How to set dwell settings with a Toyota "smart" ignitor

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Danbob
Experienced MS/Extra'er

How to set dwell settings with a Toyota "smart" ignitor

Post by Danbob »

Hello, still slowly getting my settings understood and dialled in on MS3x setup.

I've found out my Toyota single coil distributor driven ignition (Gen3 3SGTE) Uses a smart ignitor which calculates dwell itself, meaning I do not need the megasquirt to do this.

In this case how should I set up the ignition dwell settings in tuner studio? Unfortunately there is no reference I can find to how to set up dwell for a "smart" ignitor in the TS or setup manuals.

Thanks in advance
Dan
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: How to set dwell settings with a Toyota "smart" ignitor

Post by Matt Cramer »

We just ran those with 2.5 ms of dwell on the MSPNP. That's what the stock ECU did.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Danbob
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Danbob »

Hi Matt thanks very much for that I'll try 2.5
Cheers
Dan
Danbob
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Danbob »

Matt Cramer wrote:We just ran those with 2.5 ms of dwell on the MSPNP. That's what the stock ECU did.
Hi Matt, was that 2.5ms dwell using the "standard dwell" setting or one of the other ones?

Also this is using a later 94+ MR2/Celica ST205 igniter which is apparently different to the earlier one (although appearance is same). Did the MSPnP settings work with the later models aswell?

Thanks again
Dan
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Danbob wrote:
Matt Cramer wrote:We just ran those with 2.5 ms of dwell on the MSPNP. That's what the stock ECU did.
Hi Matt, was that 2.5ms dwell using the "standard dwell" setting or one of the other ones?
Correct, that's standard dwell.
Also this is using a later 94+ MR2/Celica ST205 igniter which is apparently different to the earlier one (although appearance is same). Did the MSPnP settings work with the later models aswell?
We haven't seen any difference.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Danbob
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Danbob »

OK thanks, this sort of info from somebody who's done it before really gives me a lot more confidence!
Cheers
Dan