MSDroid beta testing through Google Play - testers please?

Use and development of MSDroid tuning software on Android

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: MSDroid beta testing through Google Play - testers pleas

Post by Trev16v »

Version 2.4r0 which is uploading to Play literally as I type this restores the ability to select multiple cells. Hopefully you should be able to get this update from Play within 24h :)
Golf MK2 G60 Syncro with 16VG60 on MSNS-E

MSDroid :: MegaSquirt tuning on Android

dragbug
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dragbug »

Awesome, thx!
1966 Mustang Fastback
302 HO,Trick Flow TW 170 heads, Headers/dumps, MS3
AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

Are there/will there be saved gauge layouts? I've completely given up any efforts to make a nice user interface since they got deleted 4+ times per week with all the old changes.

I would like to make a set of usable pages for working on specific issues, but I spend more time moving gauges around than driving! A "save layout" option would greatly enhance the usability of the software outside of logging (which is now getting very good).
-Abe.
2000 VVT Miata turbo, MS3Pro

Contact me if interested in a MS-II 2nd gen NB Miata PnP board.
Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Trev16v »

Hi Abe, I'm puzzled about this. On what occasions are your layouts getting deleted? Unlike the old V1, MSDroid will (or should) never delete or reset your dashboards. Each project has its own set of dashboard files and once a project is created, those dashboard files should always retain your layout changes and never be disturbed.

I do plan to add some sort of 'dashboard manager' to allow you to archive dashboard layouts, move them between projects, etc. Before I do that however, it is possible for you to keep a safe copy of your dashboards or move them between projects by using a file manager app to manipulate the contents of a project's /dashboards directory. Does that help?

I'd like to understand more about why your layouts are vanishing because that's a new one.

AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

Probably it is fine then - at least in terms of losing it. I had issues on V1 which are likely no longer representative.

Do the additional pages load the phone significantly? If not, then I can just make as many tabs as I need and flip between them - I have noticed overall is seems to work better but I've been afraid to trust it!
-Abe.

dragbug
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dragbug »

Trev16v wrote:Version 2.4r0 which is uploading to Play literally as I type this restores the ability to select multiple cells. Hopefully you should be able to get this update from Play within 24h :)
I got the update last night and tried selecting multiple cells. That worked well enough but it caused severe lag/freeze when adjusting all of the cells at once. This is a Samsung Galaxy Pad 2 (7") and maybe its a limitation on slower hardware. On that note, is it possible to add more options to adjust the table? I wanted to add 10 to all of the bins selected. Right now I think you can only increase .1 step at a time and that can take a while especially when it freezes/lags.
1966 Mustang Fastback
AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

Heh, I'd mentioned that one. I really think a add/multiply value pair of buttons would be a BIG help - otherwise, you can't really make meaningful edits. I've done "+1" on 15 times, then select a smaller group, and +1 5 more times, then to undo it, you have to remember which squares were which, etc. Big pain.

Thankfully, you can't see AFR's while on that screen so it doesn't really matter. Making great progress, but the table editor needs some way to EFFECTIVELY tweak the tables. Should be relatively high on the priority list, probably one of 5 things that, when added, would make MSDroid feature complete (i.e. the only tuning software you need).

dragbug
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dragbug »

Ya any time I have to make big adjustments, I always run to grab the laptop. The other times I have to grab my laptop is when I need to do tooth logs or composite logs. Also when I need to run the VE analyzer. Those are the only reason for not completely replacing the laptop. Right now the main use MSDroid gets is for dash gauges and minor quick adjustments. But it certainly has come a long way.
1966 Mustang Fastback
AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

I have real trouble trying to set things like idle valve position since I just don't have the resolution to make small changes - and I don't know the number I started on anyway - without any form of numeric feedback, it's hard to take 20.3 and turn it into 20.6 when all I know is I'm above 10 and below 50.

VE analyze, auto-tune, and tooth logging all certainly fall under "advanced" features which would be awesome but are basically also separate modules/processes logically. I'd love to see them but I guess I'm picturing telling a new-to-megasquirt friend "get MSDroid, it's all you'll really need". If there's something it can't do, they'll be coming to me anyways. Viewing logs (with an eye towards tuning) is going to be done on a "real" computer anyway. The only half-way tweak I'd do it having a (floating?) gauge of your choice over the table editors so you can see the effects on RPM, AFR, etc. Alternatively, a live graph (even non-editable) as a gauge so I can tell where on the table I am when XYZ happened so I can go to "tune" and change it.

That's kinda a step above things like basic but fully functional table editing - but it would be awesome.

cwdodson88
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by cwdodson88 »

Hey Trev16,

Can you post the current release in downloadable format for us manual folks?

THANKS!
AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

Trevor!
Recently MSDroid started going unresponsive then freezing any time I start logging. This was on 2.03 and now it continues on 2.04. Already done some reboots, across multiple days. Sent in some crash reports.

Any idea what's going on?

2swe
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 2swe »

Paulusuk wrote:
2swe wrote:
AbeFM wrote: Yes, you can put the .ini in dropbox/Apps/MSDroid/INI_Upload - this works but can be tempermental.

The more direct way is to put it in /MSDroid/INI on your phone - in the main storage directory.
I have tried both ways, i even tried to put the .ini in MSDroid/Projects/Demo, without succes..
Just FYI with the exact same specs as this guy I have the same problem- looks like a trivial bug.

Keep up the excellent development- its appreciated. I'm changing my whole interior because of this project

So it is finaly working, I had to reset the tablet into factory default settings..

1 question : is it possible to raise the dataloging rate? msdroid 1 used to datalog 20 records per second, current version saves 10 records per second.
1978 vw golf gti 16v itb cop full sequential MS2
1992 vw corrado 16v moonlight blue MS2
AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

Trevor!
Oh no! Here comes another blatant demand for something I think is a necessity and you likely think of as a minor feature:

I'd like to EASILY have two way communication with dropbox (or google or whatever). Last night I had ten minutes before heading out to a meeting - pulled up some logs and did some tuning. CurrentTune and my log were sitting there on Dropbox which I've installed just for MSDroid compatibility.

So when I saved my tune and went to load it on the car... UHG! It's not there!

While you're posting current-tune to dropbox, there's no easy way to get it back. "Load tune" only looks in the local directories. So all my time spent tuning was wasted. I end up having to go to Dropbox, find the file, select export, select between a couple directories that Dropbox will allow me to put it in. Load up a file management program. Find where I saved the file. "copy". Navigate to MSDroid. Navigate to "tunes". Save the tune. Load up MSDroid. Wait for it to load. Load tune, find it, and then it loads.

As an aside. I seem to get an error - controller out of range - every time I load a tune. If I do it again, it works, but it is VERY unnerving.

I'd much prefer it if MSDroid would sync tunes with Dropbox, so that if I save a tune in the directory on Dropbox I got it from, it is ready to load into MSDroid.

Basically, support for tuning on my PC while having MSDroid be my sole car connection is what I would like to see.

It's still working, but that's a change which would have massive benefits in the drive/log/tune/repeat approach.
AbeFM wrote:Trevor!
Recently MSDroid started going unresponsive then freezing any time I start logging.?
Thanks for helping out with this! It's been working great since I fixed the issue you pointed out (logging extra fields)

AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

As mentioned before, whenever I load a tune (admittedly, this tune was exported from MSDroid then modded in MegaLogViewer), I get this error:

If I just load tune a second time, it seems to work. I'm not sure where the fault lies, but it might be something to dig into.

Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Trev16v »

Aaah. I've seen that happen myself; I have a tracker open for it. I have kind of left it there open just to see if anyone else experiences the issue. It's a very strange one that I was considering taking up with the firmware developers. I observed exactly the same as you: It only happens on the first attempt to write page 15. Aftwarwards it is fine. The problem only repeats once after cycling the ECU power.

AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

Sums up what I've been seeing.

I guess it would be interesting to see what actually gets written - I've always been so scared pistons would start squirting out the tailpipe like a broken gumball machine I hit "load tune" like four more times and power cycle it twice before doing anything.

2swe
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 2swe »

is it possible to increase the dataloging rate?
msdroid 1 used to datalog 20 records per second, msdroid 2.4 saves only 10 records per second... ECU, tablet and USB-serial everything is the same as before.

thanx for any input.
Last edited by 2swe on Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
1978 vw golf gti 16v itb cop full sequential MS2
1992 vw corrado 16v moonlight blue MS2
AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

I'm getting about 14. I *may* have set this higher in TS then it's working in MSD as well, I dunno - but you could try it.

Also, with bluetooth, it's likely to be slower.

cwdodson88
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by cwdodson88 »

Hey Trev,

Having issues after upgrading from 1.1r to the latest. Unable to get my project to load, not able to get it to read the signature, just hangs. Is there any way to "create" a project? I couldnt see it any where. I tried to just take my TS project and put that in the MSDroid project folder and didn't get anything different.

Volvo 122
MS1 running 029Y extra
Bolutek Bluetooth (working great on 1.1r)
AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

Mentioned via email - perhaps here more insight can be gained:

Trying to program the on/off outputs I get a warning that I shouldn't enable an already in use output... But no other screens. I want to change an output. Any ideas?

Signature 0521.01p.

Also, can't copy/paste from status screen. :-) text select pops up, then goes away about a second after releasing finger.

(I was worried my fans were misprogrammed - and I had a battery issue which left me stranded once. If we could make these edits it would be helpful)