new msdroid user cannot find ecu definition

Use and development of MSDroid tuning software on Android

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

boosteds12
MS/Extra Newbie

new msdroid user cannot find ecu definition

Post by boosteds12 »

Hello, i am unsure as to where i am supposed to look for the ecu definition on my laptop that i usually tune with to make the msdroid be able to read my ecu and connect up. i just downloaded the app so i believe it is up to date and i have read several posts about finding the proper .ini file but alas i am not sure. any and all help would be greatly appreciated as i want to start tuning it with my new tablet rather than my old laptop. oh i am on an ms2 v3 board running a nissan CA18et motor. it currently runs really well but i would like to get better at tuning and its a pain with a short battery life laptop.

Thank you all in advance
boosteds12
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: new msdroid user cannot find ecu definition

Post by boosteds12 »

Ok, so I believe I found the ecu definition in my laptop when i opened tuner studio and went to project properties. it is 333e2, so i transfered that .ini file to my tablet into the ini folder. i then attempted to load the .ini in the project settings tab under can pass through. that didn't seem to work. so i tried to load a project and all it gives me is demo, so i deleted everything in the demo folder and replaced it with all that was in the projects folder in my laptop folder labeled projects just a straight copy and paste. it will then say it is parsing whatever it is parsing and get to 87% then nothing no change. i hook it up to my MS2 v3 via a serial to usb to otg cord and it says reading, after some time it says cannot find ecu definition then asks me to tell whoever so they can add the definition but then doesn't give me any way to do that unless that is what i am doing here? again not sure i am so far self taught with a lot of reading, with several shops un-willing to help out except for generalities. So i guess i am asking if others have this same issue and i should just use the bluetooth adapter that is available from efi analitics direct or if the issue is with the information not being in the correct spot and i just need to get it there and it will work. i have read most every post on the msdroid section and no one has any real clear answer its all put the file here and it works. not very specific at all. thank you all in advance, and i hope to get this figured out soon as i would really like to start using the tablet rather than my big a** laptop.

Jeremy

oh msdroid version is 2.4r1 and i am running MS2 v3 board. if i need to get you more information please let me know, thank you
old guy
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by old guy »

The ecu def file goes in your project folder, not your ini. folder.. I would uninstall MsDroid and reinstall as the file structure is probably messed up from copy and pasting your whole project folder.
boosteds12
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by boosteds12 »

ok thank you, i will try that in just a bit and see how it goes. i appreciate the info.

Jeremy

edit so i tried uninstalling and then reinstalling msdroid. i then copied my 333e2.ini file into projects folder, i restarted msdroid and still nothing, it seams to attempt to read my ecu from the otg cord then says cannot determine ecu definition, and please let them know so they can update the server or something like that. i tried loading anything and all it lets me upload is the "demo" i try and load a tune my current.msq and it gets to about 87% then the yellow bar up top just fades away never getting to 100%. i am curious if i just have a bad cord and i just need to get the bluetooth adapter and use that? i am really getting confused with why it doesn't work.
old guy
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by old guy »

What kind of usb to serial adaptor are you using. The ones with Profilic chips seem to have more problem than the ones with FTDI chips.
Other than that I can't see anything that would prevent it from working.
What kind of tablet are you using.
boosteds12
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by boosteds12 »

So i have an off brand IRULU tablet, as i didn't want to spend big buck till i new it would do what i wanted it to do. i am not sure what type of cable i have as the rs232 to standard usb adapter works fine all day long on my laptop, then when i hook up the female usb to micro usb and plug it in is when i have problems that i can tell. i dont have a bluetooth module in my MS and was hoping to avoid that just because i like the cable system if i can get it to work. i guess i will see if i can find another adapter and or check out the bluetooth modules but again i am unsure if i am even doing/moving files where i need them to be for this to actually work right. all the help has been welcomed i just keep hearing put file a in to folder b and then some one else says file a in to folder c or d and there are no real instructions or guide and i thought that the tablet is actually supposed to download whatever .ini file it needed in the first place and all it says it we can not reach the server to download please let us know but then there is no place to do that except here.

Thank you all for your help so far, and sorry if i am bitching, i am just a bit annoyed.

Jeremy
old guy
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by old guy »

You need to be sure your tablet supports USB host mode. Go to the play store and download USB Host Check by Taurus Labs.
It will check to see if USB host is working on your table and if not, try to fix it.
If your tablet doesn't, it looks like you will have to try bluetooth.
boosteds12
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by boosteds12 »

Yes it does as far as i know as it came with one of those little keyboards and i had been reading a lot of posts before i bought it. the keyboard that came with the tablet has the cord built in so my other cord that is not built in just might not be an otg cord so i will trouble shoot that first then if not going bluetooth is what i will do. oh and i have downloaded the apps and they say it supports otg.

thank you again for the help it has been a great relief.

Jeremy
old guy
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by old guy »

Its easy to check if it is an OTG cable. Pins 4&5 on the micro usb connector should be connected to each other.
ErnieJones
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by ErnieJones »

boosteds12 wrote: edit so i tried uninstalling and then reinstalling msdroid. i then copied my 333e2.ini file into projects folder, i restarted msdroid and still nothing, it seams to attempt to read my ecu from the otg cord then says cannot determine ecu definition, and please let them know so they can update the server or something like that. i tried loading anything and all it lets me upload is the "demo" i try and load a tune my current.msq and it gets to about 87% then the yellow bar up top just fades away never getting to 100%. i am curious if i just have a bad cord and i just need to get the bluetooth adapter and use that? i am really getting confused with why it doesn't work.
Be careful how much time you spend tracking down other things. We installed the app the other day and had the exact same issue. It will not recognize the ECU and then reports that it does not have a definition file and wants to connect to the 'net to find it. The problem seems to be that it cannot determine what firmware/ECU is installed.

When we looked at the URL it was requesting from the 'net we saw that it was this => http://188.65.115.241/ini/getinifile.php?signature=
This seems to confirm that it was not able to determine the ECU signature as it requested nothing.

We spoke to the author and he provided a definition file but we got the same results. We then copied over the definition file from the 3.3.3 firmware for uS module and same thing.

So there seems to be a core issue with it as it won't do diddly unless it knows which ECU is installed. Problem being it cannot determine it. I wonder if it might be related to 'odd' characters in the ECU identification string. You know, the kind that tend to be problematic and the code can't understand them. Here's a screenshot of what it thought our ECU was;
P4110014.JPG
The more I look at it the more I think the issue is just what it says it is, it can't tell what ECU/firmware issue is installed and it's kaffing because of that. In our case we're using Wifi and there are no issues with that aspect of our controller. There also seems to be a bit of discrepancy though with the design of the software in that typically, if the tablet is connected to the ECU via WiFi, then it can't get Internet access to obtain a remote definition file.
Thanks you;
Ernie
boosteds12
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by boosteds12 »

Ernie, thank you for piping up with a similar problem, when mine says it cant find the definition it shows an *

so i am still unsure as to why its doing this. i have checked my cable by plugging it into my HTC 1 and it shows that usb host is on, so i know its an otg cable. i am going to ask a fellow autoxer to see if he uses msdroid and if so if he could help me out. if i get anything to work i will most definately let everyone know.

Thanks all again for all your help.

Jeremy
Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Trev16v »

I'll try to advise the OP shortly, but I just want to respond to this:
ErnieJones wrote:
boosteds12 wrote: edit so i tried uninstalling and then reinstalling msdroid. i then copied my 333e2.ini file into projects folder, i restarted msdroid and still nothing, it seams to attempt to read my ecu from the otg cord then says cannot determine ecu definition, and please let them know so they can update the server or something like that. i tried loading anything and all it lets me upload is the "demo" i try and load a tune my current.msq and it gets to about 87% then the yellow bar up top just fades away never getting to 100%. i am curious if i just have a bad cord and i just need to get the bluetooth adapter and use that? i am really getting confused with why it doesn't work.
Be careful how much time you spend tracking down other things. We installed the app the other day and had the exact same issue. It will not recognize the ECU and then reports that it does not have a definition file and wants to connect to the 'net to find it. The problem seems to be that it cannot determine what firmware/ECU is installed.

When we looked at the URL it was requesting from the 'net we saw that it was this => http://188.65.115.241/ini/getinifile.php?signature=
This seems to confirm that it was not able to determine the ECU signature as it requested nothing.

We spoke to the author and he provided a definition file but we got the same results. We then copied over the definition file from the 3.3.3 firmware for uS module and same thing.

So there seems to be a core issue with it as it won't do diddly unless it knows which ECU is installed. Problem being it cannot determine it. I wonder if it might be related to 'odd' characters in the ECU identification string. You know, the kind that tend to be problematic and the code can't understand them. Here's a screenshot of what it thought our ECU was;
P4110014.JPG
The more I look at it the more I think the issue is just what it says it is, it can't tell what ECU/firmware issue is installed and it's kaffing because of that. In our case we're using Wifi and there are no issues with that aspect of our controller. There also seems to be a bit of discrepancy though with the design of the software in that typically, if the tablet is connected to the ECU via WiFi, then it can't get Internet access to obtain a remote definition file.

As we eventually determined in the emails between me and Marvin Miller (your business partner I assume - please correct me if wrong) the problem is quite specific in that it is a bug with MSDroid's support for your particular WiFi interface, so is unlikely to relate to the problem area the OP has. Unfortunately I have reached a dead end in trying to fix this issue for you because of refusal to share any information with me regarding your manufacturer and model of WiFi interface, or provide me with any detailed serial logs. This I understand is because you want to protect IP relating to a product under development. However I'd be grateful if you would reciprocate by not posting in public your findings from reverse-engineering my software's server API.
Last edited by Trev16v on Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golf MK2 G60 Syncro with 16VG60 on MSNS-E

MSDroid :: MegaSquirt tuning on Android

Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Trev16v »

boosteds12 wrote:Hello, i am unsure as to where i am supposed to look for the ecu definition on my laptop that i usually tune with to make the msdroid be able to read my ecu and connect up. i just downloaded the app so i believe it is up to date and i have read several posts about finding the proper .ini file but alas i am not sure. any and all help would be greatly appreciated as i want to start tuning it with my new tablet rather than my old laptop. oh i am on an ms2 v3 board running a nissan CA18et motor. it currently runs really well but i would like to get better at tuning and its a pain with a short battery life laptop.

Thank you all in advance
The first step is to determine what signature (if any) MSDroid is reading from your ECU. Could you please post up a screenshot of the dialogue it shows when it warns you it cannot obtain a definition file?

As well as a screenshot of that, it would be good if you could please let me have your debug_log.txt.

We first need to determine if this is a comms issue (so no valid signature is actually being read), or if it's a matter of comms being good but the MSDroid server simply not having the right file for your ECU.

The normal flow of things is that you should never need to do any manual manipulation of files yourself. MSDroid should determine the ECU type, pull the correct defintion file from the server, and set up the project for you and you're set to go.

boosteds12
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by boosteds12 »

So i have been able to get my tablet to work with my megasquirt. i finally got my bluetooth units and got them setup very nicely and they worked after i made sure i was in a wifi zone when connecting and then it was able to download an ecu definition. thank you all for the help and guidance.
onefast50
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by onefast50 »

I'm having the same error message but it finds my ECU.

sirash23
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by sirash23 »

i'm having the same issue too
error message
" could not locate a suitable definition file on the server or locally for your ECU.
please notify us so we can add it.
ECU signature: 'MS2Extra comms340t2'
"
lutorm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by lutorm »

I got by the missing definitions file by emailing myself the .ini file from the firmware to the phone and putting it in the MSdroid folder on the SD card and then it found it fine.
Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Trev16v »

The server has now been updated for the latest MS firmware releases, so manual copying of the .ini file should no longer be necessary.

I was a bit slow to update the server, sorry!

wewerica
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by wewerica »

I have an issue on my msdroid.
This is log file output.

04/26/16 20:56:03.840 /// Service start ///
04/26/16 20:56:03.941 Pager onSizeChanged 1080 1731 0 0
04/26/16 20:56:03.941 applyDisplayScale: 1080 1731, chosen scale: 1.5
04/26/16 20:56:30.752 Dashboard page freeing resources
04/26/16 20:56:41.063 Sending signature query command: Q
04/26/16 20:56:42.065 Response to signature query command: MS2Extra comms340vM
04/26/16 20:56:42.066 Signature bytes: 4d 53 32 45 78 74 72 61 20 63 6f 6d 6d 73 33 34 30 76 4d 00
04/26/16 20:56:42.067 MS2Extra comms340vM accepted as valid MS signature.
04/26/16 20:56:42.157 PENDING_PROJECT
04/26/16 20:56:42.225 Trying to find project for signature: MS2Extra comms340vM
04/26/16 20:56:42.232 ...didn't find a matching project
04/26/16 20:57:39.980 Dashboard page freeing resources
04/26/16 20:57:41.025 /// Service stop ///

Can anyone help. Thanks
Vate
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Vate »

I know this is an old post, but I finally found the answer to this problem...
You need to go into the Android device settings, select "Apps (or Applications), select "MSDroid" then App info", scroll down and allow "Install Apps From Unknown Sources" ... and then it will work fine!