USB comm problem

Use and development of MSDroid tuning software on Android

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

USB comm problem

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I'm trying to connect with the USB port on my Nexus 7 and I can't establish to communication. I have tried with the JimStim and the IOx because I have an FTDI adapter for each one (external for the JimStim and on-board for the IOx). The JimStim ini is already in the ini directory and I've added the IOx ini.

The error I get seems to show that it's trying to connect using the Bluetooth interface even though it's disabled and the USB is shown as connected on the status page. I have also tested that the communications work using a terminal app which shows me the correct response from either the JimStim or the IOx when I enter the 'Q' query.

Is there something I need to do to make MSDroid use the USB port? I'm using 0.3a3.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
old guy
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: USB comm problem

Post by old guy »

Jean

When I open MSDroid I get a message asking if I want to allow the app to use usb. I check ok and it doesn't connect.
If I click on disconnect from ecu and then click on connect to ecu it comes up with the allow usb message again. I click on ok and then it connects. After the initial connection I can close MSDriod and it will connect without any message or having to go through the disconnect, connect drill.
A couple of questions.
Are you rooted?
Are you using the Timur battery charging kernel?
Are you using an OTG cable?
I checked and mine will connect even with bluetooth turned on.
Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Trev16v »

Quite a lot has been done with the USB support, including a few fixes and adding support for Prolific. Hopefully this will be resolved for you once 0.3a4 comes out.
Golf MK2 G60 Syncro with 16VG60 on MSNS-E

MSDroid :: MegaSquirt tuning on Android

93white3400z
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 93white3400z »

Trev16v wrote:Quite a lot has been done with the USB support, including a few fixes and adding support for Prolific. Hopefully this will be resolved for you once 0.3a4 comes out.
Trev, correct me if I'm wrong but I think that 0.3a3 was connecting to signature that start with "MS" only. Anything else was getting discarded. I think this is fixed in 0.3a4 ?!

Also, as Trev said, USB support has been improved a lot. For example, when you connect an FTDI or Prolific device that MSDroid support, MSDroid will be launched right away and try to connect to the device.
1993 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24
3400 Turbocharged Inter-cooled
MS3 v3.57+MS3X
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

No, I'm not rooted. I wanted to see if I was able to connect before doing that. And I'm not sure it is an OTG cable; it's a male micro to a female 'A' cable. And as mentioned, it does work with a terminal app so I assume that should be adequate.

I'll see how it goes with the next MSDroid version but I might need to change the kernel anyway. I also don't know if that is intended or not but with the USB cable connected, MSDroid was not able to connect with the Bluetooth interface.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

93white3400z wrote:Trev, correct me if I'm wrong but I think that 0.3a3 was connecting to signature that start with "MS" only. Anything else was getting discarded. I think this is fixed in 0.3a4 ?!
That would indeed make connecting to the JimStim or the IOx a problem.

Jean
93white3400z
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 93white3400z »

Just looked at the commits after 0.3a3 and indeed... not having "MS" at the beginning of the signature shouldn't be a problem anymore. :)
MS3 v3.57+MS3X
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

93white3400z wrote:Just looked at the commits after 0.3a3 and indeed... not having "MS" at the beginning of the signature shouldn't be a problem anymore. :)
Tu veux dire que c'est un problème avec 0.3a3 et que c'est réglé avec 0.3a4 ou que ça devrait être réglé avec a3?
93white3400z
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 93white3400z »

racingmini_mtl wrote:
93white3400z wrote:Just looked at the commits after 0.3a3 and indeed... not having "MS" at the beginning of the signature shouldn't be a problem anymore. :)
Tu veux dire que c'est un problème avec 0.3a3 et que c'est réglé avec 0.3a4 ou que ça devrait être réglé avec a3?
C'est reglé avec 0.3a4. Désolé, j'avoue que ce n'était pas très clair :)
MS3 v3.57+MS3X
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Merci :)