No one will work with this ECU

Post here if you are seeking local tuner assistance

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

MaxxAction
Helpful MS/Extra'er

No one will work with this ECU

Post by MaxxAction »

Hey guys...

I have called every dyno shop within 250 miles, and none of them will even attempt to work with the megasquirt ECU. One guy said ti would be cost prohibitive because he didn't know it, and a couple of others said the software is too "rudimentary" in comparison to others they work with. I would really like to get my car on a dyno, but it appears this is going to be a problem. Any thoughts on where I can go in TN, NC, SC, or north GA to find someone to work with this system?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: No one will work with this ECU

Post by jsmcortina »

What condition is your current tune in?
Does the car start drive and run ok?
Are you asking for a "final tune" or a "get me going tune" ?

For a "final tune" then just about any tuner ought to be fine - the fuel and spark tables look just the same as most other general purpose aftermarket ECUs I've seen.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

In north Georgia, there are three dyno shops we work pretty closely with - Forged Performance in Marietta, Balanced Performance in Sugar Hill, and Kurgan Motorsports in Braselton.

What MS variant are you working with, and how far along is the install at this point?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
MaxxAction
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MaxxAction »

jsmcortina wrote:What condition is your current tune in?
Does the car start drive and run ok?
Are you asking for a "final tune" or a "get me going tune" ?

For a "final tune" then just about any tuner ought to be fine - the fuel and spark tables look just the same as most other general purpose aftermarket ECUs I've seen.

James
Well actually....

it is running pretty well. I am having an issue getting the idle stable with a lot of electrical load on the motor, but everywhere else, autotune has done a pretty good job getting the AFR's right where they should be.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

How are you controlling idle speed? Also, IIRC, autotune may not work well at idle or very low revs.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
JAM
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by JAM »

if idle is you only issue you should be able to work through that with people here on forum by posting you msq and logs.

you might try getting a smooth idle a bit high if your having problems and work it down a little at a time, if its a street car mild cam maybe target 1000-1100 rpm idle to start out. just a thought
MaxxAction
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MaxxAction »

JAM wrote:if idle is you only issue you should be able to work through that with people here on forum by posting you msq and logs.

you might try getting a smooth idle a bit high if your having problems and work it down a little at a time, if its a street car mild cam maybe target 1000-1100 rpm idle to start out. just a thought

Hey Jam....

spot on in your comments. It will idle smooth, even with a load on it at 1100 RPM, that is with some extra steps in the IAC, and lowering the timing. If the idle being a little high is the only problem I have, I am doing ok.
dieselgeek
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by dieselgeek »

I get to north Atlanta often these days. But I bet you can work it out with help here. If your AFRs vary with idle load, watch your battery voltage and maybe compensate with the dead time corrections.
Squirted: it's easier to list the ones I haven't squirted. I need to do more motorcycle engines!
slyrye
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by slyrye »

I can tune and work with the electricals as well, I all am open for sponsorship and job opportunity... Ryan from the Philippines...! :yeah!: :yeah!: :yeah!:
MSnS'n'4G15
slyrye
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by slyrye »

MaxxAction wrote:Hey guys...

I have called every dyno shop within 250 miles, and none of them will even attempt to work with the megasquirt ECU. One guy said ti would be cost prohibitive because he didn't know it, and a couple of others said the software is too "rudimentary" in comparison to others they work with. I would really like to get my car on a dyno, but it appears this is going to be a problem. Any thoughts on where I can go in TN, NC, SC, or north GA to find someone to work with this system?
"rudimentary"? common reply from preying gearheads wanting to sell off their favorite engine management and are incompetent about the greatness Megasquirt has to offer..!
MSnS'n'4G15
toonz
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by toonz »

slyrye wrote:
MaxxAction wrote:Hey guys...

"rudimentary"? common reply from preying gearheads wanting to sell off their favorite engine management and are incompetent about the greatness Megasquirt has to offer..!
no kidding... it's quite the opposite actually. .. THEIR stand alone EMS' s are the ones that are limited... MS seems to be without limitations and even on the building of your own board!
wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by wes kiser »

Where are you actually located?

If idle is your only real issue, as others have pointed out there isn't really a need to travel and spend $$ to make that acceptable.
86 Rx-7, swapped to 2.3 ford turbo (BW EFR 6758), ms3/ms3x sequential fuel /waste spark, ls2 coils
88 Tbird 2.3t, Microsquirt Module (PIMP), TFI ignition