micro usb to rs232 cable

Use and development of MSDroid tuning software on Android

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

chango de naranjito
Master MS/Extra'er

micro usb to rs232 cable

Post by chango de naranjito »

Hi, does anyone knows if this cable works with msdroid? http://www.ebay.com/itm/StarTech-com-Mi ... 19fcc69315

If not,can some tell me what cable works perfect without problems? thanks Frank
Frank Racing,Naranjito Puerto Rico,installations and tuning solutions
FrankRacing.Naranjito@gmail.com
old guy
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: micro usb to rs232 cable

Post by old guy »

What kind of tablet.If your tablet does not support OTG+usb charging it will probably only work as an OTG to serial adaptor, but not charge the battery.
If it was not so expensive it would be worth a shot giving it a try. You can by a OTG to serial adaptor for about I/4 the cost of that one.
Also you don't necessarily need one with a mini usb plug. Just get a mini usb to OTG adaptor for a couple of bucks on E-Bay and you can use a standard usb connector.
I know in Shadowdash, Phil is working on usb to OTG charging,but I don't know about MsDroid.
In the product description it states that the cable Will work with a Nexus 7, but as far as I know the only way you can get OTG+ charging on a Nexus7 is with a custom ROM or kernel, which are few and far between.
I would e-mail the seller and confirm that it definitely supports charging on your tablet.
chango de naranjito
Master MS/Extra'er

old guy wrote:What kind of tablet.If your tablet does not support OTG+usb charging it will probably only work as an OTG to serial adaptor, but not charge the battery.
If it was not so expensive it would be worth a shot giving it a try. You can by a OTG to serial adaptor for about I/4 the cost of that one.
Also you don't necessarily need one with a mini usb plug. Just get a mini usb to OTG adaptor for a couple of bucks on E-Bay and you can use a standard usb connector.
I know in Shadowdash, Phil is working on usb to OTG charging,but I don't know about MsDroid.
In the product description it states that the cable Will work with a Nexus 7, but as far as I know the only way you can get OTG+ charging on a Nexus7 is with a custom ROM or kernel, which are few and far between.
I would e-mail the seller and confirm that it definitely supports charging on your tablet.
Thanks old guy!!, Im not really interested in charging while tuning,I want to use msdroid to make small changes with my phone and not have to take out the laptop to make a small change in the tune
old guy
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by old guy »

If you don't need charging, just go to E-Bay and get an adaptor with an FTDI chipset like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOKO-USB-to-Ser ... 5b07b9b999
It is better to use one like this and use a serial cable for your extension, because a serial cable is more immune to noise than a USB one.
You will also need an OTG adaptor like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-4-5-inch- ... 51cd356ffd
If your OTG doesn't want to work, go to the play store and download USB Host Check by Taurus Labs.
This will check to see if OTG is enabled on your tablet and on some models will enable it if it's not.
You have to be rooted for this program to work
chango de naranjito
Master MS/Extra'er

old guy wrote:If you don't need charging, just go to E-Bay and get an adaptor with an FTDI chipset like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOKO-USB-to-Ser ... 5b07b9b999
It is better to use one like this and use a serial cable for your extension, because a serial cable is more immune to noise than a USB one.
You will also need an OTG adaptor like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-4-5-inch- ... 51cd356ffd
If your OTG doesn't want to work, go to the play store and download USB Host Check by Taurus Labs.
This will check to see if OTG is enabled on your tablet and on some models will enable it if it's not.
You have to be rooted for this program to work
I got the same serial adaptor from diyautotune, http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/usb- ... -p-67.html

can I use that one? and the micro usb adapter can be purchased from best buy? here is a store nearby but do not know if that otg stuff is a special cable just for that or a usb to micro usb adapter.

thanks!!
old guy
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by old guy »

It has to be an OTG adaptor. A mini usb to standard usb will not work.
Actually, you can make an OTG cable from a regular usb mini to standard usb adaptor if you can't find one locally. Pretty easy.
Just Google diy OTG. The adaptor from DIY should be fine.
Just a note. Someone might try to sell you an OTG Y cable. You don't need one of those unless you are trying to use OTG+charging.

Hope this helps.
chango de naranjito
Master MS/Extra'er

old guy wrote:It has to be an OTG adaptor. A mini usb to standard usb will not work.
Actually, you can make an OTG cable from a regular usb mini to standard usb adaptor if you can't find one locally. Pretty easy.
Just Google diy OTG. The adaptor from DIY should be fine.
Just a note. Someone might try to sell you an OTG Y cable. You don't need one of those unless you are trying to use OTG+charging.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for your help!!!!