MSDroid beta testing through Google Play - testers please?

Use and development of MSDroid tuning software on Android

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MSDroid beta testing through Google Play - testers pleas

Post by ol boy »

The logging function does crash the app anymore. The GPS stuff worked back on a5 I believe. I had a log with it working.
306 SBFord, Torquer II EFI intake, 60 lbs injectors, 8 LS2 coils, VS Racing 7668 turbo, 4R70W, MS3x fw1.4 w/built in trans controller.
AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

Dragbug - you get GPS positional logging? (I have *never* had GPS log successfully - though I've had the speedo gauge working at my desk)

I'm starting to suspect it only logs GPS when there's a live GPS gauge displayed. verify, and I will start testing with speed or something showing(though I'm more interested in the vehicle's reported speed than the real speed).

If that's the case, I have a suggestion for Trevor - along with a "log" (Log now?) button, an enable/disable GPS logging button would rock.
2000 VVT Miata turbo, MS3Pro

Contact me if interested in a MS-II 2nd gen NB Miata PnP board.
dragbug
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dragbug »

AbeFM wrote:Dragbug - you get GPS positional logging? (I have *never* had GPS log successfully - though I've had the speedo gauge working at my desk)

Negative, sorry. I have only used the GPS for my speedo. I have not even tried logging in general in MSDroid.

Trevor,

The menus are still not working, specifically the menus under tools. I can unlock and lock calibrations but when I click calibrate thermistor tables, or really any of the menus after unlock, it just keeps showing the last menu I was on. So those menus are pretty useless right now.
1966 Mustang Fastback
302 HO,Trick Flow TW 170 heads, Headers/dumps, MS3
Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Trev16v »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the further feedback. I'm still taking note of everything and working through bits as I can. I've just pushed build 2.1a10 to Play and also placed the .apk at www.msdroid.com/builds/MSDroid_2_1a10.apk if anyone needs to install it manually. The only significant fix in this build is an attempted resolution for the problem of datalogging halting when the application is backgrounded or the screen is off. If this problem has affected you, please let me know if this build makes things better.

Trev
Golf MK2 G60 Syncro with 16VG60 on MSNS-E

MSDroid :: MegaSquirt tuning on Android

AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

Most definately will be checking that out in the next 24 hours. That, and not logging speedo, are the two biggest things for me PERSONALLY not testing. The speedo itself isn't huge, but there's an overall lack of confidence when I don't know what's going on. Do you have any feeling what that might be, what it means?

Will get back on the logging-while-sleeping thing shortly.

Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Trev16v »

Is that the VSS channel? I must admit that is literally the next thing I am going to look at, most likely tomorrow evening.

Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Trev16v »

You've possibly already let me know (and I'll scan the previous posts tomorrow when I'm looking at this; for now I have to get my head on the pillow) but just in case, could you remind me about anything specific to do with the VSS gauge that's not working? I.e. exact MS3 version, specific gauge and output channel you're using and any other relevant settings?

AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

Is anyone else able to confirm that the VSS1 logging works (or does not work) with their MSDroid?
Trev16v wrote:You've possibly already let me know (and I'll scan the previous posts tomorrow when I'm looking at this; for now I have to get my head on the pillow) but just in case, could you remind me about anything specific to do with the VSS gauge that's not working? I.e. exact MS3 version, specific gauge and output channel you're using and any other relevant settings?
I hate to the be guy always showing up with issues, but... I asked where the files are stored - it's coming to a head. I thought I'd try to debug the missing VSS data, and... not only have the logs stopped syncing on DropBox (which might coincide with Alpha 3), I can't find them on the device at all.
Anyway, just to confirm - VSS1 is not logging for some reason. MS3Pro, latest release version. I'm switching to a custom one-off to log some Flex Fuel stuff so I'm not sure I'll be a significant contributor to solving the VSS issue till I'm back on stock firmware - but without GPS, VSS is very helpful for figuring out where things are happening. I can't really figure out why my log ends where it does, but I can say the really truncated log (with the apparent disconnect) picks back up after it reconnects.
That was a good idea, so I looked at my old posts to see, and it seems this started before I went to my one-off-firmware. According to James, the only difference is logging more interum variables about the FF stuff, but more importantly, I was having issues before when I was on the release MS3Pro code.

Tuner Studio DOES record it. I haven't (but will!) check the gauge, I was just looking at the logged data. Still waiting for a10 to push to me. Other than that... I guess I'm using VSS Digital In on "Digital Frequency In 1" pin (they aren't 100% consistent numbering, unfortunately).

AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

Testing Session of alpha10:
Install update. Load program.
Quit program
Reboot phone.
Had GPS speed gauge active. Showing 2 mph. Noise?
First: log, start motor, switch to email, rev motor, switch back, end log.

Take notes. Says "reading signature"
Second: log, blank phone, drive around block. Wake phone, rev motor, end log. (Not reconnecting or anything, just logging after wake)

Take notes:

Ms droid crashed while changing gauge. Accidentally clicked change background, noticed it was determining CPU type or definition file. Reload MSDroid.

Third - add vss1 gauge. Drive around block with screen on. May shut off on own, don't know.
Screen turned off (time out? May have hit button but don't think so).
Turned on, still logging. Turned off with button, turned on when home, was getting CPU type and verifying tune again. (Gps seemed a few percent low on speed. Probably right) Let finish. May have blanked again? Did I stop log here?

Task switch to take notes, back then stopped log. (Reading signature again on return). Came back, banner said 36% of verifying tune, but underneath was getting signature again.

Fourth: log, shut off motor, stop log.
Final thoughts: My left headlight is droopy. Probably not the new alpha version, but if there's anyway you could fix that too, that would rock. :-)

Er, the notes are kinda random, if they don't make sense, let me know, I'll try to explain. Took them as I went along (though not in the middle of a run where I could help it) on the phone in the hopes of remembering what I was doing. Trev, what's a good email for your google so I can share all the logs with you? Just email me offline if you don't want to post it here.

Note: The VSS1 gauge doesn't work either (reports 0) so I guess it's not an issue with logging but rather one with aquisition. And I believe it worked on the 1.x versions (I can check if you'd like). I'm hoping someone else can verify it does/doesn't work with MS3/ms3Pro and maybe that will illuminate things a bit more.

AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

Unrelated to test drive - and sent in an error bug - trying to view the logs (still no GPS??), I pulled one up. Since I didn't have GPS maps nor VSS1, I thought I'd look at GPS speed.

When I did that, I got a white screen and eventually a notice MSDroid stopped. I tried to go in and change it back, every time it kicked me out. Once I was fast enough to see that the settings were still on GPSspeed + VSS for the second chart, but was unable to change them before the crash.
-Abe.

rx7_ben
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rx7_ben »

I just went for a 20 minute drive on a10. GPS speend (kmh) shows on the gauge but still no logging. Aside from that, everything seemed to work smoothly.
AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

Does it log with the screen off?

rx7_ben
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rx7_ben »

I'm not sure, I haven't tested that actually. I'll check tomorrow.
rx7_ben
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rx7_ben »

Yeah a10 logged fine with the screen off. Still no GPS of course.
AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

Just to clarify - the screen was off for more than a minute? What phone, what ms3?

Thanks!

Nigep
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Nigep »

Conflicting stuff with the GPS. Mine logs GPS speed fine now.

I haven`t done anything special either.
Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Trev16v »

Just looking into the GPS logging issue tonight with the intention of fixing the issue, I find that GPS logging is working fine for me too. (Admittedly I'm sat on the sofa in front of the TV so cannot test GPS speed, but the latitude and longitude plus accelerometers are logging okay, so GPS speed surely must also.) What I am wondering is this -- rx7_ben, are you using MS3? If so, is there any chance you're choosing one of the MS3 GPS channels, as opposed to the GPS channels that MSDroid provides?

The log channels for the Android device GPS data and sensors are:

"GPS Speed" (This I admit is mph; perhaps a kph one should be added as well)
"Latitude"
"Longitude"
"GPS State"
"GPS Accuracy"
"GPS Num Sats"
"XAcc"
"YAcc"
"ZAcc"

So essentially you need to use "GPS Speed" (which currently gives mph) as opposed to the GPS channels supplied by the MS3 .ini file (and therefore come from the MS unit itself) which are gps_speed and gps_speed_ms_1 (for reference I'm looking at the .ini for MS3 pre1.4alpha8). I assume you need a GPS CAN module for the MS3 GPS channels to give you data.

If you're not using MS3 and / or you're certainly using "GPS Speed" then I'm stumped at the moment why it would not be logging GPS speed for you assuming you see GPS speed indicated on a gauge. The other thing is to ensure GPS is enabled on the device as MSDroid doesn't (yet) nag you to switch it on.

If this is the reason for GPS not logging for you, then the only action on my part would be to refine the user interface to make it clearer which channels are which to avoid the confusion.

Other news:

- I've fixed a crash associated with the log viewer. I think someone earlier reported a crash when attempting to view certain logs; that's what I've now fixed.

- I've been trying to help Abe with his issue where it seems his device stops logging when the screen goes off. I've a lot of time and effort into this particular problem lately but not sure if it's solved yet. I've done work to minimise the resources held onto by MSDroid while it's logging in the background plus other messures to decrease the chance of the Android OS killing the application.

- Abe's VSS1 issue is fixed.

Probably will be another alpha before Christmas day. I had set Christmas as a target for a full release of V2 but it's not polished enough.

Thanks to all you guys for being supportive and for testing and crash reports.

AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

I've always instinctively looked for "MSDroid GPS Speed", "MSDroid Latitude", etc. Very obvious what it is, where to find it, ava where it came from. No other notices required.

And, as suggested via email - MSDroid GPS Time would be awesome to log, along with setting MS3Pro's internal click from it, perhaps automatically using at setting.

Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Trev16v »

Those suggestions are good. I should also split the log channels into categories similar to how gauge channels are selected.

I'm now promoting 2.1 to beta status and the newest build for test is therefore 2.1b0.

This version is being pushed to Google Play within the next few minutes.

For those who have been unable to opt-in for testing through Google Play, as a very last resort the .apk is available at www.msdroid.com/builds/MSDroid_2_1b0.apk

Prior to this there was a 2.1a11 build but only AbeFM used this as it contained attempts at fixing the VSS1 and USB disconnect problems that he reported.

The latest fixes since 2.1a10 are:

- Problem relating to processing of output channels fixed. This for example affected VSS1.
- Problem with FTDI USB connection being occasionally dropped. This is in fact what was causing Abe's logging to cease at random times (and not I believe to do with the screen power state).
- Optimisations to memory use.
- Fixed log viewer crash.

AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

Huzzah and Hurray!

It's looking really good lately, too,deserving of it's Beta status!