PW1 & PW2 different?

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Matches
MS/Extra Newbie

PW1 & PW2 different?

Post by Matches »

Hi,

I did all my tuning on the street in fairly cold weather, and now that things have suddenly warmed by 20-30 degrees F, the car is running really lean after a long drive. Looking through data logs for clues, I noticed pulsewidth 1 and 2 are different on this log, but never seen that before. Shouldn't they always be the same?

Megasquirt 2 V.30
3.0L 7MGTE engine, inline 6. Turbo, intercooled. Stock 440cc injectors with resistors. EDIS 6.
Engine is swapped into an old car previously carbureted

Everything starts out fine and normal, but the longer I drive the leaner the engine goes at cruise. When I whack the throttle, everything seems to work as it ought to and goes to good AFRs. But cruise and idle very lean until it starts surging and driving poorly.

One thing I did notice is how loud the fuel pump had gotten when I finally got off the freeway. Wondering if the problem is just something stupid like my gas tank not venting or the pump working too hard to pull fuel in.

The funny thing is, so long as it's cold out no problems at all. The issue seems to show up only when the weather turns hot (68F +) So far won't do it in the morning, only on my drive home from work.
Any advise is much appreciated, thanks!
Attachments
2018-02-05_11.31.48.msq
TunerStudio file
(119 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
2018-02-02_14.52.22.zip
Zipped Data Log
(586.41 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: PW1 & PW2 different?

Post by prof315 »

I don't think the ( very small) differences between PW1 and PW2 are all that worrisome, the noisy fuel pump and gradual lean out suggest a possible fuel filter or pump issue.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
Matches
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: PW1 & PW2 different?

Post by Matches »

Very good, thank you