MSDroid beta testing through Google Play - testers please?

Use and development of MSDroid tuning software on Android

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MSDroid beta testing through Google Play - testers pleas

Post by piledriver »

Looking forwards to another beta with the alternate display method for the logs to work around the bug in JB4.3.

Also: The logs seem to be listed in random order.
(not really noticable until you have a bunch)
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Trev16v »

Very happy to say I successfully tested a work-around for the 4.3 issue and will get it into a beta ASAP!
Golf MK2 G60 Syncro with 16VG60 on MSNS-E

MSDroid :: MegaSquirt tuning on Android

AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

two issues:
logs never show up on device. they work on pc, but viewing them on the galaxy s3 shows a blank graph. view with gps seems to work - but without data outside of the map.

other issue: gps doesn't show speed on gauge. I find this odd since position DOES get logged
feature request: add a speed error gauge, in percent.
2000 VVT Miata turbo, MS3Pro

Contact me if interested in a MS-II 2nd gen NB Miata PnP board.
Suprazz
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Suprazz »

I had issues yesterday at the track with MsDroid.

I wanted to play with my launch control parameters. So I change the RPM value and I press burn. After that I press back button to return to the real time main screen and the app crash (black screen and after 10 secons, pop up message that says that the app crashed).

I tried again an other time. Same problem.
So I took out my laptop and I noticed that no values changed at all.

I'm with a ms3 with 1.2.3 and with a galaxy note 2

Thanks!
Best looking and most advanced CAN-bus gauge
Toyota Supra 7MGE, 7M-GTE and 1JZ-GTE Plug and play ECUs: http://www.perfecttuning.net
Serial to Bluetooth or Serial to WiFi
DIYAutotune Canadian, EFI Source and ECUMaster reseller!
AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

I can confirm what he was seeing. I was having major issues getting the phone to connect. Every time I would run it, I would get either a plain black screen or an MSdroid banner with the rest of the screen white. Never saw this before.

Reseting the phone would make it ok, if I ran the program first, then plugged in the cable. Almost like it was not liking the startup screen.

Also, I loaded an msq when I had crappy reception - burned and it totally messed things up! I don't know if it was the burn or the download of the file, but my car was fueling WAY overboard. (typical idle PW are 1.2 ms and these were 4.5). I couldn't start the car, nearly ran battery flat. Since I did this on the road, I spent over an hour in the 100* weather debating getting a tow. Combined with not getting the phone to connect and MSDroid crashing, it was bad news. After countless reboots and starting the program, THEN connecting, I was able to reburn in the same msq and all was well.

If its widespread, perhaps v1.1r should be b. :-) Again, once it worked right, it seems to have continued to work right - but it was a terrible situation to be in. Perhaps there's a way to verify both the download and the burning went well/make sense?

Happy to help how I can to debug it. I think I may have sent one error report - not sure if that had enough info to tell you why the program wouldn't load.

<edit> PS - not bitching about getting stranded. Its the joys of DIY, right? :-)

93white3400z
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 93white3400z »

Outch, sorry about that. Like you're saying, I think you had some sort of Bluetooth noise issues if it finally worked at some point. MSDroid need to be better at handling those noises issues while loading an MSQ. What I'm currently working on right now is stopping at the first error and displaying an error message so you know it happened. This will also avoid messing up the whole tune.
1993 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24
3400 Turbocharged Inter-cooled
MS3 v3.57+MS3X
AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

Certainly a verification step (if it doesn't already) wouldn't hurt.

It was a cabled connection. I mean, the times it wouldn't load at all didn't seem like coms to me.

Either way, keep 'em coming. The only actual complaint is no way to save dashboards - I want to get mine back when I get a bad connection, I lose it each time.

rx7_ben
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rx7_ben »

I don't recall ever having any such issues with v1.1r previously, but here's what I experienced this morning.

I went for a drive and took a datalog, upon reviewing it I noticed there was no throttle position recorded and the Wideband AFR just said NaN and didn't come up in the MSDroid log viewer at all. I thought it may have been something that I had done when I was playing with a previous version of MSDROID (v0.3a4). So I removed all traces of MSDroid and did a fresh installation.

What I noticed was that it seemed to work fine with the exception of not logging AFR until I went into the ECU settings menu and selected Wideband in the oxygen sensor settings. Once I selected this, the TP gauge stopped working and the wideband AFR also would not log, however AFR would show on the gauge on the dashboard.

I messed around with it for an hour this morning just uninstalling, changing settings and it kept doing the same thing. So I have uninstalled it, and gone back to v0.3a4 which seems to be working fine for now.

SGS3 i9305 Android 4.1.1
MS2 V3 running MSextra 3.2.1
EFY analytics RS232 to bluetooth adapter.
AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

Er, I'll preface this with the fact I'd changed phones recently - but I don't THINK I changed anything since the last time it worked.... Recently, every single time I datalog, MSDroid force-quits. I haven't tried it with DropBox off, but I did uncheck and recheck the box, logging into Dropbox to give it permission.

Any ideas? Without logging the program is a LOT less useful.

-------------
Edit: Er, perhaps I don't have an appropriate .ini file? This could be because I updated the firmware in the MS3Pro itself.

AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

Er, anything I can do here? I've had ZERO luck, anytime I hit log (with or without Dropbox set up) MSDroid just crashes. It's kinda useless if I can't log with it.

What do I do?!?

ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

Looks like your on MS3Pro... There might be an issue with the INI to do the data logging part which cause the error.
306 SBFord, Torquer II EFI intake, 60 lbs injectors, 8 LS2 coils, VS Racing 7668 turbo, 4R70W, MS3x fw1.4 w/built in trans controller.
AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

...ok then. So, how do I check for it/fix it? Painting with broad strokes lately and could really use the logging!

Is there an easy way to know which ini it is using? Perhaps I should delete all the "wrong" ones?

ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

Which of the several MS3 codes are you running?
306 SBFord, Torquer II EFI intake, 60 lbs injectors, 8 LS2 coils, VS Racing 7668 turbo, 4R70W, MS3x fw1.4 w/built in trans controller.
AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

That's somewhat hard to tell! I've mentioned it and the powers that be said they'd check into having TS report the firmware you're running in useful numbers, but it hasn't happened yet.

1.3.2 I think is it? The latest stable release which has been on there for a while. The Pro version has it's own ini of course.

AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

Self reports in TS as 435.05P - MS3 release 1.3.1 - date: 20140529

AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

Ok, last post:
I updated firmware on MS to the latest, got the matching .ini from the file itself, I even labeled it (ms3pro.ini -> ms3pro1-3-2a.ini) and it notifies me that's the one it's using. Everything else works, crashes when I log.

It's a Nexus5 running 4.4.2 but the kernal might be something odd, the PO said he put something on it to make it work with x-box controllers, it's listed as 3.4.86-franco.Kernal, build kot49H (all of which I thought was normal).

I guess I'll check it with my nexus 7 next.

It does open a file, I see these open on dropbox. They are completely blank.

AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

Ok, this is the last post:
I uninstalled, reinstalled, ran, killed, ran, killed and ran MSDroid on both the tablet and the phone... and suddenly they said (only after a few cycles) "Fresh Install Detected"....

Now everything works! I even have azimuth on the tablet (does this mean GPS logging might start working?)

So, is this project still going? After weekly updates for a while, it's been like a year or more. It's a shame, it has such great potential, I wish we could donate to the devs instead of to charity. :-\

Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Trev16v »

It's still going. It's still going full throttle in fact, with hours of time going into it per week. The reason for no release in a very long time is entirely my fault. It's due to the way I've worked on it, due to the fact that I've done a massive tear-down and rebuild of the code (for the better, I promise) without doing incremental fixes and support to the V1 code in the meantime. I never expected a full year to pass by in the meantime but sadly that's the way it has gone.

AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

Trevor,
That's awesome to hear. Yes, a year is a long time, especially since there is some low hanging fruit (like dashboards resetting by default and white-on-green text) making the current version hard to use - but it's fantastic to hear such a solid project is moving forward. Excited to see what the future holds! Whenever there is a beta (or alpha?) worth looking at (especially if both can be installed at once to retain functionality) let me know, I'll be happy to do what I can to provide feedback!

Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Trev16v »

Cheers - it's good to have a kick up the rear to get me moving actually! :D I've now placed a new alpha build on Play. If you're opted-in (via the details in Post #1) you should get it within 24h. I'm afraid it was a matter of "right, hell to it, crank out a build" even though there might be some nasties. If there are any nasties I'll get them fixed ASAP.