Hidden indicators - Feature suggestion

Use and development of MSDroid tuning software on Android

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Hidden indicators - Feature suggestion

Post by AbeFM »

There are a number of error states which aren't worth screen real estate when not in them but very useful to know when they are.

For instance, I had swapped my cam position sensor. It didn't have the resolution to see the marks but the crank wheel was decoding. The engine was "half synced" and I didn't know. Everything was being batch fired, so my "fully sequential" wasn't happening.

Worst still, my VVT got an out of bounds number so it wasn't controlling. End result was the car was way down on power and I didn't know why.

Yes, I could make a half sync button, a not sync button, a button for afr out of range, etc... And it'll end up looking like tuner studio with half the screen using indicators that never matter.

I wasn't a screen of indicators that only lights up (and has the normal dashboard behind it) when a value is out of defined bounds, etc. Perhaps a light that takes you to another screen, I don't know. But like "engine code != 0, 3, or 5" might be useful.

How does that sound?
2000 VVT Miata turbo, MS3Pro

Contact me if interested in a MS-II 2nd gen NB Miata PnP board.
Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Hidden indicators - Feature suggestion

Post by Trev16v »

As an initial solution, perhaps what is needed is a page that simply shows the states of all indicators in a grid form? Therefore you can define your dashboards using just the indicators you usually want to see, but at any point you could jump to an "indicator summary" which would be a grid of all of them. Could that work?
Golf MK2 G60 Syncro with 16VG60 on MSNS-E

MSDroid :: MegaSquirt tuning on Android

AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

Perhaps, yes - just a grid, but then that screen could pop to the front when needed? Or just a straight up warning light? Especially if that could show up on the lock screen, or make the phone turn on. Perhaps more trouble that it's worth. Anyway, I was imagining this grid, but they would only show up when they are active?

richyvrlimited
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by richyvrlimited »

Slight Segway, but Abe, why don't you configure the CEL to light up when sync fails?
2003 MX5. Coldside MP62
-
MS3, RTC, & Knock board, Release 1.2. LC-1 Wideband.
AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

I probably should. I only have a few warning lights, they've all been set to track various emergent/immediate problems. Low battery and knock and flex fuel stuff.

The point is, due to small screen (and, a mega log viewer shows, even with a huge one) you can't fit *everything* all the time, but there's plenty to show that everything is fine. :-)

I guess it would be like a check engine light, but it would also tell you what caused it - check engine and the variable out of range and it's its , at minimum.

This should go on main dashboard but also on lock screen out some pop up, ideally. Probably with a dismiss in case it's something you're living with.