Remote Tuner Available

Post here if you are seeking local tuner assistance

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Remote Tuner Available

Post by elutionsdesign »

Calspecial I see several issues but the biggest is a lack of rpm input. Without that the ECU will not try to do anything because it doesn't know the engine is trying to run.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
Calspecial
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Calspecial »

Any ideas on what would cause that situation? When I was cranking it, I specifically looked for the RPM gauge to move, and it was registering 137 RPM . It is wired according to the instructions for the GM HEI 8 pin connection, with pinout as stated in the document. I just replaced the ignition module with a different one, and it again fired up for just a second, then subsequent attempts at starting it failed. I them recycled the ECU and got it to fire again, but then again nothing after that. I am attaching a new log file, but it was not from when it fired. I also watched the tach on the tuner studio and on my instrument cluster, and both were showing a tac reading of ~135 RPM while cranking. I also saw injector pulses on the tuner display. Maybe they pulses as to large and it is flooding it out? I still do not get the fuel pump firing up when I turn on the key, and it should be happening for 2 seconds. Correct?
Here is the new log file.
2016-08-08_20.36.59.msl
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

That log is better, there is rpm present and the injectors are trying to fire. To get the motor to run you need fuel, air, spark (at the right time) and compression, do you have all of those? Compression appears to be ok during cranking.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
Calspecial
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Calspecial »

I got my butt shocked off testing the coil, and I get spark at the plugs. The motor is brand new with plenty of compression. There is plenty of air to the motor running through 4" pipe, and I even tried giving it throttle during cranking to make sure. I have grounded the fuel pump during cranking as well to make sure that there is pressure in the lines, but nothing seems to work to get it running. I even tried to spray starting fluid in the intake, but still nothing. That leads me to believe that it would be spark related, but I get spark. I double checked that the distributor was on terminal one at TDC.
Leviticus6432
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Leviticus6432 »

I have a Samurai I'm swapping a j20a into and need help with my ms2 build and tune. Please email me at Leviticus6432@gmail.com and we can discuss this more. Thanks.
Calspecial
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Calspecial »

I figured out some of the problem, and got it running. Some of the problem was in the wire harness that was from the existing motor. They did some funky wiring from the factory that I could not see until I opened up the harness and found where I was getting some extra power to the injectors that I was not expecting. I have corrected that problem and will test it in the morning.
What do you think of the initial tune? I hope to be able to take it to the lake Friday to do some more tuning on the lake. Let me know what you think of the initial tune. If you want to make some tweaks to it and attach it I would be grateful.
Thanks for you help so far.
Calspecial
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Calspecial »

Well, I got it started and running, but it is real ruff and slow on the idle. It did not respond to throttle in terms of accelerating, it wanted to make it die it I tried to open the throttle to much. Here is the log file from it running.
2016-08-10_19.31.20.msl
Calspecial
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Calspecial »

Never mind, I found someone local the is helping me, and we got it running last night. Thanks
LanceM
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by LanceM »

Looking for remote tuner help. Please PM me
ManiacLachy
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ManiacLachy »

Hi, I'm looking for some help with fine tuning my setup. Mostly idle and driveablity related.
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

PM's sent.

RUMbleBUGgy
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by RUMbleBUGgy »

I'm looking for remote tuning help. I'm very much interested in learning the ins and outs.
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

PM sent.

jcgcrawler
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by jcgcrawler »

Im also interested in some remote tuning on my new ms3pro setup. thanks
OOC_Performance
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by OOC_Performance »

Could you shoot me an email, have a few question on the setup im running. Brennden.baie@gmail.com
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

Replies sent.

RomyJ
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by RomyJ »

Hey, Im having trouble tuning my stock 1996 Mazda miata. It starts fine with out dying but idles very low around 500rpm on open loop warmup. When I go to run the idle valve test it doesn't respond to any of the values. If you wouldn't mind helping me out I would definitely apreaciate it! Email : romanmontelongo88@gmail.com
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

If it's not responding to changes in duty cycle in the idle valve test then something isn't connected correctly. Does it make any sound with the key on, engine not running and changing duty cycle values?

RomyJ
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by RomyJ »

You might be right I bought this diypnp already assembled from a guy somewhere in texas and maybe he set it up differently for his 95 miata. It doesn't matter if the car is on or off the idle valve makes no noise at all which is weird because with the stock ecu it works just fine. So far i've tried different valve frequency values, run valve before start option, cleaning the iacv with no luck. The dypnp also looks to be connected just how diyauto suggests with IAC to 4Q, Diode on R5 pull up with branded side to 12v. Got any ideas on what could be wrong?
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

Grab a voltmeter and start troubleshooting, it does sound like the idle circuit in the ECU isn't doing it's job. I do repairs as well if this is the conclusion.