MSDroid - another fool cant work out .ini issues...

Use and development of MSDroid tuning software on Android

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

bobtooke
Helpful MS/Extra'er

MSDroid - another fool cant work out .ini issues...

Post by bobtooke »

Anyone know why I can't get MSDroid to work.
It connects OK but says there's no correct firmware definition file.
I've checked the folder and the packaged 029y ini file is there and not corrupted.
I even tried deleting all files and re-installing the app.
Any ideas where I should be looking next?
Msextra MS1 V2.2 c/w EDIS running firmware 029y4
Are you sure thats big enough to sit in?
MG Midget 1500 EFI 5 speed
Running MSExtra 029y4 on MS1 V2.2
93white3400z
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: MSDroid - another fool cant work out .ini issues...

Post by 93white3400z »

I'm really clueless man... I was gonna say there was a bug in previous version where ini wasn't picked up but restarting app should have been enough to make it work...

Are you running 0.3a1 ?
1993 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24
3400 Turbocharged Inter-cooled
MS3 v3.57+MS3X
bobtooke
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by bobtooke »

Yup thats the version I've got - the latest version according to Google Play.
Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Trev16v »

Hi bobtooke,
Sorry you're having this issue. Just a few things:

- What is your phone / device?
- hopefully, there should be a file in msdroid/debuglog. If there is, could you please email it to us.
- when you've connected and it is giving you the error, please then go to the Status Page and report what it says against the signature (emailing a screenshot would also be fine).

Regards
Trev
Golf MK2 G60 Syncro with 16VG60 on MSNS-E

MSDroid :: MegaSquirt tuning on Android

TurboCamaro
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TurboCamaro »

This might not be a helpful post but maybe in the least it will be encouraging.
I'm running the same setup as you and mine works fine with what the app offers:
MS1, V2.2 PCB
MSnS-Extra 029y4
-I'm running HEI 7-pin ignition but that shouldn't make a difference. Also running a Innovate wideband programed for 0-5v/10-20AFR.
Running Android V 4.2.1(Jelly Bean) on a Google Nexus 7 tablet with a cheap $10 bluetooth module from eBay(shipped from China).

Have you tried Shadow Dash just to make sure it's not your comms on the MS end of things?
-Wayne

1994 3.4L V6 Camaro 5 spd.
Custom Turbocharged/Intercooled
bobtooke
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by bobtooke »

Ok here goes...

I'm using a Samsung Tab2 10" P5110 running Android 4.1.1

Com port on the MS is working fine as I can connect with Tunerstudio perfectly.

It seems to connect OK but not able to recognise the firmware I think.

Error mesage I get is "connected but no firmware definition file found (INI)" in top left of screen.

I checked and there is a msns-extra029y.ini file - presume this to be the correct file?

Is there any way to set the ini file manually?

Debuglog attached.

Screenshot attached.
Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Trev16v »

I think a first problem is that MSDroid is giving a misleading error message, so we need to fix that. It's misleading in the sense that it's saying that no definition file (.ini) is available, when in fact what's really happening is that it's not getting any signature string from the ECU at all. This would point to the Bluetooth interface you have not being configured correctly, either in terms of baud rate, or selection of DTE/DCE. So what this means is that the Bluetooth connection works, but no serial communication happens with the ECU itself. Lights on, nobody home kind of thing! :D

Does your Bluetooth interface work okay if you use it to connect with Tunerstudio from your laptop using Bluetooth?

bobtooke
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by bobtooke »

Hi Trev,
Thanks for the help, much appreciated.
Trev16v wrote:Lights on, nobody home kind of thing! :D
Sounds like my understanding of bluetooth.
Trev16v wrote:Does your Bluetooth interface work okay if you use it to connect with Tunerstudio from your laptop using Bluetooth?
Yes, it seems to connect ok - I can get a response, gauges respond ok. I'm using it with a stim at the moment.

How would I go about setting baud rate etc in Android or at the BT interface? (I told you there was no-one home).
It's one of these miniature encapsulated BT module boards.

Bob
TurboCamaro
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TurboCamaro »

Is it one of these modules?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261053366958?ss ... 1423.l2649

That is the one I'm running and when used with MS-1 I didn't have to change the baud rate at all. It comes set to 9600 which is what MS-1 needs.

However with these units to my knowledge they won't work directly connected to the RS-232 level serial port on the side of the MS. What I did was removed the MSX232 chip, put a socket in it's place and then jumpered over the +5v, ground, and Tx, and Rx signals over to route them directly to the DB-9 connector and connected that to the Bluetooth module through a cable I made up. I also revesed the Tx/Rx lines between the MS and BT module. So Tx on the MS goes to Rx on the module, and Rx on the MS goes to Tx on the module.

But you said you're getting gauges responding through TunerStudio when using Bluetooth to connect?
-Wayne

1994 3.4L V6 Camaro 5 spd.
Custom Turbocharged/Intercooled
Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Trev16v »

Ah - so if your laptop and Tunerstudio is connecting successfully via Bluetooth, then that indicates your Bluetooth interface is configured correctly in terms of baud rate. Technically there is nothing more you should need to do; this should work.

Total long shot, but has the Samsung tablet been restarted?

Shame you're not a bit closer to Oxfordshire as I could have had a nose at it personally if you got really stuck.

EDIT: Actually, from the log there is something odd I've noticed. Let me look into this.
Last edited by Trev16v on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scudderfish
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by scudderfish »

If you've got TunerStudio connecting to your MS over the BT link then the BT module is set up correctly as regards to baud rate, DTE/DCE etc. My BT adapter can sometimes confuse my MS1 because when it connects, it vomits data into the MS saying that a connection has been made. The MS gets its knickers in a twist at this unexpected data, and doesn't respond correctly to the signature request for a few times. MSLogger used to bang away until it got something sensible out of it. I haven't looked at MSDroid yet in this regard, but I have noticed it take some time at times to identify it. I'm running the same firmware as you on my MS1 so I can confirm it can work :)
MSDroid More than just a dashboard.

Do you like the application? Make a donation to Cancer Research UK on our behalf http://www.justgiving.com/MSDroid/
bobtooke
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by bobtooke »

Well, it will have to wait until tomorrow now. My stim battery has gone dead. It seems to eat batteries!
If its of any interest, I tried my USB TO RS232 in the Tab2 and connected that to my Megasquirt.
MSDroid seems to recognise the COM port as COM20 and connects but exactly the same symptoms.
Is this relevant?
scudderfish
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by scudderfish »

It eats batteries as it's powering the stim, the MS and the BT module. I run mine off a mains adapter now, I went through my large collection of fat plugs until I found one that fitted the socket and put out circa 12v. I can leave it running for days now :)
MSDroid More than just a dashboard.

Do you like the application? Make a donation to Cancer Research UK on our behalf http://www.justgiving.com/MSDroid/
bobtooke
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by bobtooke »

OK I fear I may have given you a duff steer in this one... :?

I've now got my MS stim working from a 12V transformer from an old router and it seems to be working it fine - no panic over batteries dying now.

So, I've been experimenting with my laptop today and realised that TunerStudio does NOT work as it should over this bluetooth module.
It starts up and appears as though it's connecting but isn't! Removing the BT module and plugging the USB/serial connector back in springs it to life (obviously changing the port number in TS too).

It looks as though its a comms issue between the serial DB9 and the BT module.
I've tried connecting up the BT module to my serial lead to check/setup the baud rate etc but can't even get that to respond either.
It's one of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121010912801
Any idea how do I get it to talk to me?
I note from the previous posts that turbocamaro has something similar. Does this mean I will have to do some jiggery-pokery in the ECU to get it to talk?
Anyone else got this type of unit and got it working?
Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Trev16v »

Ah! Cool, no worries :D

I've used plenty of those Bluetooth interfaces. They're very popular. The issue with those however is that the Rx / Tx lines are TTL as opposed to RS232 levels. This means that not only do they work at 0V / 3.3V, they're also inverted with respect to true RS232 levels. What needs to be done in order to use this interface is to connect it inside the ECU *before* the MAX232 IC (The MAX232 and its derivatives are basically RS232 to logic level converters).

I could sketch up a diagram to show what needs to be done; however, I think that there are already plenty of diagrams floating around to show exactly how to install one of these inside the MS unit. Anyone?

The other issue coming to think of it is that these also need to be configured for baud rate, which is going to be tricky, *unless* it's already correct. The default is 9600, which happily is correct for MS1.

(BTW, technically the Rx / Tx lines on these should be used via a 3.3V / 5V level shifter, but they're cheap enough to take the risk with and not to care.)

bobtooke
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by bobtooke »

OK thanks Trev, sorry for the misleading info. It seems I have to get inside the ECU and get it to talk in TTL then.
The only problem is that I don't want to lose my serial port in the process.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Trev16v »

The serial port could be retained by installing a switch to toggle between the Rx lines from the MAX232 and Bluetooth interface to the MS internal Rx line.

You may find it easier to just get one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth-Ser ... 3a7d9a79b3

Only total bugger is he seems to have put the price up on those. It needs configuring for baud rate as I think the default is 19,200.

Possibly slightly cheaper here actually:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth-to- ... 337f939bc7

And they provide configuration software. Though you'll need a PC with an RS232 interface (which of course you already have for Tunerstudio) to use this configuration software though. If a licence key for that configuration software is supplied with the deal then I'd go with that second one.

bobtooke
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by bobtooke »

That's probably the most sensible option and the most efficient.
I quite like the idea of an inbuilt BT link though.
I'm gonna sit on this for a bit and ponder the options.
I'm considering building a little RS232 circuit using a max232 chip.

Thanks for all the help Trev & all.

You'll be pleased to hear I'll be back to hound you on this one at a later date ;)
bobtooke
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by bobtooke »

Just a quick update. Got it working... Yayy :yeah!:

I got myself a Max3232 chip and with a couple of caps mounted it all inside a db9 serial case to make up a TTL/RS232 converter.
First time I ran MSDroid, bingo! It connected up and all the gauges sprang to life.
The whole thing now works perfectly - connects to both my laptop for TunerStudio and to my Galaxy Tab2 for MSDroid.
What a great app! Now I've seen it running I can see its going to be so useful. Congrats on a great addition to the MS range.
Thanks to everyone, for the patience advising a numpty.

Interestingly my iphone refuses to connect but I'm not fussed as I don't intend to use this in anger (screen too small).

It has a small issue in MSDroid though.
I can connect and see the gauges ok but if I try to view the engine constants or fuel table/spark table it stalls and disconnects.
Any ideas what this can be?
93white3400z
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 93white3400z »

There was a crash on MS1 for VE/spark table so that could be what you're seeing. This has been fixed. By disconnecting, do you mean crash... like the app just disappear from the screen ?

And don't worry, the new version is coming really soon :)
1993 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24
3400 Turbocharged Inter-cooled
MS3 v3.57+MS3X