Most reliable hook up MS3X

Use and development of MSDroid tuning software on Android

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

vw_chuck
Master MS/Extra'er

Most reliable hook up MS3X

Post by vw_chuck »

Stupid question but how do I connect MSDroid to my MS3X via a cable?
Do I plug into the USB port? Who sells a cable?
Do I plug into the RS232 plug? Who sells a cable?
Also does the MS charge the tablet via the USB?
Thanks for the help.
Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Most reliable hook up MS3X

Post by Trev16v »

Hello,

MSDroid has drivers for Prolific and FTDI USB interfaces. Therefore with MS3X I believe you would have several choices, because you could:

1. Use the MS3X internal USB/serial interface, which I believe is FTDI (I haven't checked so someone correct me if I'm wrong). Therefore all you would need to do is use the appropriate USB cable (just a cable, not an interface) between your MS3X and Android device.

2. The other usual way is to buy an FTDI or Prolific-based USB to serial interface. You would plug the USB side into your tablet and the serial side into the MS serial port. But, since you have MS3X with an internal USB interface, there's no sense in this option for you.

Trev
Golf MK2 G60 Syncro with 16VG60 on MSNS-E

MSDroid :: MegaSquirt tuning on Android

Dennis_Zx7r
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Dennis_Zx7r »

What you're looking for is USB-OTG. However, make sure your device supports this; there are apps to check this.
You can also use a Bluetooth adapter for the MS (<5€if you're fine with soldering) if you don't like the cable or your device doesn't support USB-OTG.
The internal MS3 USB interface works with MSDroid, used this for testing purposes a while ago.
My project: Link
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

USB cables sem more prone to picking up interference. If you need a fairly long one, you may do better with a decent well screened serial cable and a USB to serial adaptor at the computer end.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

DaveEFI wrote:USB cables sem more prone to picking up interference. If you need a fairly long one, you may do better with a decent well screened serial cable and a USB to serial adaptor at the computer end.
This I discovered over time will wear the serial to usb adaptor to the point it breaks. Doesn't take much time at all if tuning frequently.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Megasquirt 2 V3.0 Running Msextra 3.4.2. in a 1989 Camaro RS .48AR/60mm Turbo 3.4L/700R4
Boost control, Fan control, Stepper IAC, Launch/Antilag, Working on the GMDIS, and Methanol injection