MAT/CLT Correction Findings

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Bakerboy
MS/Extra Newbie

MAT/CLT Correction Findings

Post by Bakerboy »

Hi,

Recently I have been working on my tune and have been working with the MAT/CLT correction table for better idle after a hot restarts and extended idle time in traffic and have noticed a few things that I think may be odd.
As I understand it the MAT/CLT correction table is to compensate for the intake air temperature at idle and low airflow speeds, which after a hot restart would be near coolant temperature say 90 degrees celsius e.g heat soaked from absorbing heat from the cooling system. So at idle airflow for me flow is approximately 22500 and after a hot restart I would need a correction of approximately 100% as intake air temperature would be at or close to coolant temperature. As the airflow increases the correction % can be reduced due to the air moving quickly, not being able to absorb the heat from the intake walls.
In my datalog at 971.452 seconds you can see that the air density correction is at 84%, at this point my MAT is 53.4 degrees celsius, TPS 0.0%, RPM 669. You can also see that there is 0.3 degrees of MAT retard. If you check my MAT - based timing retard settings you will see that MS3 is reading the MAT as something above 82.2 degrees celsius to pull timing when it is only 53.4, where it should not be pulling any timing. You can also see that my settings for the Air Density correction at 53.4 degrees celsius should be somewhere above 90% say 91 - 92% correction and not the 84% that it is.
Another example is at 1032.422 seconds the air density correction is 82.9%, MAT 53.1 degrees celsius, 1.1 degrees of MAT retard. For MS3 to be removing 1.1 degrees of ignition timing it sees the MAT between 82.2 & 93.3 approximately 88 degrees when it is actually 53.1. My air density correction table at 53.1 should only have a correction of above 90% approximately 92% not 82.9%.
Shouldn't MS3 be decreasing the amount of fuel being pulled because of the correction adjustment from the MAT/CLT table eg a higher number or closer to 100% and not increasing the amount of fuel being pulled. :?
It appears that the code is pulling too much fuel because it is seeing a higher MAT than what is being input to the MS3, when it should be only pulling a smaller amount. It is as though the MAT/CLT correction table is adding to the MAT giving the false reading rather than reducing it to give a lesser MAT input to compensate for heat soaking.
I apologize in advance if I am looking at this the wrong way, and by no means am I a pro tuner. :roll: I am just trying to understand what is going on.
I am using am MS3 running firmware 1.3.4. and Tunerstudio version 3.0.28
Attachments
2018-01-26_00.01.13.msq
(237.62 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
2017-12-31_14_modified.msl
(1.37 MiB) Downloaded 34 times
DocWalt
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: MAT/CLT Correction Findings

Post by DocWalt »

Unfortunately it accomplishes the exact opposite of what you want for taking care of a heatsoaked MAT sensor. I don't have nearly enough airflow at idle to keep the MAT sensor from heatsoaking, so as I sit in traffic with EGO correction on, it slows starts adding more and more fuel as the MAT compensation takes fuel out...

The MAT/CLT blend is intended to help compensate for the air being heated by the hot intake manifold/cylinder head to try and get a more accurate temperature of the air charge as it enters the cylinder. This feature works well for that! If I'm driving around and keeping the MAT temp close to actual air temp then this feature helps a lot by leaning ot the fuel a little bit. Unfortunately I ended up pretty much disabling this feature because my MAT sensor heat soaks and then it's way too lean and EGO runs out of authority until the engine dies.
'92 GTI 16V running MS2 v3.57 & MS2/Extra v3.4.0