Loading on startup

Use and development of MSDroid tuning software on Android

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Loading on startup

Post by WillExoIX »

I'm sure there is, but when it comes to .ini files and such im not too familiar but know how to modify them.

When my android 4.4 head unit boots, first thing msdroid asks is for the project every time. Every time I select the same project. Also MSdroid starts a demo project right off the bat, instead of just loading mine.

Any way to go straight into my project and skip the "demo" screen?

Its connected via USB to my MS2e. Set to automatically connect to the ecu but I still get the demo and project screen every time its started.

Im assuming I have to point MSdroid to open my project via an .ini file or such or am I missing something else here?
Megasquirt 2 V3.0 Running Msextra 3.4.2. in a 1989 Camaro RS .48AR/60mm Turbo 3.4L/700R4
Boost control, Fan control, Stepper IAC, Launch/Antilag, Working on the GMDIS, and Methanol injection
Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Loading on startup

Post by Trev16v »

MSDroid's behaviour is to always load the last used project, meaning it should go straight to your project on start-up. The 'demo' project just exists for new users to explore the application when no ECU connection has yet been made. The demo project is something you'd normally never see again once you've connected to an ECU and made a 'real' project, unless you explicitly asked MSDroid to load the demo project.

Therefore it seems that on your device, for some bizarre reason, MSDroid's preferences are being lost, although the projects on 'disk' are remaining intact (meaning you can still manually load your project). Out of interest, as well as the demo project loading each time, do you also get the change history dialogue and the "Demo project has been created..." dialogue each time?

Could you please send me the contents of /msdroid/debug_log/debuglog.txt?

Trev
Golf MK2 G60 Syncro with 16VG60 on MSNS-E

MSDroid :: MegaSquirt tuning on Android

WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

Trev16v wrote:MSDroid's behaviour is to always load the last used project, meaning it should go straight to your project on start-up. The 'demo' project just exists for new users to explore the application when no ECU connection has yet been made. The demo project is something you'd normally never see again once you've connected to an ECU and made a 'real' project, unless you explicitly asked MSDroid to load the demo project.

Therefore it seems that on your device, for some bizarre reason, MSDroid's preferences are being lost, although the projects on 'disk' are remaining intact (meaning you can still manually load your project). Out of interest, as well as the demo project loading each time, do you also get the change history dialogue and the "Demo project has been created..." dialogue each time?

Could you please send me the contents of /msdroid/debug_log/debuglog.txt?

Trev
Will do, and actually yes I get the "Demo project has been created" every time it boots.

The Android head unit is connected to constant power and switched power as its supposed to. I have the unit set to stand by for about an hour after key off for instant boot if I get gas, go in the store, etc...

Another thing I have noticed, sometimes when I turn the key back on and bring it out of standby, MSdroid will hang on the green and orange arrows while attempting to reconnect to the MS2e. But for the most part when I turn the key back on, MSdroid will come right up and connect to the ecu.

Though any time the unit does a complete cold boot, MSdroid creates the demo project and asks me to choose a project. The project is always there, I just have to select it everytime.

When I go on lunch I'll DL tapatalk and upload that file. Be around 4pm EST.

Thanks
Will
Megasquirt 2 V3.0 Running Msextra 3.4.2. in a 1989 Camaro RS .48AR/60mm Turbo 3.4L/700R4
Boost control, Fan control, Stepper IAC, Launch/Antilag, Working on the GMDIS, and Methanol injection
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

I dont get the "change history" dialogue, just the demo dialogue to clarify.
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

Well I forgot my tapatalk password and its not sending the reset email, so ill upload it soon.
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

PM me you're email, I cant upload it to tapatalk as a txt file on the phone.
Map63Vette
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Map63Vette »

Out of curiosity, do you know if it's actually a native Android OS or one that is emulated through another frontend? I only ask because I was looking at a similar setup at one time, but a lot of the "Android" radios actually ran something like Windows CE that you had to launch Android within, so it was more like running an emulator of Android within a Windows environment like a dev might do to develop code. I'd imagine that could possibly cause some weird loading issues.
1967 Dart 5.7 Hemi swap running MS2/Extra
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

Map63Vette wrote:Out of curiosity, do you know if it's actually a native Android OS or one that is emulated through another frontend? I only ask because I was looking at a similar setup at one time, but a lot of the "Android" radios actually ran something like Windows CE that you had to launch Android within, so it was more like running an emulator of Android within a Windows environment like a dev might do to develop code. I'd imagine that could possibly cause some weird loading issues.

Ive done the research and its nothing even close to that POS winCE/android unit. This is a straight up full Android 4.4 kitkat with an MCU built in. Its unmolested, full on android sexyness.

Its an MCU and Android hardware running together. The MCU handles radio, backup cam, AVin, etc. But I never have to go and choose Android. Android is tha native OS and the MCU just handles the stuff like amplifier and the things android cant or wont do.

Sometimes when booting it wont ask for a project, but thats like 1 out of 10 cold boots.
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

Still nothing? Trev I can pull whatever info you need to figure this out.

At this point it seems to lock up msdroid on boot now 60% of the time and ill have to force close it.
Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Trev16v »

Ah. Can you send me the /debug_log/debuglog.txt to msdroidapp@gmail.com please?

Just had a thought. If it is not showing you the change history on each start-up then that seems to suggest the SharedPreferences are intact, and the issue is down to the file system that MSDroid creates on the external storage. (BTW, 'external' storage may actually be internal.) If you use a File Manager type application, can you see the MSDroid directory on there? If so, what projects do you see within the Projects subdirectory?
Golf MK2 G60 Syncro with 16VG60 on MSNS-E

MSDroid :: MegaSquirt tuning on Android

WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

Trev16v wrote:Ah. Can you send me the /debug_log/debuglog.txt to msdroidapp@gmail.com please?

Just had a thought. If it is not showing you the change history on each start-up then that seems to suggest the SharedPreferences are intact, and the issue is down to the file system that MSDroid creates on the external storage. (BTW, 'external' storage may actually be internal.) If you use a File Manager type application, can you see the MSDroid directory on there? If so, what projects do you see within the Projects subdirectory?
Whatever you guys did in the last update fixed the issue on my head unit. Works flawless now, thanks!

If I run into it again ill update.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
mike_tosen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mike_tosen »

WillExoIX wrote: Whatever you guys did in the last update fixed the issue on my head unit. Works flawless now, thanks!

If I run into it again ill update.

Hi,

Mind sharing the make and model of this radio unit ?
Maybe a link to where you bought it ?

Have you tried BT to connect to MS ?
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

Its a Joying branded unit, and I have not tried bluetooth as this unit does not have native BT, just hands free BT. So ive connected it via USB.

Here are a couple screenshots with info on the unit

Edit- just notice the pics arent on this phone so ill grab some shortly.

Edit- here ya go.

WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

Quick update. The head unit is working great, though I did notice a hang on MSDroid once the unit goes into standby during key off. Like running into the store. Turn the key back on and MSDroid pops right up, but everything but the GPS speed is frozen.

All it takes is me pressing "disconnect ecu" and pressing connect again.

Is there an automatic disconnect that can be implemented upon key off standby?

I dont mind waiting the additional 2 seconds to have it connect.

WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

Bumping this.

Hey Trev, can you look into making ms Droid disconnect everytime the unit is switched off?

I have to disconnect and reconnect to load projects again.

Thanks,
Will

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk