like to avoid replacing the IAT is because I've built a plug and play harness and would like to be able to swap back to the OEM ECU when I need to, especially while I'm still experimenting trying to get the Megasquirt to run.

Do you know if the Toyota ECU can run OK with the GM sensor installed?
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

That's interesting to hear. I am running a Gen 3 plenum. Only reason I'd like to avoid replacing the IAT is because I've built a plug and play harness and would like to be able to swap back to the OEM ECU when I need to, especially while I'm still experimenting trying to get the Megasquirt to run.

Do you know if the Toyota ECU can run OK with the GM sensor installed?
I do not believe the Toyota ECU can run with the GM sensor. What I did was leave the OEM sensor plugged into stock loom and placed outside plenum on underside of TB. Then I re-cut the threads on the GM sensor and installed into the IAT position in plenum. Ran 2 new cables back from IAT to MSPNP. By doing it this way I could still swap out MSPNP for the OEM ECU and it would operate.

I can provide some comparison pics and tap required for conversion if you require.

Hope that this helps.

jim
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
MSPNP2 with 3.57 mainboard
Innovate WB O2 & soon to be external GM 3 bar MAP
FTDI USB interface on SD Android 5.1 head unit
TD05SL2-18g with external WG
HKS EBC running 17psi boost.
A2W IC with WI 50/50 meth/water