Unable to find ECU definition. Worked for over a year flawle

Use and development of MSDroid tuning software on Android

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Unable to find ECU definition. Worked for over a year flawle

Post by WillExoIX »

Unfortunately I have no log, and now can't even get MSDroid to find the ECU definition file.

It started as random lag on the gauge readouts in MSDroid. Then it started lagging more and more. When I'm doing 90mph on the highway the readout is completely locked. As soon as I exit and drop my speed it comes back, but laggy and random lockups.

Now I can't even connect.

MS2Extra 3.3.3. Serial to USB converter from DIY, connected to an Android 7" KitKat head unit. It's been working fine for over a year now.

I am going to start with the usual suspects, the android updates and such.

Also of note, this happened literally right after I updated MSDroid.

Any info needed just ask.
Any ideas?

Going to test the converter by connecting to the laptop to rule out the converter.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Megasquirt 2 V3.0 Running Msextra 3.4.2. in a 1989 Camaro RS .48AR/60mm Turbo 3.4L/700R4
Boost control, Fan control, Stepper IAC, Launch/Antilag, Working on the GMDIS, and Methanol injection
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Unable to find ECU definition. Worked for over a year fl

Post by WillExoIX »

Here is a pic of the screen. Car runs fine.Image

Megasquirt 2 V3.0 Running Msextra 3.4.2. in a 1989 Camaro RS .48AR/60mm Turbo 3.4L/700R4
Boost control, Fan control, Stepper IAC, Launch/Antilag, Working on the GMDIS, and Methanol injection
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

Well gee. Thanks for the help. The DIY adaptor finally died.

WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

This issue has gotten serious. The converter worked, then it wouldn't connect to the ecm, then in the middle of the road it stalled and when it started, it was misfiring like crazy and wouldn't stay running anything under 1\2 pedal and still misfire like crazy. AFR pegged at 10.

Unplug the converter and now the car runs fine. How can this go from one extreme to the other? It a DIY serial to USB converter.

Is MSDroid causing the issue coupled with a faulty adaptor?

Need some serious input here, this car CANNOT be stalling out while driving.

jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

What sort of adapter? Plugged into the RS232 port?

If the adapter (whatever it is) has failed internally it might be shorting 5V to ground.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

This is exactly what happened.

Drove to work, msdroid worked perfectly. Started the car for lunch, msdroid connected properly, and the display came up. On my way back from lunch, I noticed the display was locked up. So I hit Disconnect then Connect to ECM. It sat there for a second with the blinking arrows then the car stalled out of nowhere about 5 seconds later.

Just need to make sure this was only the adaptor.

WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

It's the one from the DIYAutotune website.

Goes=
MS2>SERIAL CABLE>CONVERTER>USB ON ANDROID UNIT

piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

You aren't using pin 9 for anything on the serial?
I had problems with another brand of USB adapter, installed a port extender and broke off pin 9 to prevent recurrence.

Pin 9 is usually N/C, but I had it wired to 5v for my BT adapter.
Have removed that now and use USB power for the BT as powered from the MS, the BT would lose connection and need manual assistance every time you cycled MS power.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

Nothing using any of the serial pins except the converter.

It had to have been an internal failure to cause it to run poorly while connected and fine disconnected no?

WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

I'm going to buy a new converter tomorrow.

Anyone have any recommendations on one?

WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

I bought a new converter, though this still happens from time to time.

Specifically I have noticed it happening after using the laptop for tuning then plugging it into the android head unit USB. Sometimes it connects to MSDROID flawless and I update the project with the new tune changes. And sometimes I get the unable to locate ECU definition file. Even though the only thing that changes is parts of the tune.

When this happens if I completely power down the head unit and reboot it and it's fine. So not outside the realm of possibility for it to be the head unit itself.

Though I REALLY wish msdroid would disconnect from the ECM every time the key is turned off/head unit sleeps.

It's annoying having to manually disconnect and reconnect every time I turn the car off at the store or getting gas. I have the head unit set to sleep for about 10 minutes before powering down with key off.

WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

Well here is a screenshot of the issue finally. Just started doing it again recently. Along with constantly reconnecting and reloading with the orange load bar after already being connected. Then it'll randomly just stop working.

The firmware mismatch comes out of nowhere. No changes were made at all. Start it one time it loads fine. Next time I get this firmware mismatch.

Also would really like to see this disconnect every time the ecm is powered off. Instead of staying connected as it just stays frozen after being suspended. It won't reconnect until I manually disconnect and reconnect it.Image

jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

It looks like the software has randomly inserted an underscore into the serial format string??

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".