tuning knock sensor with high octane fuel

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

tuning knock sensor with high octane fuel

Post by Yves »

Anyone here ever try to tune their knock sensors with high octane fuel ? If so, what were the results.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: tuning knock sensor with high octane fuel

Post by billr »

You better define what you mean by "high octane". Is that 100 octane, or something more like 115/145 avgas? How is the octane level boosted, using TEL, lots of alcohol, something else?
tryingbe
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by tryingbe »

Even though I've done tuning via reading the knock sensor, dyno tune is the best, you can see the result on the graph and don't have to worry about speed limits, driving, road condition, or traffic.
1985 Dodge Omni GLH Turbo MicroSquirted 367whp http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=67324
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

Sunoco and it's an alcohol blend as far as I know. 110 MON.
KaPower
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by KaPower »

If you mean setting up your knock threshold and other various knock system settings, then yes. I've tried the retarded ignition map by -10* degrees with 92 octane, and the retarded ignition map by -5* with a full can of Torco octane booster and 92 octane. Both methods are similar according to my logs, but the torco method is my favorite so far. I used scatter plots to identify the normal engine noise levels.
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

KaPower wrote:If you mean setting up your knock threshold and other various knock system settings, then yes. I've tried the retarded ignition map by -10* degrees with 92 octane, and the retarded ignition map by -5* with a full can of Torco octane booster and 92 octane. Both methods are similar according to my logs, but the torco method is my favorite so far. I used scatter plots to identify the normal engine noise levels.
What scatter plot did you use ?
KaPower
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by KaPower »

My Favorite is RPM/Knock-in/Knock-in & also RPM/Map/Knock-in
Attachments
Knock Scatter Plot.png
Knock Scatter Plot.png (228.23 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
KaPower
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by KaPower »

Haven't been able to make much use out of the table generator other than looking at individual cylinders to setup the gain based off load and rpm (instead of the single rpm vs noise table that we currently have) The interesting thing to note is how useful a load vs RPM table would be for setting knock input noise thresholds.
Attachments
Knock Input Table 16x16.png
Knock Input Table 16x16.png (266.28 KiB) Viewed 1001 times
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

How much octane did the booster provide. I hear they don't do all that much. Was contemplating on mixing toluene into the fuel as seemingly Sunoco stopped their supply of race fuel here.
KaPower
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by KaPower »

Torco is the real deal. Most octane boosters advertise in points that equal .1 so 92 would become 92.4 with 4 added points. Torco actually added several points extra depending on the mix ratio. My knock sensor went dead quiet with Torco added to the system, and the engine felt more powerful (possibly because way less false knock retard?). Try it out and let us know. It's 20-30 per can, but seems effective from my testing.

-Jason
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

Methanol is also a good additive directly to fuel. I routinely use 10-15% by volume in all my cars.

Jim
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
MSPNP2 with 3.57 mainboard
Innovate WB O2 & soon to be external GM 3 bar MAP
FTDI USB interface on SD Android 5.1 head unit
TD05SL2-18g with external WG
HKS EBC running 17psi boost.
A2W IC with WI 50/50 meth/water
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

benckj wrote:Methanol is also a good additive directly to fuel. I routinely use 10-15% by volume in all my cars.

Jim
I thought it doesn't mix well with fuel. I was told toluene was a better alternative.
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

Keep in mind that things like forged pistons, solid lifters and stiff powertrain mounts can give you false knock readings. Racing suspensions can also produce false knock on road.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

prof315 wrote:Keep in mind that things like forged pistons, solid lifters and stiff powertrain mounts can give you false knock readings. Racing suspensions can also produce false knock on road.
Yes, the intention was to make sure I have a situation with no knock to set a baseline.
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

I thought it doesn't mix well with fuel. I was told toluene was a better alternative.
I've done some tests and if using low mix ratios it mixes just fine. Much the same as ethanol. Toluene is expensive and I believe more corrosive to certain metals (ie brass, copper) than methanol.
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
MSPNP2 with 3.57 mainboard
Innovate WB O2 & soon to be external GM 3 bar MAP
FTDI USB interface on SD Android 5.1 head unit
TD05SL2-18g with external WG
HKS EBC running 17psi boost.
A2W IC with WI 50/50 meth/water
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

benckj wrote:
I've done some tests and if using low mix ratios it mixes just fine. Much the same as ethanol. Toluene is expensive and I believe more corrosive to certain metals (ie brass, copper) than methanol.
Are you sure about the corrosivity of Methanol vs Toluene ? I thought meth was rather corrosive ...
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

Methanol is generally much worse than toluene, especially when the methanol starts to absorb water.
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

that's what I thought.