Simpleton ALERT

Use and development of MSDroid tuning software on Android

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Tubbyblade
MS/Extra Newbie

Simpleton ALERT

Post by Tubbyblade »

Hi guys n gals
Got my bike up and running reasonably well (big bore, turbo charged. meth injected, microsquirt, 1999 fireblade) and so far alls well, i've somehow managed to tune it so it runs pretty good but lugging around a Panasonic Toughbook in a rucksack to datalog is playing havoc on me ageing back .............
I purchased the EFI Analytics bluetooth rs232 adaptor and made up a lead to connect to the MS and can get shadow dash to work no problems (bloody amazing this technology) but no matter how much i try i cannot get MSDroid to work
I have been a mechanic 30 odd yrs and if i can't hit it with a hammer and it doesn't work its definitely an electrical fault kinda guy, in other words a complete and utter computer village idiot, i understand i need to put in the "ini" file from the firmware but i'll be honest i don't even know what an ini file is let alone put it in another device so if someone could explain it to me step by step in a simpletons manner i'd be extremely grateful
MS2E 3.3.1 trying to connect to a Sumsung S4 mini and a Nexus 7

Many thanks in advance
Ed :oops:
1999 Honda Fireblade, 997 bore, JE's, Corrilo's, ported head, HRC cams, Micromodule, Ball Bearing turbo, meth/H2O inj and a helluva lot of time and effort
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Simpleton ALERT

Post by ol boy »

You need to go to this thread. http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 36&t=54963
Near the bottom there is the modded INI file for 3.3.1a. You need to download this INI file and put it in your INI folder with in msdriods app location.

The INI file tells the tuning software (tuner studio/msdroid) what tabs and features to display, what is tunable and it memory location with in the flash memory. It also reads the 6 pages of settings data and figures out how to display them. It also does much more then that.

Hope this helps.
306 SBFord, Torquer II EFI intake, 60 lbs injectors, 8 LS2 coils, VS Racing 7668 turbo, 4R70W, MS3x fw1.4 w/built in trans controller.
Tubbyblade
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Tubbyblade »

Done that, can see it in the MSDROID ini file but still will not connect, just says a suitable ini file isn't bundled ???

i get,
A suitable .ini file isn't currently bundled with msdroid for your ecu firmware version

ECU sinature
MS2/extra release 3.3.1 20131206 18:45GMT (c) KC/JSM/JB uS

If i open up the Nexus on my laptop i can see the megasquirt2331a ini in the ini folder .................... i'm confuzzled

Does it make any difference that i have the microsquirt V3 ?
1999 Honda Fireblade, 997 bore, JE's, Corrilo's, ported head, HRC cams, Micromodule, Ball Bearing turbo, meth/H2O inj and a helluva lot of time and effort
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

Worst case you can upgrade to 3.3.2 and use the modded INI file post. Its been used over a dozen time with out any reported issues.

Just saw your using a microsquirt. I might not have done a microsquirt INI for 3.3.1a. Each firmware version/ type has its.own INI file.
306 SBFord, Torquer II EFI intake, 60 lbs injectors, 8 LS2 coils, VS Racing 7668 turbo, 4R70W, MS3x fw1.4 w/built in trans controller.
Tubbyblade
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Tubbyblade »

Thanks for your input OlBoy, i've copied over the ini file for microsquirt and microsquirt module from 3.3.1 firmware but still no joy, could it be the bluetooth baud rate ? just clutching at straws here as i really don't have a clue
Shadow dash connects straight away no problem, but to tune i have to remove my seat unit and plug my laptop back in, fine if i'm at my workshop but a pain in the rear if i'm at home
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

I might have gave you the wrong thread..

Try this one. Near the bottom is the microsquirt INI file. http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 36&t=52648

If this doesn't work give me a call at 520 425 6594. Ryan
Tubbyblade
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Tubbyblade »

Thank you Ryan, no joy there either i'm afraid to say still sits on reading signature before the error of missing ini comes up

I'm in the UK so along with the massive time difference the expense of calling Arizona to sort this out will be horrendous, but thank you for the offer :D
Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Trev16v »

Sorry you're having trouble, and massive thanks to ol boy for helping.

I am currently still finishing off the next new release of MSDroid which will solve these issues. Should be another week. (I know I keep saying that.)
Golf MK2 G60 Syncro with 16VG60 on MSNS-E

MSDroid :: MegaSquirt tuning on Android

Tubbyblade
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Tubbyblade »

Hi Trev, yes I agree massive thanks to olboy for his patience and help with this
I took his advise and went to 3.3.2 firmware, dropped over the INI and bingo both phone and tablet now connect fine
Couple of points though (always a catch)

A) is it possible to raise the clocks limits ie: rpm is 9k my blade has 11k redline ?
B) On my nexus I have no VE table yet my S4 phone does ??

Aside from that its amazing, kept my aged mind amused for hours showing my customers how I can tune my bike with my phone :mrgreen:
Tubbyblade
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Tubbyblade »

Found the nodded INI now have be tables on nexus :yeah!:

Now just the rpm limit to be raised !
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

Good deal. 3.3.0betaish was when the crazyness started with the change in the INI files along with checking which version of TS you had installed on your tuning computer. These changes are what broke how MSDroid looks through all the INI files in the INI folder to find the one that matches your signature. What adds more complexity to the issue is there are 4 unique INI files/signatures for each firmware release. MS2(Daughter Board), MicroSuirt(Cased), MicroSquirt-Module, and MSPNP... I suppose one could make a list of all the known INI files, but in most cases 98% of the time the end user wouldn't know the difference between there own specific INI and all the others within the same firmware.

I've modded a few INI for people several months back to find out I assumed when the term MicroSquirt was tossed about that they meant the module and instead needed the cased version... :roll: So now for the last release, beta and alphas I just mod all 4 INI files and let the end user figure it out.
Tubbyblade
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Tubbyblade »

Told ya I was a simpleton. !
Scrolled down to relevant section on droid and redid the rpm limits :oops:
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

That would be an INI file fix. :lol: I think as you stated it's upper limit is 7.5K or so...

Just to clarify 3.3.2 MicroSquirt Case? I can poke around and see if I can raise the limit.
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

Found it in the INI file. When you change "rpmhigh" it affects every upper rpm limit throughout the INI.

Code: Select all

defaultValue = rpmhigh, 12000
    defaultValue = rpmwarn, 10000
    defaultValue = rpmdang, 9000
    defaultValue = loadhigh, 400
default was 9k, 5k and 3k... I think..
MicroCasedrpmlimit.ini
"MS2Extra comms332mU" MicroSquirt Cased.

**Edit** I R Dumb Grabbed the wrong file..
Tubbyblade
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Tubbyblade »

Thanks Ryan I owe ya a pint or 6 :D